You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12345Next
Current Page:4 of 5
Issac hunt

Re: Glenshee 2020/2021
Date Posted: 00.57hrs on Tue 26 Jan 21
Whatever.. BLAH BLAH BLAH. if I said what was on my mind Dongle Man would moderate it away anyhoo. GET a GRIP, STAY in whatever shithole you've chosen and leave us alone up here, Now that greedy self important knobheads have ruined it for local people as well, By the way the snow is awesome , best season I've had in years with out all the touroid scum fae doon sooth

youngfox

Last Visited: 18:45
3rd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 14.05hrs on Tue 26 Jan 21
A fair enough point although i know MR don't have a problem attending as I meet many of them also out enjoying climbing and walking within the local area and was one of them for 37 years. I think folk need some light at the end of the tunnel to give some hope, and based on the low prevalence in the area (in fact 0) i hope at some point very soon things will go back to L2 and that our friends who are not so lucky to live in the highland region will also get some ski fun as levels reduce wherever they live. They, by and large, are responsible in a way I don't see day to day by others in vans, shops and the many day trippers still coming here. Right now someone can drive from Oban to climb at Bridge of Orchy, or Stirling to climb Ben Lui but will get a fine if they travel the extra empty 3 miles to Kingshouse and climb the Buachaille and risk being vilified by the press and armchair pundits if hurt. Seems daft and unfair especially as A/E isn't stacked out with climbers but broken wrists, hips and falls on ice from folk out getting exercise on the flat. A bit of balance and common sense needed IMHO and solutions to getting back to a safer covid reduced life at some point. I think a great deal of angst could be reduced with a road map and criteria for when that might be from govt instead of never ending lockdown extensions and public frustration. That we should be keeping with the rules I fully agree, but believe folk need some hope. As mentioned the report emphasized the low risk of outdoor transmission and benefits of the outdoors including skiing after what was a stricter Lockdown than this one, so it seems inconsistent that travel for skiing and climbing couldn't be allowed very soon after restrictions begin to lift. When that may be of course is the big ?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 14.06hrs Tue 26 Jan 21 by youngfox.

Fae Doon Sooth

Date Posted: 08.37hrs on Wed 27 Jan 21
Issac hunt Wrote:
Whatever.. BLAH BLAH BLAH. if I said what was on my mind Dongle Man would moderate it away anyhoo. GET a GRIP, STAY in whatever shithole you've chosen and leave us alone up here, Now that greedy self important knobheads have ruined it for local people as well, By the way the snow is awesome , best season I've had in years with out all the touroid scum fae doon sooth

Who the feck do you think you are? Scum fae doon Sooth

Always thought the chookters were idiots

ropetow

Last Visited: 09:08
13th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 15.34hrs on Wed 27 Jan 21
Unfortunately its local skiing for local people at the moment - but obviously that doesn't work commercially for ski centres longer term - so enjoy it whilst you can if its piste skiing that you are looking for.

If folks are local and want to go climbing etc - then so long as they are obeying the law then there is no problem with that either. They are just lucky to live in the same local authority as the climbing area - but they also have to put up with the downsides of being in or near a rural location.

The argument about possibly having covid and putting people at risk doesn't hold water. I could fall off my bike up the town or fall over a log going for a run in the woods and require recovery and medical assistance.

Re the law itself - yes it is very high level and that leads to incongruities and inconsistencies. Its not possible to draft legislation like this at short notice to cater for every specific situation - especially when folks are just looking at ways to get round the legislation to do what they want.

Its designed to try and reduce covid transmission across the country and ultimately save lives. Sometime you just have to put up with things for the greater good.

alan

Last Visited: 22:28
10th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 17.29hrs on Wed 27 Jan 21
Fae Doon Sooth Wrote:

Well the vaguely publishable bite... a few posts are not getting approved and a couple have been deleted. What happened to the be kind thing last spring,,,

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 17.31hrs Wed 27 Jan 21 by alan.

Attachments: tuna.png (17kB)  
sspeirs

Last Visited: 09:59
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 23.27hrs on Wed 27 Jan 21
OK .. .ignoring the less than constructive posts, not appropriate here.

Good insights above from @igloo4you, @youngfox and others. Agree with @youngfox on needing a path out of where we are: cooped up in wall to wall web work meetings, 7 days holidays to use before end of March with nothing to do on them :-(

I'm not trying to break the rules, rather just thinking about a way out of this as the case numbers go down. Clearly with cases the way they are, there will be no release of lockdown soon. But say mid/end Feb, if cases drop, is there not a case for loosening up the constraints on *outdoor* activities - based upon the evidence that Covid thrives on indoor transmission, with the risks outside very low, esp if there is a breeze. Of course if a new virus strain develops that transmits efficiently outdoors, this is a mute argument.

Andy, give the apparent disagreements would a phased return proposal have legs? @remote_patrol - I still think Nevis and Cairngorm are concerned due to their proximity to towns (10-20 mins whereas an hour is a different ball park). So why not recognise this and focus a phased return initially on the more isolated ski centres - and present this as a positive in your proposal, hopefully backed by Snowsport Scotland?

Clearly allowing locals in low virus areas back makes sense as a first step. But what could be the next step? The government is almost certainly not going to open the floodgates and have thousands travelling to the ski centres. however would they be more supportive of a phased approach, step by step increasing the numbers, to give us a chance to prove it could work safely? So maybe the next step could be to open up to clubs, esp the kids training programs, SSS members, perhaps even season pass holders? (OK personal bias here :-) - and build up the numbers to something safe yet more economical for the ski centres. We'd need to ensure that we avoid car share situations somehow, so "one strike and your out" for clubs and season pass holders for example and they would have an "incentive" to avoid car sharing.

Just a few thoughts. And for when we start to open up a bit. IMHO it would be a bit daft if we start to open up indoor environments like cafes, restaurants etc while still having restrictions around (arguably safer) outdoor activities.

Issac hunt

Date Posted: 01.25hrs on Thu 28 Jan 21
No apologies for my less than constructive post Alan .

Although it is certainly in the wrong thread.

I guess I must be an idiot choochter, to have collected more than a few pick up loads of tourist litter / abandoned tents /sleeping bags and other assorted camping gear, from local laybys- beauty spots between lockdowns.
( I know some others on here have done the same).
Buried countless human turds, including the contents of 3 chemical toilets and needed to wash/disinfect my dog at least half a dozen times to rid him of human excrement.
I guess not everyone up here is that tourist friendly.
I will try to stick on topic in future..

Fae Doon Sooth

Date Posted: 09.17hrs on Thu 28 Jan 21
alan Wrote:
Fae Doon Sooth Wrote:

Well the vaguely publishable bite... a few posts are not getting approved and a couple have been deleted. What happened to the be kind thing last spring,,,

If the be kind thing is in place why did the wallys post get approved?

Fae Doon Sooth

Date Posted: 14.02hrs on Thu 28 Jan 21
Issac hunt Wrote:
No apologies for my less than constructive post Alan .

Although it is certainly in the wrong thread.

I guess I must be an idiot choochter, to have collected more than a few pick up loads of tourist litter / abandoned tents /sleeping bags and other assorted camping gear, from local laybys- beauty spots between lockdowns.
( I know some others on here have done the same).
Buried countless human turds, including the contents of 3 chemical toilets and needed to wash/disinfect my dog at least half a dozen times to rid him of human excrement.
I guess not everyone up here is that tourist friendly.
I will try to stick on topic in future..

There is idiots everywhere lad doesn't mean everyone is tarred with the same brush and called scum smiling smiley

I might have got a bit carried away but its still a shocking statement to make!

Not apologising is a bit small time tbh as its a sweeping statement to be making.......

JC

Last Visited: 12:22
27th Feb 2024
What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 22.27hrs on Fri 29 Jan 21
Fae Doon Sooth Wrote:
alan Wrote:
Fae Doon Sooth Wrote:

If the be kind thing is in place why did the wallys post get approved?

Honestly. FFS. One of the reasons I regularly check in to the WH Snow Conditions forum (aye, even this year) is because there's excellent, informative content from folk that have been lucky and brave enough to actually get out and share their experience. This stuff above is just risible nonsense. It's 'Teuchters' by the way, as well you should know. If you don't have anything to say about snow conditions at Glenshee or anything related, please just beat it. (NB doesn't apply to Growwild, he has a lifetime pass).

PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 08.55hrs on Sat 30 Jan 21
[www.ski-glenshee.co.uk]

This hurts sad smiley

growwild

Date Posted: 12.26hrs on Sat 30 Jan 21
Fck all tae dae with me in here, starting shit in another thread wont bring dreams to the selfish...

sspeirs

Last Visited: 09:59
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 12.38hrs on Sat 30 Jan 21
PeterS Wrote:

This hurts

It does look amazing .... and such good, calm weather. Last year most weekends were winded off and look what happens this year - typical :-(

snowchaser

Last Visited: 07:58
13th Sep 2023
Date Posted: 15.57hrs on Thu 4 Feb 21
sspeirs Wrote:
PeterS Wrote:

This hurts

It does look amazing .... and such good, calm weather. Last year most weekends were winded off and look what happens this year - typical :-(

Aye, Mother Nature eh! That burd has a real dark sense of humour.
Wait until you see what she has in store for us next season,either we'll be back
to nae snow... or there will be tons of the stuff, but a couple of new variants
will have turned up, and the panic merchants will shut everything doon again.
I hope i'm wrong, but i get the feeling this pandemic is going to impact on a 3rd snowy season.

JC

Last Visited: 12:22
27th Feb 2024
What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 19.05hrs on Mon 8 Feb 21
Intruiging stuff off the webcam at the top of the Sunnyside chair today. Ski Patrol homing in on what appears to be a released ski and possibly a pole on a snow drift. 10 mins later after some 'activity' over the fence, we have a skier and boarder added to the scene.

Attachments: SSC1.jpg (338kB)   SSC2.jpg (326kB)  
Goto Page:  Previous12345Next
Current Page:4 of 5
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: