You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous1234Next
Current Page:3 of 4
remote_patrol

Last Visited: 22:53
20th Apr 2021
Re: Glenshee 2020
Date Posted: 15.10hrs on Fri 6 Mar 20
i wouldn't be so sure, remember running the snowfactory has significant associated costs. I'd be surprised if they got too far past break-even (if that) when they just had the plastic/dinkdink. now if they had a windmill too.....

it did allow them to keep facilities available to local schools and ski schools for lessons, but i very much doubt it was financially sustainable. as a top up to fill in thin areas, and deal with thaws, sure, but on it's own not so much.

in any case though, good to see white hills and happy faces up there at long last. was up yesterday and it was amazing.

tim1mw

Date Posted: 18.33hrs on Fri 6 Mar 20
While noting that Glas Maol isn't on the scheduled lifts for Saturday there were 3 Piste bashers working out that way today, so something is afoot. Both the run out from the black and the red were being prepared. The lift still only had about 1/3 of it hangers fully in place, as of 1pm, but fingers crossed it might turn tomorrow. Will post a few pictures in the public reports in a moment.

Corrie Fionn came on about 12, the snow down there is excellent.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 18.37hrs Fri 6 Mar 20 by tim1mw.

tim1mw

Date Posted: 18.51hrs on Fri 6 Mar 20
Ok, well I tried to upload photos to the public reports, but I'm getting a blank page with no error message on every attempt, so here's a few instead.

First ride up the Cairnwell Chair.

Caenlocahn, the only significant queues of the day were on this lift.

A well filled carpark from Sunnyside

The centre valley from Caenlocahn

Glas Maol

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 18.57hrs Fri 6 Mar 20 by tim1mw.

Attachments: IMG_9641sm.jpg (100kB)   IMG_9664sm.jpg (81kB)   IMG_9658sm.jpg (80kB)   IMG_9665sm.jpg (73kB)   IMG_9685sm.jpg (36kB)  
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 19.20hrs on Fri 6 Mar 20
Tim, there’s an issue with the GD2 apache module on this server build, it only accepts very small images. We’re trying to fix this at the moment - if you have more pix could you email them to me. The pix from the slopes uploader uses imagemsgick so is ok atm.

PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 20.26hrs on Fri 6 Mar 20
alan Wrote:
WeeSam Wrote:
Sure, the tourism sector for too long has relied on cheap foreign labour.

My heart bleeds.

The Single European Act and investment from EU structural funds played a very significant part in stopping and starting to reverse 3 centuries of Highland depopulation. Now the gains post devolution are at risk because of something no part of Scotland voted for.

The people you use pejorative language for were citizens with full rights to make this their home snd live / work here. People are losing colleagues and friends because of this.

In case it’s beyond your grasp, it isn’t possible for companies to employ people that don’t exist. Pay has little to do with it, the fact is there aren’t the numbers of UK citizens either willing to live in very remote areas or do the travelling to work in remote businesses from even rural towns.

One advantage getting staff from elsewhere in the EU was getting staff from places with a much more enlightened attitude to their rural / remote areas, living and working in such places and equally having a more positive outlook on jobs in various parts of the hospitality, activity and tourism sectors.

Brilliantly put Alan.

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 23.47hrs on Fri 6 Mar 20
More of Tims Photos: [winterhighland.info]

If you've got photos please send them to pix2020 at winterhighland dot info.

WeeSam

Last Visited: 00:53
5th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.28hrs on Sat 7 Mar 20
alan Wrote:

The people you use pejorative language for were citizens with full rights to make this their home snd live / work here.

pejorative?
what planet are you on?

What is stopping the people living here staying here? Nothing. You're being hysterical, and deliberately avoiding the point and colouring it with emotional rather than practical points.

paulo

Last Visited: 21:31
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 22.36hrs on Sun 8 Mar 20
WeeSam Wrote:

Some people - on this thread - have said (I paraphrase) its difficult running winter sports in a cold climate so we should cut the operators some slack. You couldn't make it up...

Err not sure what planet you've been on, but it's hardly been a cold winter. Season didn't get going until Feb. Then they've got to get hold of enough staff to get the lifts running, and just a few weeks to make enough money to stay afloat for another year. Doesn't seem like an easy way to make a living to me, but if you know better why don't you make them an offer ?

ropetow

Last Visited: 09:08
13th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 13.23hrs on Mon 9 Mar 20
All the more reason to capture and retain more paying customers.

There's no excuse for not having good quality basic communication out via your website and twitter/facebook feeds.
'
Likewise there's no excuse for having spelling mistakes and text you cant read because of the text and background colours.

It might seem trivial - but its a relatively cheap and easy fix.

gregh

Last Visited: 14:11
20th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 12.18hrs on Tue 10 Mar 20
Does anyone know if Glenshee opened today? Their webcams are showing 8th March, their website says lifts "expected to open", and can't see anything on Twitter or Facebook!

BASI L2, turning an 'off-piste junkie' into a 'piste-performance head'My slice of t'internet

steelytail

Last Visited: 22:18
22nd Mar 2020
Date Posted: 07.08hrs on Wed 11 Mar 20
Glenshee was open. Plenty lifts running and decent snow on most runs. Quiet on the hill. Started to snow after 1pm.

gregh

Last Visited: 14:11
20th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 09.04hrs on Wed 11 Mar 20
steelytail Wrote:
Glenshee was open. Plenty lifts running and decent snow on most runs. Quiet on the hill. Started to snow after 1pm.

Thanks, think I'll head up from Leeds then for a slide tomorrow!

BASI L2, turning an 'off-piste junkie' into a 'piste-performance head'My slice of t'internet

Dunc

Last Visited: 09:47
18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 11.19hrs on Fri 13 Mar 20
Can anyone report on the snow conditions at Glenshee from today, Friday maybe? Webcam still stuck on last weekend. And I'd like to go up Sunday.
Thanks
Dunc
I did email Glenshee in case they were unaware their webcam was stuck, but didnae get a reply

PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 12.32hrs on Fri 13 Mar 20
Dunc, their facebook page has been publishing pictures and it looks pretty good though nowhere near as much snow as the West Coast. They have a webcam on order apparently but I've no idea when it will be up and running.

I'm hoping to be at Glenshee tomorrow and Sunday though the weather wont be like today. My plan is they will have more lifts operational than elsewhere ! we'll see !

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 12.34hrs Fri 13 Mar 20 by PeterS.

Bob

Date Posted: 16.50hrs on Fri 13 Mar 20
Dunc - superb today with bright sunshine until about 2pm. Snow in great nick with East side of the hill all superb, Fionn bowl closed but main run good. Butcharts and Slalom race track were beautiful snow. The webcam is down so no look-see available that way, I've spoken to Shee staff about it and they are aware of the issue. The place was pretty full today anyway. Back Passage AKA Home run off Caenlochan tow was highlight. If you go, Enjoy!
ATB - Bob

Goto Page:  Previous1234Next
Current Page:3 of 4
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: