You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous1234Next
Current Page:2 of 4
rtj1211

Last Visited: 10:44
23rd Mar 2020
Re: Glenshee Ticketing
Date Posted: 14.01hrs on Sat 21 Mar 20
I am amazed the five centres do not get together and issue a universal season pass allowing usage at any of the centres.

It would mean season ticket holders could follow where the best snow was and be rewarded for their loyal support of Scottish ski-ing. Modern ICT would allow detection of which passes are being used where so revenue sharing could be equitable.

You could still have a season ticket just for one centre if folks wanted that.
Jamizon

Last Visited: 13:21
3rd Nov 2023
Date Posted: 14.03hrs on Sat 21 Mar 20
rtj1211 Wrote:
I am amazed the five centres do not get together and issue a universal season pass allowing usage at any of the centres.

It would mean season ticket holders could follow where the best snow was and be rewarded for their loyal support of Scottish ski-ing. Modern ICT would allow detection of which passes are being used where so revenue sharing could be equitable.

You could still have a season ticket just for one centre if folks wanted that.

This already exists.
PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 15.30hrs on Fri 23 Oct 20
[www.ski-glenshee.co.uk]

Some important info about skiing at Glenshee this season.
telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 12.24hrs on Sat 24 Oct 20
Interesting
I wonder how far ahead one will need to buy car park ticket and if that is also online only

I often plan trips to glen shee the night before , so that won’t be an option this season, because have to buy lift pass online only and at least 24 hrs before you head up to the hill
sspeirs

Last Visited: 09:59
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 13.25hrs on Sat 24 Oct 20
yes 24 hours ahead is a bit off-putting. I can understand putting a limit in these times, however 12 hours would be better, if feasible, to give you a better idea of the weather. My 2c.
jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.35hrs on Sat 24 Oct 20
The failure to invest in modern hands free ticketing systems by the Scottish centres is coming home to roost if you ask me.
Jamizon

3rd Nov 2023
Date Posted: 14.59hrs on Sat 24 Oct 20
jabuzzard Wrote:
The failure to invest in modern hands free ticketing systems by the Scottish centres is coming home to roost if you ask me.

Suggestions? What is hands free ticketing?
ML

Last Visited: 15:59
21st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 16.02hrs on Sat 24 Oct 20
Like in EU resorts, with a turnstyle system and a RFC card you can place in your arm pocket?

Could be done with a ticket-machine instead of a pay-kiosk. Illimates some but not all of the contact moments.

Jamizon

3rd Nov 2023
Date Posted: 16.07hrs on Sat 24 Oct 20
ML Wrote:
Like in EU resorts, with a turnstyle system and a RFC card you can place in your arm pocket?

Could be done with a ticket-machine instead of a pay-kiosk. Illimates some but not all of the contact moments.

As apposed to a visually checked day ticket which requires no physical contact?
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 16.15hrs on Sat 24 Oct 20
jabuzzard Wrote:

Aye, a rip roaring success it’s been on CairnGorm, they must be approaching double digit numbers of new ticket system or major upgrades over a period the Lecht has had one system and Glenshee 2.

Oh and in the business case for the Funicular in year 2021/2 is the budget for another new system.

If ticket sales are to be limited and that is to control numbers turning up in the carpark in the first place there has to be an advanced cut off, I’d make it early hours of the day in question though if there was still availability.
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 16.22hrs on Sat 24 Oct 20
Jamizon Wrote:
ML Wrote:

Indeed, despite the RFID infrastructure behind the Epic Pass Vail Resorts also still used dated and barcoded paper tickets and there’s no gates involved. No nonsense of having to have a jacket compatible with the ticket system which specifies which arm you must have a pocket on. Can’t recall the last time I got through the Nevis ski data gates without having to move or take out ticket, when your holding skis and poles and trying to manoeuvre them through a turnstile it’s it’s just a complete PITA.
jabuzzard

16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 09.47hrs on Sun 25 Oct 20
Jamizon Wrote:
ML Wrote:

Except you have to queue to buy it, and someone hands over the day ticket which involves physical contact.

So let's step back a moment and consider what could be achieved with a hands free RFID system as seen on the continent.

Let's imagine in a moment of clarity the five centres agree to cooperate on this. So imagine that for a small fee say £5 I can get an RFID card possibly with my photo on (would probably be needed for season passes) that will last from season to season, and would work at all centres. The reason for charging for the card (they are basically cheap enough to give away) is encourage people to hold onto them from year to year.

Next imagine a mobile app/web page where I link one or more passes to an account.

I am now off to go skiing at say Glenshee. I arrive in the car park, I whip out my smarthphone make a few clicks and bingo my ski pass is now ready to use at Glenshee and the money is automatically transferred to Glenshee's bank account.

Or if you want to complain about mobile phone signals at the centres you could either buy the ticket that morning before you left. Alternatively you could put in a free car park WiFi system that is limited to just charging up your pass. Within two years Starlink will enable any centre to offer WiFi, and hopefully R100 will fix that with fibre in due course.

Hey the system could automatically limit numbers of passes that can be activated for the day. We could extend that so that a season pass has to be activated for each day too and if the limit is already reached no skiing for you.

As to the rubbish about being difficult to use. Any semi decent ski jacket purchased in at least the last 15 years will have a pocket on the left wrist for your pass. I would also note that it would be trivial to have sensors on both sides of the turnstile and I am pretty sure I have seen some.

Further if you have some sort of rubbish ski jacket without a wrist pocket you could for a very small sum buy a wrist mounted holder that you wear under your jacket. Alternatively you could offer users of such antiquated ski clothing an RFID Velcro wristband. A quick Google shows you can get them for under £1 each.

People who complain about RFID hands free lift passes are just a bunch of Luddite's with very little imagination IMHO. Lets face it if the hands free RFID systems where as awful as they claim why has every resort on the continent changed to use them? If it's not clear that's rhetorical question so don't bother answering they are not awful in the slightest.

PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 10.19hrs on Sun 25 Oct 20
The current system seems to work just fine. Simple is good. The Scottish centres don’t need to divide their ticket revenues between companies or closely analyse flow rates. Imagine the cost of installing gates at every lift and would they even work in the wet climate and without a permanent power supply? On busy days far easier to just open up a few more lift ticket windows and/or install a ticket vending machine?
Jamizon

3rd Nov 2023
Date Posted: 10.24hrs on Sun 25 Oct 20
jabuzzard Wrote:
Jamizon Wrote:
ML Wrote:

Except you have to queue to buy it, and someone hands over the day ticket which involves physical contact.

So let's step back a moment and consider what could be achieved with a hands free RFID system as seen on the continent.

Let's imagine in a moment of clarity the five centres agree to cooperate on this. So imagine that for a small fee say £5 I can get an RFID card possibly with my photo on (would probably be needed for season passes) that will last from season to season, and would work at all centres. The reason for charging for the card (they are basically cheap enough to give away) is encourage people to hold onto them from year to year.

Next imagine a mobile app/web page where I link one or more passes to an account.

I am now off to go skiing at say Glenshee. I arrive in the car park, I whip out my smarthphone make a few clicks and bingo my ski pass is now ready to use at Glenshee and the money is automatically transferred to Glenshee's bank account.

Or if you want to complain about mobile phone signals at the centres you could either buy the ticket that morning before you left. Alternatively you could put in a free car park WiFi system that is limited to just charging up your pass. Within two years Starlink will enable any centre to offer WiFi, and hopefully R100 will fix that with fibre in due course.

Hey the system could automatically limit numbers of passes that can be activated for the day. We could extend that so that a season pass has to be activated for each day too and if the limit is already reached no skiing for you.

As to the rubbish about being difficult to use. Any semi decent ski jacket purchased in at least the last 15 years will have a pocket on the left wrist for your pass. I would also note that it would be trivial to have sensors on both sides of the turnstile and I am pretty sure I have seen some.

Further if you have some sort of rubbish ski jacket without a wrist pocket you could for a very small sum buy a wrist mounted holder that you wear under your jacket. Alternatively you could offer users of such antiquated ski clothing an RFID Velcro wristband. A quick Google shows you can get them for under £1 each.

People who complain about RFID hands free lift passes are just a bunch of Luddite's with very little imagination IMHO. Lets face it if the hands free RFID systems where as awful as they claim why has every resort on the continent changed to use them? If it's not clear that's rhetorical question so don't bother answering they are not awful in the slightest.

Glenshee Website:
These will only be sold online you must specify the date required when booking. The booking must be made at least 24hrs in advance of arrival. Track and trace information will be collected via the booking form. You will still have to go to the ticket office to show your QR code to collect your ticket but because of no money transactions this will be a lot quicker and less contact.

Although not perfect, this system sounds like the best of both worlds - very limited contact and no requirement for turnstiles.

Edit: I don't disagree RFID ticketing is the way forward long to medium term. There are some poorly implemented solutions out there, and I think it's right the resorts have taken their time to work out the best way forward. I think you'd also be complaining if the resorts had rushed into an expensive RFID ticketing system which isn't reliable or compatible with Scottish mountain weather.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 10.55hrs Sun 25 Oct 20 by Jamizon.
jabuzzard

16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 20.56hrs on Sun 25 Oct 20
PeterS Wrote: On busy days far easier to just open up a few more lift ticket windows and/or install a ticket vending machine?

Except on busy days the queues for lift tickets are frequently very long in my repeated personal experience. On the other hand a RFID hands free system could effectively eliminate the queue full stop. Oh and staff have a cost. Explain to me how you surge your staff to make the queue go away in handful of seconds? You can't do that with a vending machine either.

The fabled Scottish mountain weather for systems not working is guff from Luddites to oppose change. I have seen them working just fine on the continent in -20°C whiteout or in the pouring rain and everything in between. All this stuff is well and truly fixed.
Goto Page:  Previous1234Next
Current Page:2 of 4
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: