You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  1234Next
Current Page:1 of 4
muzza

Last Visited: 09:31
12th Sep 2020
Glenshee Ticketing
Date Posted: 10.12hrs on Fri 28 Feb 20
I had the pleasure of vising Glenshee for the first time in 2 years on Wednesday 26/2. I knew it would be busy, and it was, but it's good to see money going into the Scottish centres this season after a couple of poor years. The pistes were in good shape, lifties friendly and despite the queues I had an enjoyable day. Only the ticketing arrangements let Glenshee down.

As it was going to be busy, I bought my liftpass online the night before, printed out my receipt and headed up on the Wednesday morning. The receipt told me to pass the ticket windows and go to an internal ticket office to get my liftpass, so I walked pass a huge queue to the office only to see a sign telling me to join the main queue. I headed back to the queue, probably 20 places back from if I had just joined it in the first place.

I then waited 40 minutes to get served due to the crazy situation where people had to order and pay for ski hire at the ticket office, but only 2 of the windows were arranging this, while the other 2 were selling tickets only, but there was only 1 queue and much confusion which slowed everything down.

Once I got to the window I then had to wait while instead of using the QR code or reference number on the receipt, the assistant leafed through a bundle of printed receipts in a leaver arch file. After 2 minutes of this they couldn't find what they were looking for and issued me a lift pass. To add insult to injury the passes had been reduced to £30, but I had paid £32 online, and there was no refund available.

The moral of the story is don't bother booking online passes at Glenshee, it takes you longer and, at present, costs you more.
ropetow

Last Visited: 09:08
13th Apr 2021
Re: Glenshee Ticketing
Date Posted: 11.45hrs on Fri 28 Feb 20
I agree - was up at half term and got caught in the 2 queue situation - where the left queue was for tickets and hire - but no-one had mentioned this and i had to hang around for 30 minutes waiting on kids to be weighed when i only wanted 3 tickets and had the right cash in my hand.

Could they not do a queuebuster walking down the lines for cash only?

Had a great day though and all credit to Glenshee for getting as much area open as possible.

Lapping Butcharts T bar with the whiteout at the top and watching the chap with the jet pack was a big hit.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11.48hrs Fri 28 Feb 20 by ropetow.
jas

Last Visited: 21:23
30th Dec 2020
Date Posted: 13.45hrs on Fri 28 Feb 20
Glenshee are normally super speedy in the ticket office and getting lifts going in the morning but I did notice it all seemed a bit slow the other week. I wonder if they are short staffed. Surly it must be hard to get casual staff in to cover busy times ie lifties. So maybe this takes staff away from other duties?
Had a great day though.

Phil56

Last Visited: 10:15
11th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 20.13hrs on Sun 1 Mar 20
I've been up to Glenshee twice this past week (Wed and Sat) and both times there's been a very unusually large queue for tickets. There are two separate queues, but at times it's been one large one. There are a couple of kiosks for ski hire and lift tickets and three separate ones for just lift tickets.

If you just want a lift ticket, then head past the queue that snakes back past the toilets and cafe and go to the kiosk windows on the right. There'll be a queue here, but it moves faster than the combined hire/lift ticket one.

There's a cash only window which didn't have many people using it - a pass on Saturday was £30 for adults and £20 for children.
Dunc

Last Visited: 09:47
18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 11.01hrs on Tue 3 Mar 20
Copied this from the Glenshee 2020 thread, as it seems it may be more appropriate here.....

As much as I love Glenshee (my favorite centre) I do have an issue with their pricing policy at the moment and wondered if anyone had come across the following issue:
So far this season Glenshee have not been charging their full area day pass rate of £32. Due to limited terrain (mostly Cairnwell side only) they have been discounting the full rate to £30, a saving of £2 for the customer, to reflect the limited terrain. I applaud that and Glenshee do it quite readily.
However, they then refuse to make any further discounts for say the punter having a season pass from another centre, or being a member of an SSS affiliated club.
Take the season pass from another centre, that would normally give a 30% discount at a different centre, therefore that customer normally would pay £22.40. However as Glenshee are refusing to discount more than the £2, they will charge that season pass holder £30.
So the season pass holder has to pay £7.60 more to ski on limited terrain, than they would if the whole area was available.
How does that make sense? They say their computers can't cope with a customer opting to pay full price and then receiving their normal discount. And they simply refuse to be flexible. I said I am being asked to pay more for less, and they just said "yes, that's the way it is. You don't have to ski here"
ropetow

Last Visited: 09:08
13th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 12.46hrs on Wed 4 Mar 20
If the discount for other area pass holders or SSS clubs is a courtesy discount - i.e. no money changes hand - then its just tough that you dont get the same level of discounting as folks that rock up with the cash.

Why should Glenshee offer additional discount over an above the limited area discount to someone who has a Glencoe pass - which hasnt financially benefitted Glenshee?

I'm guessing that any discounting arrangements are reciprocal - i.e. if Glencoe offered a limited area discount then Glenshee pass holders wouldnt get an additional discount.

On a plus - Glenshee have put info about the correct ticket queues on their website - so that is helpful. I didnt see any info though on a cash only window if one exists.
TroutWrestler

Last Visited: 18:01
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 20.44hrs on Wed 4 Mar 20
The 30% discount for holders of Season Passes from other centres may be a courtesy discount, but it is also a reciprocal agreement, and as such, should be honoured.
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 21.14hrs on Wed 4 Mar 20
ropetow Wrote:

Why should Glenshee offer additional discount over an above the limited area discount to someone who has a Glencoe pass - which hasnt financially benefitted Glenshee?

This is a mutal and reciprocal agreement between all five areas, even under circumstances where no other discounts are offered, this one is or at least should be. However, the discount is 30% off a full price ticket, not 30% off a discounted 'rack rate' price on a day.

However if the 30% of a full price ticket is less than the discounted rack rate, then the season pass holder should be able to buy the full price ticket with the normal 30% discount. This has been done to death over the years, the snowsports areas should be doing all they can to keep season pass holders. Its secure income irrespective of how the season pans out and its less pressure on ticket issuing facilities.

The evidence is clear that by getting a season pass, people tend to go more. That means more bums on seats in the cafes, more additional spend. Those that get best value from season passes, get them year in year out, those who are in and out are the ones who often buy one of the back of a good season and get stung with a bad season so don't renew then have to buy day passes in a good season!

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21.15hrs Wed 4 Mar 20 by alan.
growwild

Date Posted: 17.08hrs on Thu 5 Mar 20
Cash in king, crypto would be worth taking too. Fck paying tax till its staying here!
Dunc

18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 19.56hrs on Thu 5 Mar 20
Yes Alan. I agree. Problem is Glenshee ate not allowing a customer to elect to pay full rate and then receive the 30% discount. They say they're computers can't cope.
Dunc

18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 19.57hrs on Thu 5 Mar 20
Glenshee was awesome today though.
tim1mw

Date Posted: 19.16hrs on Fri 6 Mar 20
Dunc Wrote:
Yes Alan. I agree. Problem is Glenshee ate not allowing a customer to elect to pay full rate and then receive the 30% discount. They say they're computers can't cope.

If they are using a bought in commercial ticketing system that may well be true, it doesn't make it right though.
Randal

Date Posted: 22.01hrs on Thu 12 Mar 20
muzza Wrote:
I had the pleasure of vising Glenshee for the first time in 2 years on Wednesday 26/2. I knew it would be busy, and it was, but it's good to see money going into the Scottish centres this season after a couple of poor years. The pistes were in good shape, lifties friendly and despite the queues I had an enjoyable day. Only the ticketing arrangements let Glenshee down.

As it was going to be busy, I bought my liftpass online the night before, printed out my receipt and headed up on the Wednesday morning. The receipt told me to pass the ticket windows and go to an internal ticket office to get my liftpass, so I walked pass a huge queue to the office only to see a sign telling me to join the main queue. I headed back to the queue, probably 20 places back from if I had just joined it in the first place.

I then waited 40 minutes to get served due to the crazy situation where people had to order and pay for ski hire at the ticket office, but only 2 of the windows were arranging this, while the other 2 were selling tickets only, but there was only 1 queue and much confusion which slowed everything down.

Once I got to the window I then had to wait while instead of using the QR code or reference number on the receipt, the assistant leafed through a bundle of printed receipts in a leaver arch file. After 2 minutes of this they couldn't find what they were looking for and issued me a lift pass. To add insult to injury the passes had been reduced to £30, but I had paid £32 online, and there was no refund available.

The moral of the story is don't bother booking online passes at Glenshee, it takes you longer and, at present, costs you more.

I'm not sure this is a fair assessment. I visited earlier in the week with an e-ticket and they had an express window at which they scanned my e-ticket and it printed a physical ticket instantly.

To give them credit they seem to have invested in a new ticketing system. Perhaps they're still getting to grips with it?
01cookjk

Last Visited: 09:09
6th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 06.42hrs on Fri 13 Mar 20
I agree with Randel. I went on a busy Wednesday last week - the car park was full and lots of people there. There was indeed a quee for tickets, but this was moving quite quickly and I noticed 'trouble customers' being directed to a seperate desk or elswhere.

My E-ticket was scanned and sorted out within 4 mins of me joining a quee.

The lift quees were not bad either - 1min for the cairnwell chair, 3mins for the cairnwell T-bar, 1min for Claybokie. Everything else was pretty much get on and go. The one thing I was annoyed by was the toilets not being open at the Meal Odhar cafe.
Dunc

18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 11.25hrs on Fri 13 Mar 20

This is quoted on the Glenshee website:

"Season Ticket Holders at other Scottish Ski Areas will receive 30% off their day ticket (must provide season ticket)!"

But they are not honoring it on any already discounted ticket, even if that discount is only a pound. They claim they mean you'll get a discount on your FULL price day ticket. But it doesn't say that on their own website. So if they are not doing full price passes on a particular day, no discount. You are not allowed to opt to pay the full price and then receive your 30% discount. Poor show in my opinion.
Goto Page:  1234Next
Current Page:1 of 4
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: