You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12345678Next
Current Page:2 of 8
Soothsinger

Last Visited: 12:15
14th Dec 2020
Re: Travel in Scottish Government 5 Tier Covid Framework
Date Posted: 12.20hrs on Wed 4 Nov 20
It'll be a fine balancing act this year for sure. With everything else being shut, many people will notice that outdoor exercise is allowed.

Larger crowds than normal will head for the hills and before we know it'll look like a busy Saturday at T in The Park.

On the facebook groups there has been loads of posts from English people planning their first weekend skiing in Scotland since the option of going to France is gone.

Demand will be higher than ever and although everyone will be following the letter of the law, the large crowds and gatherings will not be in the spirit of the law.

......and saying that....it's still a business and the ski operators will still want to make money this season. So as long as they are operating within the letter of the law they'll do everything they can to make money to pay their bills and staff. And I don't blame them.

I haven't quite decided where I stand with it, although I think I am prepared to give it a miss this season just to try and avoid crowds and travel as much as possible.

www.DavidAJack.co.uk

scottEw

Date Posted: 14.33hrs on Wed 4 Nov 20
I had been reading this thread and was encouraged by the statements that outdoor exercise is deemed essential. However on a BBC Q & A page from a couple of days ago there was question regarding travel for golf across Tier 3 council areas.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

'Q: Am I allowed to travel from East Ayrshire to East Renfrewshire to play golf?

A: The neighbouring councils of East Ayrshire and East Renfrewshire are both level three areas.

One of the exemptions to the travel rule allows for 'local outdoor informal exercise such as walking, cycling or running'.

However, we put this particular question to the Scottish government and they said it would not be permitted as travelling from Kilmarnock to Giffnock, for example, was not 'local'.'

This is quite concerning if the central belt remains in Tier 3.

sspeirs

Last Visited: 09:59
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.15hrs on Thu 5 Nov 20
Well ... my optimism in the Scottish Government policies has been short lived. According to the detail pages on what's allowed (or not) in the 5 Tier description, appears that you can travel out of your local area for outdoor exercise ... but only for 5 miles - if I am reading this correctly at [www.gov.scot]

This won't let, with current tiers in place - for example - someone living in Tyndrum, which is in the Stirling area, (never mind the central belt) - ski at Glencoe.

Also appears that down south, you can travel for outdoor exercise with (it appears) no limits .... see #7 at [www.bbc.com] and also [www.gov.uk]

growwild

Date Posted: 23.38hrs on Fri 6 Nov 20
Ya should turn the English to Latin legalese translator aff on yer pc...

The original post wi' [forum.winterhighland.info] says someone in the Stirling area cannae go tae Glencoe unless it's essential. Tae change the past it is majic ya need, no fcking optimism!

I guess it was essential tae add the 5 mile bit in tae stop the confused eternally wondering what essentially is easy tae read guidance for all levels of society tae try 'n' make it be essentially easily understood?

Maf

Last Visited: 15:44
3rd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 08.18hrs on Sat 7 Nov 20
At the moment the travel advice is just that, advice. It is not law, yet. In my opinion the advice misses the point. Travel does not spread the virus, it is interaction between people that is the problem. Better advice would be "If you travel outside your own Local Authority Area avoid any interaction with people who are not in your own household while you are outside your own Local Authority Area ". That means no shopping, even for fuel and no going indoors anywhere. If you don't like the advice or don't want it made law you should write to your MSP, the First Minister, the Transport Secretary and put comments on the gov.scot website. Discussion here is interesting but I doubt if anyone actually in power looks here.

exile

Last Visited: 23:52
7th Nov 2020
Date Posted: 23.52hrs on Sat 7 Nov 20
It is worth remembering that this pandemic virus spread rapidly across the Lombardy ski region of Italy. It has been estimated that 7000 people in northern europe and scandinavia were infected through visits to one town; Ishgl in Austria. The first wave in France affected the ski regions and the current situation is less 2nd wave and more tsunami. 110,000 positive tests in France over 2 days this week.

We don't have the same apres-ski tradition or facilities but whether it was that or some other reason ski resorts have been a catalyst for infection. We need to plan carefully. Everything from lunches, lift queues and lavvies. Much as someone might leave Gretna with no infection, the toilet stop at Hamilton or the petrol stop in Cumbernauld might mean they pick up the virus and drop it off at the Spar in Blairgowrie or the cafe at Glenshee. Is a day of sliding worth the risk that you or others are infected with a horrible illness?

If I head up this year it will be with a full tank, a packed lunch, an outdoor face covering and on a weekday when it's less busy.

Maf

Last Visited: 15:44
3rd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 16.18hrs on Sun 8 Nov 20
Ischgl and St Anton were both subject to official enquiries about the very high infection rates that occurred there. It's no surprise that these two are "party central" for riotous apres ski - hundreds of drunken skiers and snowboarders from all over Europe crammed into bars and pubs and singing and shouting at the top of their voices. It was a recipe for disaster when there's an aerosol borne infection about. Both resorts are less than 90mins drive from northern Italy.

Social interaction was the problem there, so I agree. Fill your tank before you go,.take a packed lunch, no toilet breaks at public toilets, buy your tickets on line if you can and wear a face covering if you're anywhere near other people.

growwild

Date Posted: 23.03hrs on Sun 8 Nov 20
I've read bits here and there that snoods n scarfs are no good. The material creates more aerosol?

growwild

Date Posted: 20.24hrs on Tue 17 Nov 20
Ohhh well, thats it fcking law fae friday. The dibble will be handing oot fines if they can to those fuds that ask for it....

Online ticketing and season pass sales should be restricted tae levels that can travel during this time tae save the hassle of refunding season tickets cause of misselling..

It's also good to see that Nevis, the Lecht, Glenshee and Cairngorms have some info regarding the current situation on their websites, must mean something to their customers that they have a plan and it's on the centres radar.

Ostrichism say a lot too, if they never had info I wouldn't trust them tae clean the bogs let alone make it safe for punters during the cull..

winterhighland

Last Visited: 18:04
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 22.16hrs on Fri 27 Nov 20
Here are some charts which show the current weeks situation across Scotland. The obsession by the UK Government with Christmas seems to be one of the factors driving Covid restriction levels higher than several of the criteria used to make the decision would suggest, though another factor is ICU capacity in hotspot areas.

However there is some reasonably positive signs that the restriction level in at least some of the Level 3 and 4 areas might drop on or by 11th December.

If lift served snow sports was possible at present, anyone in the light blue or dark blue areas could travel to any of the resorts if open, including from the South of Scotland as travelling through the level 3 and 4 areas in the Central Scotland is permitted (as journey begins and ends in a lower level). It would be possible for people in Perth and Kinross and Angus to travel to Glenshee (by virtue of the ski area being within 5 miles of the council boundary - Glas Maol is a junction between Aberdeenshire, Perth and Kinross and Angus. As directly neighbouring this is more clear cut for P&K as the council boundary is the southern end of the Carpark.

It would also be technically within the regulations for people in Perth and Kinross (level 3) to travel to Glencoe Mountain Resort as the council boundary reaches just within 5miles of the resort carpark - but either transit through Stirling (level 4) or longer journey via the A86 to go straight into Highland would be required. Stirling boundary falls 11-12miles from the ski area at Glencoe!

Here's charts showing Covid prevalence and test positivity rates by local authority - grouped by current restrictions level. Councils to the left of the centre line of their band have seen Covid reduce in the past week, councils to the right of the centre line are seeing Covid increasing:

More data charts at [www.travellingtabby.com]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 22.24hrs Fri 27 Nov 20 by winterhighland.

sspeirs

Last Visited: 09:59
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.30hrs on Wed 2 Dec 20
"People need hope" - article from Canada - hear hear! [www.snow-forecast.com]

growwild

Date Posted: 23.40hrs on Thu 3 Dec 20
That's a pulitzer prize winner there.

There's a good covering of snow on the hills round Glasgow teasing the higher tiers..

Is sledging essential ?

Not Logged In

Date Posted: 17.03hrs on Sat 5 Dec 20
Not sure is any of you follow this government site,

[public.tableau.com]

If you choose Highland it breaks down each local area to individual cases.

During the first outbreak Aviemore did very well, with very few, if any cases. The problem happened at the October school holiday weeks when everyone descended on the village, cases sky rocketed and we ended up in the red zone, starting in cafe Mambo then the boat Hotel and on-wards.

At the moment this is the quietest time of the year for visitors and it has taken to now for the numbers to calm down, I think it is one this week and zero last week.

No matter how people interoperate the rules on travel the concern is people are going to come up from the central belt high concentration zones and England and it is going to kick off again. My concern is touching T-bars and poma poles. No matter how careful you are you will be touching something someone else has just touched with their glove and you can guarantee someone will have touched their face / nose etc before you whither it is an adult or child and I know I rub my cold nose with the back of my ski glove all the time without thinking about it, which is not good.

It is a dilemma, people want to ski and get exercise; resorts want to stay in business but at the same time is has been shown the more visitors to the area the numbers will go up no matter how careful people are being. Are you being selfish coming into a zone one area or are you helping the local economy, what is the most important? I don't have an answer to that.

winterhighland

Last Visited: 18:04
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 19.50hrs on Fri 18 Dec 20
Here are the updated versions of the charts posted above. The 5 commercial ski areas are currently as of 6pm Fri 18th Dec under the following Covid Restrictions:

CairnGorm (Highland): Level 1
Glencoe (Highland): Level 1

The Lecht (Moray/Aberdeenshire): Level 1/3

Glenshee (Aberdeenshire): Level 3

Please note that Nevis Range is currently closed with a projected opening date of early March.

Council Covid Protection Levels:

The following charts showing Covid prevalence and test positivity rates by local authority - grouped by current restrictions level. Councils to the left of the centre line of their band have seen Covid reduce in the past week, councils to the right of the centre line are seeing Covid increasing:

View Larger: [pbs.twimg.com]

View Larger: [pbs.twimg.com]

More data charts at [www.travellingtabby.com]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 19.53hrs Fri 18 Dec 20 by winterhighland.

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 21.20hrs on Thu 24 Dec 20
This is the pertinent section of the current statutory instrument in force with respect to Coronavirus Movement Restrictions with respect to local authorities under a 'Level 4 - Lockdown'.

The Health Protection (Coronavirus) (Restrictions and Requirements) (Local Levels) (Scotland) Regulations 2020 - Schedule 5 - Part 4.

[www.legislation.gov.uk] .

Restrictions on leaving Level 4 area
14.—(1) A person who lives in a Level 4 area must not leave or remain away from that area.

(2) But a person who lives in a Level 4 area may leave the area in order to travel to another part of the same area.

Restrictions on entering Level 4 area
15.—(1) A person who does not live in a Level 4 area must not enter or remain in that area.

(2) But a person who does not live in a Level 4 area may travel through it in order to reach a place outwith the area.

Examples of reasonable excuse

16.—(1) For the purposes of this Part, examples of what constitutes a reasonable excuse (see regulation 5(4)) include leaving or remaining away from the area in which the person lives, or (as the case may be) entering or remaining in a Level 4 area that the person does not live in, for the purposes set out in sub-paragraph (2).

(t)exercise outdoors, provided that the exercise—
(i)is not organised, and
(ii)starts and ends at the same place, which place must be—
(aa)in the local government area in which the person lives, or
(bb)within 5 miles of such local government area,

Goto Page:  Previous12345678Next
Current Page:2 of 8
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: