You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous1234Next
Current Page:2 of 4
awrightski

Last Visited: 10:02
2nd Dec 2020
Re: Glenshee 2020
Date Posted: 21.48hrs on Tue 3 Mar 20
Thanks both 👍👍
ropetow

Last Visited: 09:08
13th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 12.57hrs on Wed 4 Mar 20
Im not seeing any questions on this topic that are not legitimate questions - Communication is a two way thing and none of the scottish ski centres websites/twitter/facebook are examples of really good customer communication - all can be improved.

If lifts are off because of lack of snow on uptracks - or the planned chairlift didnt run because of whatever reason - just put it out there and tell it as it is.

Same with the discounting - just put how it works on the website and folks can make a choice before they go.

andy9127

Last Visited: 15:07
18th Mar 2020
Date Posted: 20.38hrs on Wed 4 Mar 20
Anyone know if there is any park features/good natural hits set up at Glenshee? Trying to decide between there and the Lecht for Friday.
SCOTTISH72

Last Visited: 01:26
6th Dec 2020
Date Posted: 22.56hrs on Wed 4 Mar 20
Good natural hits don't need set up, and the Glenshee team have enough on their plate at the moment trying to get more tows and terrain opened up without dicking around building jumps and setting up rails.
andy9127

Last Visited: 15:07
18th Mar 2020
Date Posted: 08.04hrs on Thu 5 Mar 20
I know they don't need set up, I'm asking if they've formed. And building jumps/rails will attract a different crowd to Glenshee over other resorts, so I wouldn't class it as 'dicking around'.
WeeSam

Last Visited: 00:53
5th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 11.47hrs on Thu 5 Mar 20
SCOTTISH72 Wrote:
Good natural hits don't need set up, and the Glenshee team have enough on their plate at the moment trying to get more tows and terrain opened up without dicking around building jumps and setting up rails.

operating a diverse range of snowsports activities at a snowsports centre is dicking around?

how old are you? 86?

There's a lot of Basil Fawlty's on this thread, and worse, too many Basil Fawlty types running hospitality and services in our country. Genuine criticism, reflecting personal customer experience is just waved off, and people are told to "stop moaning, this is Scotland, you should expect crap service". Worse, its often coming from other customers!

Some people - on this thread - have said (I paraphrase) its difficult running winter sports in a cold climate so we should cut the operators some slack. You couldn't make it up...

Highland hospitality my arse..
growwild

Date Posted: 16.56hrs on Thu 5 Mar 20
Hahaha, I'll agree with all that!
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 17.31hrs on Thu 5 Mar 20
WeeSam Wrote:
SCOTTISH72 Wrote:

operating a diverse range of snowsports activities at a snowsports centre is dicking around?

how old are you? 86?

There's a lot of Basil Fawlty's on this thread, and worse, too many Basil Fawlty types running hospitality and services in our country. Genuine criticism, reflecting personal customer experience is just waved off, and people are told to "stop moaning, this is Scotland, you should expect crap service". Worse, its often coming from other customers!

Some people - on this thread - have said (I paraphrase) its difficult running winter sports in a cold climate so we should cut the operators some slack. You couldn't make it up...

Highland hospitality my arse..

The biggest problem is staffing, EU staff lost, staff from very remote businesses lost to less remote ones because of EU staff leaving. 3 of the resorts at least are practically at breaking point with respect to staffing issues - the situation isn’t sustainable to put it mildly. Lots of tourism and activity businesses are in similar situations.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 17.36hrs Thu 5 Mar 20 by alan.
WeeSam

Last Visited: 00:53
5th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 18.41hrs on Thu 5 Mar 20
Sure, the tourism sector for too long has relied on cheap foreign labour.

My heart bleeds.
growwild

Date Posted: 18.46hrs on Thu 5 Mar 20
Staff wanted - hours dependent on natures whims

Dunno why staff fae europe would wanna sit about twiddling their thumbs waiting on a job more than folk fae this wee island ?

Lack of investment over the years is the main problem, weather would be next for the ski industry here that's a bit bloated and needs trimming when looked at by eyes instead of hearts...

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 18.49hrs Thu 5 Mar 20 by growwild.
actionslax

Last Visited: 06:34
7th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 21.43hrs on Thu 5 Mar 20
andy9127 Wrote:
Anyone know if there is any park features/good natural hits set up at Glenshee? Trying to decide between there and the Lecht for Friday.

Andy - I was up on Wednesday. No man-made structures in place yet but there were a few side hits and 'fun' air time to be had on most of the runs. The bunny run gully provided much entertainment and the lofty but nice natural jump at the end of the bunny run was fun for floaty poppy airs. Unusually well formed this year. Like most of the resorts they'll all have natural bits - just need to source them out and hit them! Not sure what the Lecht will have.

And, I'm sure they will get the rails and boxes out soon. Can't remember if they're managed by the Aberdeen Snowsports crew.

ML

Last Visited: 15:59
21st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 11.03hrs on Fri 6 Mar 20
Glenshee seem to be raking in the punters. Full car park every day.
Plus the snow factory gave them a stable base with the Plastic/DinkDink.

Wonder if they have plans with the money.
Ad_Hynkel

Last Visited: 12:28
12th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 11.27hrs on Fri 6 Mar 20
ML Wrote:

Probably just survival after the first 2-3 months of this season. smiling smiley

Let's hope this run continues and they have something spare at the end of it.
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 11.48hrs on Fri 6 Mar 20
WeeSam Wrote:
Sure, the tourism sector for too long has relied on cheap foreign labour.

My heart bleeds.

The Single European Act and investment from EU structural funds played a very significant part in stopping and starting to reverse 3 centuries of Highland depopulation. Now the gains post devolution are at risk because of something no part of Scotland voted for.

The people you use pejorative language for were citizens with full rights to make this their home snd live / work here. People are losing colleagues and friends because of this.

In case it’s beyond your grasp, it isn’t possible for companies to employ people that don’t exist. Pay has little to do with it, the fact is there aren’t the numbers of UK citizens either willing to live in very remote areas or do the travelling to work in remote businesses from even rural towns.

One advantage getting staff from elsewhere in the EU was getting staff from places with a much more enlightened attitude to their rural / remote areas, living and working in such places and equally having a more positive outlook on jobs in various parts of the hospitality, activity and tourism sectors.
ML

Last Visited: 15:59
21st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 12.40hrs on Fri 6 Mar 20
Ad_Hynkel Wrote:
ML Wrote:

Probably just survival after the first 2-3 months of this season.

Let's hope this run continues and they have something spare at the end of it.

But that's my point, the snowfactory gave them a stable base. Even though not much was open, they did have skieers/schools visiting. In previous years they would have been closed.

Maybe they can finally put in the new quad chair, or expand snowmaking to claybokie for example.
Goto Page:  Previous1234Next
Current Page:2 of 4
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: