You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12345678Next
Current Page:4 of 8
jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Re: Travel in Scottish Government 5 Tier Covid Framework
Date Posted: 13.20hrs on Thu 31 Dec 20
growwild Wrote:
There is no evidence to say cold and snow kills the covid, research says the opposite. UV light has been mentioned a lot but it's UVC light that's used to kill germs, bacteria etc. If UVC light was everywhere we'd be living underground but thanks to the ozone layer we aint. The media rarely go into detail.

Not much data in regards to fabric though a lotta gloves have metal on them as do clothing. Moisture plays a part too in keeping the virus going so wet gloves on a metal surface then touching the face = a risk.

Is ski hire equipment still to be quarantined, if so then why?

Turns out that SARS-CoV-2 is actually a pretty fragile virus and fomite transmission (aka picking it up from a contaminated surface) is a very low risk.

[www.thelancet.com]

The TL;DR is that while PCR can detect virus sometimes after several days, what it is doing is detecting the RNA of the virus but the virus itself is "dead" (in as much as a virus can ever be dead or alive), and is incapable of actually causing an infection.

In layman's terms police do DNA tests to get identifications years down the line, but just because you can detect DNA/RNA does not mean that the organism it came from is still alive.

In essence the chances of getting it off a drag lift are remarkably low.

Finally I would note both UVA and UVB do cause DNA/RNA damage and will inactivate both bacteria and viruses. The reason for using UVC is that it does it much much faster. Remember we put on suncream to protect against UVA and UVB causing skin cancer via DNA damage. However I am not advocating trying to use UVA or UVB to sterilise things.

Hipennine

Date Posted: 09.56hrs on Fri 1 Jan 21
jabuzzard Wrote:

Turns out that SARS-CoV-2 is actually a pretty fragile virus and fomite transmission (aka picking it up from a contaminated surface) is a very low risk.

However, with the caveat that this Lancet aticle is dated beginning of September, before the "more infectious" variant now in circulation. I have yet to see any scientific analysis of why the new variant is so infectious - it could be because it is now more viable on surfaces.

growwild

Date Posted: 13.03hrs on Fri 1 Jan 21
In a lab setting it lasts and not so much in an infectious disease ward ?

I'd imagine the cleaning procedures in there are far more intensive than other wards and miles away fae a ski centres efforts. Till there's more conclusive evidence I'd say its still a risk unless pomas and any other touch points are included in the 'standard cleaning procedures" which according to that study will be to the same standards as an infectious disease ward ?

UVA and UVB is too slow in acting and will only slow down bacteria etc so is really no much use.. Can it be said the increase in skin cancer is related to the increase in sun cream use ?

This new infectious strain in my opinion relates to the slow uptake of the "vaccine". More research on cannabiniods and the covid is needed too, everyone here should take part.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 13.09hrs Fri 1 Jan 21 by growwild.

jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 11.36hrs on Sun 3 Jan 21
Hipennine Wrote:
However, with the caveat that this Lancet article is dated beginning of September, before the "more infectious" variant now in circulation. I have yet to see any scientific analysis of why the new variant is so infectious - it could be because it is now more viable on surfaces.

The following explanation is "simplified" for those without any biochemistry knowledge. As such it glosses over some of the finer detail and might be considered "incorrect" but it does the job for the explanation.

The changes in the "more infectious" variant that are believed to be significant are to the spike protein. These are highly unlikely to make the virus more resistance to degrading to an nonviable state. As such picking it up from a drag lift is still highly unlikely.

On the other hand the mutations are similar to what is seen on other virus spike proteins and are believed to make the protein more fat soluble. This is important because you cell membranes are basically films of fat molecules. If the spike proteins are more soluble in fat then it is easier for them to "merge" with your cell membrane and discharge the viral RNA into the cell.

If the chances of a SARS-CoV-2 virus being able to merge into the cell membrane go up then the chance of it infecting someone go up. Note this is where talk of viral load comes into play. An individual virus particle only has a fairly low chance of causing an infection. Consequently if you get a big dose by being in an enclosed indoor space with poor ventilation you are more likely to get infected. Similarly if you make the virus more infectious the viral load required on average to get an infection goes down. It's what physicists call "statistical mechanics". Further note much of the modelling of the virus spread is being done by physicists because they are really good at statistical mechanical modelling.

Consequently picking it up in a cable car or telecabine is much more likely now.

Final note as I understand it the changes in the spike protein are not at the sites where it is believed the antibodies bind. As such the vaccines are still likely to give good protection against an infection. However this is early days, the new variant has only been on the radar for active research for less than a month and the Christmas break will have impacted on that research.

Moray

Date Posted: 13.46hrs on Sun 3 Jan 21
Outdoors definitely safer than indoors but still a degree of risk especially where people are mixing. Was a bit disheartened to look at the webcam for one of the areas to see people appearing to not be distanced in the queues. This is in context of dramatic increase in case numbers past few days. I worry that if people visiting ski areas do not follow guidance then there may be more restrictions implemented. [www.gov.scot]

Tourer

Last Visited: 22:06
11th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 15.27hrs on Sun 3 Jan 21
This was not what I has hoping to see with so called restricted ticket sales....

Attachments: Screenshot_20210103-153415_Chrome_compress18.jpg (219kB)  
telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 15.51hrs on Sun 3 Jan 21
Aye - I spotted that too earlier on, mental
But I guesss supermarket queues the same (not been to one for over a year though - home delivery’s only)

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 15.53hrs Sun 3 Jan 21 by telemarker.

Moray

Date Posted: 18.31hrs on Sun 3 Jan 21
I did look at other areas and they did not seem to be suffering from the same distancing issues. Does make you wonder about the ticket number restrictions and if these need reviewing by the operators.

There is a nice wee video on main winterhighland page reminding people of what to do to stay safe. While it is correct to state face coverings should be worn if distance cannot be maintained it is more important that queues and capacity are managed in such a away that facilitates 2m distancing at all times. For all the various reasons described in this thread there should be virtually no parts of a ski area where 2m distance cannot be facilitated.

Agree with points about supermarket but have to say most I have been (and also keeping to minimum) have clearly marked 2m wait points as part of their queue management. This could be replicated on snow with dye or those "tufts" they use when slalom training

I expect that if this cannot be achieved then we will see more restrictive snowsport guidance.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 18.43hrs Sun 3 Jan 21 by Moray.

TroutWrestler

Last Visited: 18:01
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 22.42hrs on Sun 3 Jan 21
I fear that Monday's SG Cabinet Meeting and the subsequent Parlimentary Recall and statement may mean significant changes in what is permissible. Monday 4 Jan might be the last day on the hill for those that can.

RobC

Date Posted: 14.55hrs on Mon 4 Jan 21
TroutWrestler Wrote:
I fear that Monday's SG Cabinet Meeting and the subsequent Parlimentary Recall and statement may mean significant changes in what is permissible. Monday 4 Jan might be the last day on the hill for those that can.

This was confirmed by the First Minister today. Ski Centres specifically instructed to close in her speech.

Let's hope that restrictions can be relaxed before the end of the season.

JC

Last Visited: 12:22
27th Feb 2024
What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 15.01hrs on Mon 4 Jan 21
All ski centres to close under new lockdown rules.

TroutWrestler

Last Visited: 18:01
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 17.27hrs on Mon 4 Jan 21
This was probably inevitable as part of the wider measures being reintroduced, but the images on some of today's front pages were not good.

JC

Last Visited: 12:22
27th Feb 2024
What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 19.08hrs on Mon 4 Jan 21
Stay local, avoid contact with anyone/everyone you don't need to be with. It's the people that can afford to not stick to these rules that are the problem - they are the transmitters. This isn't going away any time soon. We'll be lucky if we get any spring season uplift at all.

ML

Last Visited: 15:59
21st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 20.55hrs on Mon 4 Jan 21
Do scottish resorts get any monetary support to survive two years of near full clossure?

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 21.08hrs on Mon 4 Jan 21
ML Wrote:
Do scottish resorts get any monetary support to survive two years of near full clossure?

Only if the company name contains the initials C L and M (and not necessarily in that order).

Goto Page:  Previous12345678Next
Current Page:4 of 8
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: