You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12345Next
Current Page:3 of 5
growwild

Re: Glenshee 2020/2021
Date Posted: 13.08hrs on Fri 1 Jan 21
A page here for history or have a museum of sorts at the busiest ski centre or both.
PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 17.25hrs on Sat 2 Jan 21
Butcharts Access opening on Sunday apparently!
01cookjk

Last Visited: 09:09
6th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.44hrs on Sat 2 Jan 21
PeterS Wrote:
oversteer Wrote:
remote_patrol Wrote:
01cookjk Wrote:
Is there more of where this phot came from?????

there is, but i'll need to check if it's ok to share. there's some on the timeline boards in the main base cafe (above the windows), and the p&j article recently if you caught that.

something might get done with all the old pics and cine stuff one day though, watch this space!

The main cafe timeline boards are wonderful. Brilliant, concise, informative

Yes someone needs to capture this important bit of Scottish history. Would be good to use the media and put together a YouTube presentation with link from the Glenshee website. Important to understand where the areas s snow sports heritage has come from and to remember some of the key players and beneficiaries.

I have put together a powerpoint with photos documenting the development of Glencoe, Nevis Range and Cairngorm, but finding info on the Lecht and Glenshee is a little more tricky. I was quite shocked actually to discover that the Sunnyside Chair has been around for as long as it has.
PeterS

13th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 19.36hrs on Sat 16 Jan 21
What a shame. Looks like all runs are complete at Glenshee sad smiley
Phil56

Last Visited: 10:15
11th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 13.06hrs on Fri 22 Jan 21
Heartbroken having checked out the web cam - plenty of snow, plenty of sun for the weekend, minimal wind, high pressure...
richards521

Last Visited: 21:32
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 16.28hrs on Fri 22 Jan 21
Just spoke to my son in Vancouver they have been in a strict lockdown since December, however all ski resorts in BC are open, subject to social distancing and restricted day numbers, he is getting the most out of his season ticket every week. Truly Heart breaking for Scottish Skiers/boarders, what is wrong with this country and its political leaders, Norway,Sweden,Finland,America,Canada and Austria are currently all open for locals with measures in place.
PeterS

13th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 19.31hrs on Fri 22 Jan 21
Must be annoying that Golf courses can remain open ?
richards521

Last Visited: 21:32
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 20.57hrs on Fri 22 Jan 21
I stay next to a golf course and most of my neighbours who are elderly golf, and I think they should, social distancing easy,fresh air and fitness...excellent however all these benefits also apply to snow sports, this is political decision to ban our sport and not a health decision, and with the right interventions in terms of social distancing and restricted numbers I cannot understand snowsports being banned...I genuinely wonder if any of the Scottish Advisors or senior cabinet members have every been on skis or a board and truly under stand the issue.
alan

Last Visited: 22:28
10th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 22.02hrs on Fri 22 Jan 21
richards521 Wrote:
or senior cabinet members have every been on skis

They have!

There’s two issues here, one directly related to Covid is that car sharing to ski areas has been flagged up in contact tracing. Perhaps as or more importantly, golf spoke with one voice - the R&A’s guidelines for golf clubs was equally relevant and largely crossed over for the ski areas too. We started this season on a clear understanding that uplift would be permitted up to and including level 4 lockdown.

All open days at Glenshee, Glencoe and The Lecht have been under level 4 restrictions. Had Scottish skiing spoke with one voice the areas would probably have remained open beyond level 4. However, unfortunately CML chair ASSA (the Association of Scottish Ski Areas) and CairnGorm did not open when they could have opened much more of the mountain, never had more than their temporary beginner area at the Daylodge open and closed at the first excuse!

HIE and CMLs decision to close and shut the ski road from Christmas Eve meant no coherent voice was coming from Scottish Skiing, HIE to then portray it as CML being socially responsible and protecting their community and staff was a reprehensible and cynical ploy to up the pressure to close all the snowsports areas.

I’ve heard from more than one source that there was lobbying to this effect going on!!

I’m left to surmise that Scottish Snowsports areas are shut, not because the outside operations can’t be managed in a covid secure way, but because it suits the narrow interests of an unaccountable quango hiding behind a cloak of impenetrable sophistry.
jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 11.47hrs on Sat 23 Jan 21
alan Wrote:
I’m left to surmise that Scottish Snowsports areas are shut, not because the outside operations can’t be managed in a covid secure way, but because it suits the narrow interests of an unaccountable quango hiding behind a cloak of impenetrable sophistry.

A more like scenario is that golfing is much more local than skiing. From where I sit I can walk in a few minutes to a golf course. There are several more in a five mile radius. If I where to hop back to where I grew up in Northumberland again I could walk to a golf course and there are several within a five mile radius. I would note that golfing is banned in England though.

Contrast that with skiing where the vast majority of people are going to have to leave their local authority area to go skiing. That's a high hurdle to allow it in the first place.

Then we do have to look at the mindless covidiocy of the Lecht. They clearly demonstrated that not only did they not manage their operations in a covid secure way (no limiting of numbers, not checking people where from permitted areas, no queue management) they showed no remorse for their failures (mindless rubbish about skis stopping you getting close). As such their combination of covidiocy and total lack of remorse sealed the deal and spoiled it for everyone else. You can be in no doubt it was the actions of the Lecht that cause Sturgeon to specifically mention skiing.

Remember there where no pictures of Glencoe or Glenshee in the news, it was all the Lecht and that is where any anger at them being closed should be directed.

sspeirs

Last Visited: 09:59
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 22.15hrs on Sun 24 Jan 21
Agree with what both Alan and JABuzzard say overall however I can see that the car share travel is a very real risk and I also wonder if there is a vocal minority in the highland communities who - understandably - don't want the virus imported.

Since I've not much else to do at weekends these days, at this time of year in particular. The discussion above got me wondering what it would take to to get the ski centres and other outdoor activities re-opened, including to people from across Scotland (and further afield when numbers drop and stablise sufficiently). After all, the risk of covid transmission in "naturally distanced" outdoor activities is very low, or even negligible as some would argue (good thread here [ [twitter.com] ], that Davy Gunn of CrankItUpGear circulated on Twitter) This may also allow hillwalking, mountaineering, mountain biking, kayaking and more to open up also. Unlikely I know but we can but dream. For example ...

(1) Maybe Cairngorm and Nevis should just stay shut. These are the ski areas near the bigger centres of population, so there is more risk snowsports visitors would stop off there. Glencoe, Glenshee and the Lecht are completely remote to lower risk. Numbers of course would need to be constrained (as was happening at G/C and G/S)

(2) Make car sharing illegal except in exceptional circumstances (e.g. taking an elderly relative to a medical appointment). And allow police to carry out checks at ski center car park entrances.

(3) Make it illegal to go indoors to shops or cafes in areas you don't live near. Indoors is where the covid risk is. Local cafes could still make some ££ to passing traffic by serving in a contactless manner to cars outside (as the Real Food Cafe in Tyndrum as an example has successfully been doing all summer).

(4) One strike and you are out. Snow patrollers can order people off the mountain if they are not social distancing in queues. It would be in the interests of other skiers/boarders to support this to avoid the ski centres being closed down

(5) and of course ticketless operation, limited numbers, no indoor catering so door service only... as Glencoe and Glenshee were doing.

(6) Toilets would be a risk - but assuming they had good ventilation or window open, that would reduce the risk.

(7) Of course the snow patrol, mountain rescue etc should have the final say on this.

Of course this would be a hard sell. And the current hospital overload would need to subside first. However could the above conditions make re-opening more feasible?

Finally Snowsports are hardly "essential" ... although if you ask me staying "essential" seems these days to be judged more important than staying safe (which of course is arguably more important - witness the rants on BBC ScotlandNews today about the 2 climbers who had to be rescued - OK they broke the rules for sure, but they hardly constituted a covid risk being outdoors when it was more than likely blowing a hoolie)

Maybe worth a discussion - perhaps I should have started a new thread now that I re-read my rant :-)
remote_patrol

Last Visited: 22:53
20th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 00.06hrs on Mon 25 Jan 21
sspeirs Wrote:

(1) Maybe Cairngorm and Nevis should just stay shut. These are the ski areas near the bigger centres of population, so there is more risk snowsports visitors would stop off there. Glencoe, Glenshee and the Lecht are completely remote to lower risk. Numbers of course would need to be constrained (as was happening at G/C and G/S)

Bit of foggy geography there i think, Glenshee is an hour from Dundee, Perth and Aberdeen, also IIRC closest ski centre to Edinburgh (~2-2.5hrs?). Glencoe closes to Glasgow I think, Lecht closest to Aberdeen.

Sure someone may correct me, but i think Nevis and Cairngorm are actually the MOST remote in terms of "catchment area", with Glenshee probably largest?

Don't disagree with the general points you make though. Glenshee Ski Patrol were enforcing masks/distancing as best they could when they were open, and occasionally checking IDs if suspicious (as weirdly "league of gentlemen"-like as that was! local ski area for local people.... smiling smiley )

I think Police checks have to come into it as what realistically can ski centre staff do with no legal authority. They shouldn't be put in that position, either they can open and do their jobs or not, additional enforcement (beyond geofenced booking) should be a legal/police matter if its required.

The main thing IMO is ensuring that ski centres survive, whether that's by "safe" controlled reopening or by free government cash i don't really care. Being a local though i can always go hike if i want so YMMV.

(before anyone gets the "covidiot" stick out if i do i'll be going alone, no gnar, avoid others etc.)

The public money Cairngorm hoover up could keep the shee, the coe and probably the lecht as well ticking over through a few pandemics easily, and IMO right now that should be exactly what happens.

sorry about the ranty-ness, haven't left the house for a couple of weeks (in spite of a bluebird weekend)
youngfox

Last Visited: 18:45
3rd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 09.39hrs on Mon 25 Jan 21
I will make a comment on this as Steven mentioned my twitter feed from crankitupgear my business down in Glencoe village. I was born and brought up here and back in March as now, the community which has an elderly population feels vulnerable. However, we have it easy being rural and plenty hills and walks and access to the mountains which others are not so fortunate to have. Last March I was fairly vociferous about closures and protecting our community based on what we saw coming and our preparation for it. Things have changed and its generally recognised that the outdoors is a safer environment regarding transmission and has huge mental health benefits. The transport getting there is another matter. I agree in full with many of the comments regarding the Lecht and CML. As a local West Coast skier I would say when open over New Year it felt safe and well organised with a lot of public goodwill and self regulation to keep it that way as folk felt it was a privilege. Very frustrating for those not able to come I appreciate, but at least being open it left the door open for when restrictions dropped a level or two, money in the tills and at least some smiles on faces. For a lot of families the sledging park was an absolute godsend. I personally felt it a kick in the teeth that the Coe and Shee had to shut when showing a high degree of compliance and with very good systems in place. While March 2020 was a bit shock and awe, things are much better organised and safer now for skiing and one way or another vaccine or not we have to live with this virus forever as its not going away. I have hinted how vulnerable rural communities feel, but ski areas are miles away from them. The main issue with skiing will be transport to and from the venue. That's no different to walkers and climbers who least have the MCofS/BMC and NGB's speaking with one voice for them and coming up with solutions and good working practice for the problems needing surmounted. This was taken on by the draft Covid report they submitted to government last year which served as a good blueprint for skiing as well. This is obviously working quietly and unobtrusively as some professionals are working on a 1:1 basis and at the weekend many of the main climbing lay byes up through Glencoe had many cars in them with folk enjoying the epic conditions. Also many ski tourers out and about.

Lift served Skiing if it is to have anything left of this season, needs to come together and make a representation with solutions to government maybe regarding the critical issue which is not participation or the mountain but getting to and from it from population areas safely and within guidance such as family bubbles and solo driving. We are lucky to be relatively Covid free here. So jumping from Level 2 to enhanced level 4 has been a big shock as nothing has changed since the Autumn. While unaware of any Covid deaths I am aware that there have been approximately 15 suicides within what was the local and regional area open for folks to ski here at New Year. I am not endorsing breaking of the rules or pushing them, but increasingly feel that we will look back at all this and think a lot was wrong with policy. 2 climbers a mile over the boundary from Oban get a fine after asking for help from an MRT who have no problem responding when asked, and meanwhile there are a dozen cars out for a day trip feeding carrots to deer at Kingshouse. The outdoor public are responsible and not a problem but sadly the general public see no separation between being responsible and a "Covidiot" (a term I hate). Some of the opinions on forums show just how polarised all this is. These suicides and the mental health issues, that bothers me greatly. Its not my place to judge folk who do not live here feeling they need to escape to a hill as if Lockdown is hard living here its got to be so hard in the city. Apologies if this is a bit of a rant.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 09.42hrs Mon 25 Jan 21 by youngfox.
igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 10.17hrs on Mon 25 Jan 21
Stephen, we are pretty confident with the recent investment in online ticketing and ski hire that we can safely operate at Glencoe. Our new ticketing system allows us to limit customer numbers and also if we need to allows us to control where people come from. Customer passes are picked up by scanning your phone through a perspex screen and tickets are spat out through a credit card size slot in the window. With absolutely no human contact. Ski hire is set up to be a click and collect service so again very little human interaction. If need be ski hire could remain closed until later in the season. With the limited skier numbers good toilet capacity is available.
Davy, picking up on your point about the industry needing to speak with one voice, Snowsports Scotland have done a great job in representing the industry so far but unfortunately not all ski areas are on the same page. With some areas desperate to re-open and others not. I fear that without a consensus it's going to be a season for ski tourers and split boarders.
chrisski

Date Posted: 16.26hrs on Mon 25 Jan 21
sspeirs Wrote:
Agree with what both Alan and JABuzzard say overall however I can see that the car share travel is a very real risk and I also wonder if there is a vocal minority in the highland communities who - understandably - don't want the virus imported.

Since I've not much else to do at weekends these days, at this time of year in particular. The discussion above got me wondering what it would take to to get the ski centres and other outdoor activities re-opened, including to people from across Scotland (and further afield when numbers drop and stablise sufficiently). After all, the risk of covid transmission in "naturally distanced" outdoor activities is very low, or even negligible as some would argue (good thread here [ ], that Davy Gunn of CrankItUpGear circulated on Twitter) This may also allow hillwalking, mountaineering, mountain biking, kayaking and more to open up also. Unlikely I know but we can but dream. For example ...

(2) Make car sharing illegal except in exceptional circumstances (e.g. taking an elderly relative to a medical appointment). And allow police to carry out checks at ski center car park entrances.

(3) Make it illegal to go indoors to shops or cafes in areas you don't live near. Indoors is where the covid risk is. Local cafes could still make some ££ to passing traffic by serving in a contactless manner to cars outside (as the Real Food Cafe in Tyndrum as an example has successfully been doing all summer).

(4) One strike and you are out. Snow patrollers can order people off the mountain if they are not social distancing in queues. It would be in the interests of other skiers/boarders to support this to avoid the ski centres being closed down

(5) and of course ticketless operation, limited numbers, no indoor catering so door service only... as Glencoe and Glenshee were doing.

(6) Toilets would be a risk - but assuming they had good ventilation or window open, that would reduce the risk.

(7) Of course the snow patrol, mountain rescue etc should have the final say on this.

Of course this would be a hard sell. And the current hospital overload would need to subside first. However could the above conditions make re-opening more feasible?

Finally Snowsports are hardly "essential" ... although if you ask me staying "essential" seems these days to be judged more important than staying safe (which of course is arguably more important - witness the rants on BBC ScotlandNews today about the 2 climbers who had to be rescued - OK they broke the rules for sure, but they hardly constituted a covid risk being outdoors when it was more than likely blowing a hoolie)

Maybe worth a discussion - perhaps I should have started a new thread now that I re-read my rant :-)

some valid points but the lockdown along with the obvious of not spreading it is about keeping the number or hospital admissions down whilst this pandemic is raging. how do you know those two climbers didnt have covid? they could have been carrying it. they also presented a danger to themselves and other who may have fallen and needed hospital treatment.

Goto Page:  Previous12345Next
Current Page:3 of 5
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: