You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
ML

Glenshee 2022
Date Posted: 18.03hrs on Thu 9 Dec 21
It's official, Glenshee kicks off the new season! Friday Dink Dink, Sunnyside and the rope tow open!
tim1mw

Re: Glenshee 2022
Date Posted: 20.15hrs on Thu 16 Dec 21
The website is currently saying:

'We will be closed for skiing/boarding from Mon 13th to Fri 17th then open everyday from Mon 20th Dec 2021, with man made snow on the beginners runs (more if we have enough snowfall)'

Which leaves 18/19th in limbo, I pre-booked a lift ticket for the 18th when the weather was looking more promising, I've asked for a clarification, but my messages haven't been answered yet. Still planning to come up and do some winter walking instead since the weather looks good but it would be nice to know if it's worth turning up on the 18th for a short slide.
Alan Melville

Date Posted: 15.12hrs on Mon 17 Jan 22
Any chance of us getting a ski season?
It will soon be Feb and not a sign so far !
Alan Melville

Date Posted: 14.14hrs on Mon 24 Jan 22
Went to the indoor ski slop on Sunday.
Quite busy but had a great couple of hours..
Kammy

Date Posted: 16.45hrs on Wed 26 Jan 22
Latest 10 day trend from Met office suggesting westerly winds returning in February, thus average temps or above, hopefully there will be something for Ski resorts to get back on track.
Alan Melville

Date Posted: 11.15hrs on Sat 5 Feb 22
Just a shame the ground is so warm.
The first mild spell to come along and its back to square one!
Alan Melville

Date Posted: 12.09hrs on Sun 13 Feb 22
Autumn seems to run from October to March these days..
Alan Melville

Date Posted: 10.01hrs on Sat 26 Feb 22
Glenshee on its knees?
Yesterday showed how impossible it is to run a ski resort in a changing climate.
Few lifts open due to lack of staff, which is totally understandable when you have no snow you don't need stuff!
The problems arise when the unpredictability of the changing climate suddenly delivers snow at the end of the season.
Queuing for carpark 1hr 45min.
Queuing for tickets 1hr 20min.
Queuing for lifts upto 45min.
Glenshee didn't get going yesterday until 1pm, some customers didn't get tickets until 2.30.
They were also charged £32 for a lack of tows running due to a total lack of staff.
I think the writing is on the wall for Glenshee and perhaps possibly one or two other resorts..
Dunc

Date Posted: 10.14hrs on Mon 28 Feb 22
I heard Friday was a disaster, and many things came together to create that disaster.
Conversely Sunday (yesterday) was fantastic. All but one lift running on Cairnwell side, and a few tows running on the east side of the road. We skied from 8.30 in the morning to 5.15pm. Great day and minimal queueing.
Please don't judge Glenshee by that one day.
Duncan
Karen Webber

Date Posted: 12.03hrs on Mon 28 Feb 22
Well I had an excellent day yesterday. Report below since there does not appear to be another mech to post these ATM.

Warm temps Sat evening and a freeze early doors meant that the snow set up rock hard. Traffic followed by sunshine fixed this with time, but as the wind rose in late play, it blew that snow away on certain aspects. Lovely sunshine all day, V cold on the Cairnwell chair in the wind when the sun dipped!

Most of the action was on the West side of the road, with incomplete runs and up-tracks east beyond Tom Dearg (see pix). The Tiger was baring it's teeth early on, but mellowed as day progresses. Race track and slalom giving good skiing, but big queues.

After doing the rink on Sunnyside, I spent most of the day lapping the Tiger/Cairnwell which had no more than a 2 min wait all day. Come 3pm, it all  quietened down, and the short walk from the top of Butcharts to the Cairn Aosda piste was well worth it, and I lapped this combo many times before end of play.

Good day out and after 2 years, I finally have my ski legs back!

Pix here: [photos.app.goo.gl]

(Alan, feel free to turn this into a report)

Karen

Alan Melville

Date Posted: 15.53hrs on Mon 14 Mar 22
I run a skischool for many years at Glenshee so not making a judgement on one day believe me.
I got out at the right time it would appear! The seasons were getting shorter and shorter and instructor were not willing to commit to a ski season in Scotland.
The management who took over when Glenshee went under the first time were stuck in the 1980s with a lack of vision and inexperienced in customer care.
Perhaps a reduction in uplift might help and a change in management structure?
Charlie Leppard

Date Posted: 16.39hrs on Fri 18 Mar 22
A reduction in uplift will minimise the queues? Please explain.
Alan Melville

Date Posted: 16.42hrs on Tue 22 Mar 22
Not enough snow.
Not enough lift staff.
Not enough instructors.
Limit ticket sale's and run a lower capacity...
I await your response with baited breath.
winterhighland

Last Visited: 18:04
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 22.26hrs on Wed 23 Mar 22
Alan Melville Wrote:
Not enough snow.
Not enough lift staff.
Not enough instructors.
Limit ticket sale's and run a lower capacity...
I await your response with baited breath.

Arguably the case is not for less uplift or less extent of the ski area, but in some parts of the area for different uplift. t

The reliance on both low level surface lifts and surface lifts on opposing aspects (which can have widely differing snow cover season to season) to access the further out and more snow sure terrain has always been an issue at Glenshee since uplift reached into Coire Fionn.

The replacement of the Cairnwell T-bar with a quad chair got shelved, while such a lift would provide access for snow plough turners to the long Bunny Run, in the grander scheme of things there is a good argument for having a fundamental rethink of the middle valley as a higher priority.

Dunc

Date Posted: 10.25hrs on Thu 24 Mar 22
I didn't know the Cairmwell T-bar replacement (with chair) project was shelved. Didn't Glenshee buy the chairlift? I saw some what looked like pylons in the upper carpark the other day (although no sign of the chairs, which I think I saw in the past).
Thanks
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: