You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
sspeirs

Last Visited: 09:59
22nd Apr 2021
Glencoe - New Base Station's Plans Lodged
Date Posted: 18.51hrs on Mon 22 Feb 21

Just spotted this article from November ... [www.pressandjournal.co.uk] .....
.. and guessing that the current season won't at all have helped meet the hoped-for timescales.

The new building looks great I think!
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: Glencoe - New Base Station's Plans Lodged
Date Posted: 23.59hrs on Mon 22 Feb 21
The Cafe has received planning permission subject to a final agreement on the colour combination to be used.
WeeSam

Last Visited: 00:53
5th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 19.49hrs on Wed 24 Feb 21
jesus h

how long does it take to agree and approve a colour? 2 seconds?

"red!"
"no"
"grey"
"okay"
jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 11.47hrs on Fri 26 Feb 21
WeeSam Wrote:
jesus h

how long does it take to agree and approve a colour? 2 seconds?

"red!"
"no"
"grey"
"okay"

There are architects involved. They are presumably pushing for some stupid in your face colour because they are "architects". Don't get me started, first to the wall when my revolution comes smiling smiley
growwild

Date Posted: 21.28hrs on Tue 2 Mar 21
Was it planners or architects who wanted the wee cabins at Glencoe looking onto a shity noisy car park ?

Place could be a decent wee resort with real planning

remote_patrol

Last Visited: 22:53
20th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 10.02hrs on Thu 4 Mar 21
@planning_shit on twitter is worth a look/follow if you want to see some truly WTF planning applications and decisions. Both side of this debate have unlimited capacity to get this spectacularly wrong.

Personally i think the Glencoe proposal is bit meh, but i appreciate the cost/functionality aspects leading to a safe and simple choice. Fingers crossed they get a solid tailwind through the rest of the process, about time they caught a well deserved break!

growwild

Date Posted: 23.12hrs on Thu 4 Mar 21
Gotta start somewhere and cattle sheds are fairly cheap..

All that land round the base station doing sweet fa should be developed, more so to the east... Deffo earners to be made this summer if every fcker is staying on this island and allowed oot. Serviced bell tents could probably bring in some coin and use that as proof of concept tae get funding to move up..

Being so close to the central belts cash Glencoe is probably the best out all the centres to become an actual resort. Would like to see it sorted but it needs a lot sorted.

The car park needs increased and moved back from the base station a good bit, dunno if the new chair could ask for a cafe at the top of the access though the plateau cafe deffo needs to get moved and tarted up and something decent built up where it was. Plateau needs the heavy machinery in for winter sports and bikes to keep more coin coming in for longer.. What the area needs most is fcking trees, fae the a82 up as far as they'll grow!
PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 20.26hrs on Fri 5 Mar 21
[block quote]alan Wrote:
The Cafe has received planning permission subject to a final agreement on the colour combination to be used.

[wam.highland.gov.uk]

They have moved fast to get the application sorted. I really like their proposal.

The galleried cafe should work well with the central stove, the ground floor bar and the spectacular view of the buachaille. I count 110 seats which is perhaps twice the capacity of the old cafe? Spread over two floors it should still feel sociable on the quieter days.

I like the way they have incorporated practical features into the design such as the outward opening doors, the lobbies to prevent draughts and the big sun terrace. It should be a great year round facility.

I’m Not sure from the plans whether the ‘reception’ will sell lift tickets or is that going to continue at the top of the car park?

With the plateau cafe if the main issue is shortage of indoor seating then a stop gap measure might be to get a bus up there (!). The piste basher shed should be big enough to garage it and it could be brought out as and when needed at the weekends. It could be used for up to 28 days a year, without needing planning permission as long as it is not used for food sales. Just a thought !

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 15.40hrs Sat 6 Mar 21 by PeterS.
WeeSam

Last Visited: 00:53
5th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.05hrs on Sat 6 Mar 21
Revolving doors mitigate draughts and are the best option of heating efficiency. That's why they were invented.

Save a lot of space too, with no need for lobbies to act as the air lock.

Of course, you would still need fixed hinge double doors as a fire escape but these would remain out of use day to day.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 17.08hrs Sat 6 Mar 21 by WeeSam.
PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 17.21hrs on Sat 6 Mar 21
Yes and far better than electric doors which never work properly in our climate and are usually poor fitting.

Outward opening doors are a good compromise because they fail closed as long as they have a door return device, and they can also seat against the threshold as well as the door frame. Presumably that’s why they are used in the artic and in alpine countries where you don’t want to lose your warm air. They do however need to be protected by a porch or by an overhanging eave.
geoffers

Last Visited: 05:58
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 06.42hrs on Mon 8 Mar 21
Going off topic...With the danger of appearing pedantic :-) interesting fact: the "mitigation of draughts" that revolving doors were invented for, was to prevent the"chimney effect" in sky scrapers

"Revolving doors were designed to relieve stack effect pressure in buildings. High-rise buildings experience immense pressure caused by air rushing through the building, referred to as 'Stack Effect' pressure."

Cheers, Geoff

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 06.46hrs Mon 8 Mar 21 by geoffers.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: