You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2

Is Nevis Range trying to Wreck their own skiing business?
Date Posted: 18.29hrs on Tue 26 Apr 22
I used to really enjoy skiing at Nevis Range. Great facilities and what I would say is the best lift served terrain in Scotland.

I rarely go there now, for various reasons.
In recent years, Braveheart rarely operated. Sometimes just on the last couple of weekends of the season. Warren's and Braveheart aren't even on the piste map any more.
The back corries are awesome, yet for many years they have prety much been ignored by nevis (turn them into 'itineries' and ignore them).
Grooming on the hill is usually minimum effort - alpha, one of 2 cat widths on the quad - job done.
They sold their hydro scheme to buy a snowmaker (like a snowfactory), and I don't know if they ever use it.

Rumour has it that they used the quad chair as little as possible this season as it will soon require a major service.

The thing I really don't get is that Nevis employ (or, at least, they used to) a marketing manager. They are relentless on Facebook with photos of cakes and kids riding bikes - skiing... crap.
No updates in the afternoon for the following day. In fact in their website, they seem to actively delete snow reports at the end of the day and say the next update will be in the morning. 9am is way too late for an update if you have to drive 2hrs to get there.
If I am trying decide where to ski the following day, it is prety handy to be able to see what the report from that day was, including what lifts were open. Yet, Nevis appear to delete it.

Perhaps Nevis should ask themselves why Glencoe is so popular. Glencoe are very good at snow reports/conditions updates- why would anyone drive past Glencoe to arrive at Nevis, when there is usually no information about likely conditions, or what lifts they might try to open?

I know it is tough to run a ski centre in Scotland, however Nevis appear to be taking a leaf out of Cairngorm's book rather than Glencoe's... Even if they can't afford to run/maintain all the lifts, it doesn't cost anything to tell your potential customers what the conditions are likely to be for the following day, rather than deleting the information.

Let's hope they can make more effort in 2022-23..

Oversteer

Re: Is Nevis Range trying to Wreck their own skiing business?
Date Posted: 12.36hrs on Mon 17 Oct 22
Astounding stuff from them on Instagram. They've now been advised (cos how would they know) that Warrens may need to be replaced so it won't open this season, whilst Braveheart won't run in 22/23 either.

The place has an appalling record in terms of lift reliability and to now pretend/admit they don't know the condition of their own infrastructure is just astonishing. More so given some of the behaviours and incidents since 1989.

To top it off they can only be bothered to open 4 days a week, a right boost for anyone trying to holiday nearby.

For my money, it's the worst run resort by some distance and I sincerely hope it goes under so it can be rescued by a proper bunch.

Hard to imagine Glenshee or Glencoe making such a hash of the infrastructure.
Some frustrated skier

Date Posted: 22.00hrs on Mon 31 Oct 22
Do you have a screenshot to share?

For those that don't have an Instagram account.
IMissTheOldNR

Date Posted: 13.03hrs on Sun 6 Nov 22
Fred

Date Posted: 15.08hrs on Tue 22 Nov 22
Nevis Range: So much potential, so little delivered.
Welcome to Scotland.
Former Nevis season ticket holder

Date Posted: 13.28hrs on Fri 23 Dec 22
Yes, the current management team are hopeless.

Warrens and BraveHeart have been secretly condemned and will not run again without major investment/replacement.

This is why they no longer appear on the trail map! Nevisrange will never admit this as they would be required to remove all trace of them to comply with their original planning conditions. $$$$$$$$$$$$

The much promoted snow making factory has not lived up to the promise of creating perfect beginner conditions all year round. It’s just used to make some quick cash from people wanting to sledge.

It’s also the way they treat there local staff! They used covid as an excuse to make a number of long standing staff redundant. While they new management team sing their praises on social media, posting picture after picture of them at numerous award ceremonies.

Don’t even get me started on the hotel development, it’s looks like an agricultural building with amazing views of the gondola station roof.

The comical partnership with Andora!

They just need to slow down, work on one project at a time and do each one really well. It’s seems that everything they do is rushed and done to the lowest possible budget.

I could go on and on!
Thirsty Boy

Date Posted: 13.25hrs on Wed 28 Dec 22
Does anyone know why they stopped serving alcohol in the base station cafe? Seemed like a very strange decision.
winterhighland

Last Visited: 18:04
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 21.22hrs on Thu 29 Dec 22
Thirsty Boy Wrote:
Does anyone know why they stopped serving alcohol in the base station cafe? Seemed like a very strange decision.

AFAIK the existing base cafe is no longer operated by Nevis Range, which has licensing implications. There is a new bar due to open at the base in the new building.
Fed up local

Date Posted: 22.14hrs on Thu 29 Dec 22
Just noticed that Nevis range have reduced the size of the patrolled skiable area!
So I assume that nothing will now be maintained out with this area now, grooming, fences, lifts? So now we’ll be paying more for less of a prepared area( and it wasn’t well prepared before!)
I was only on the hill one day last season! which was opening day in FEBRUARY and nothing was ready, no button on the summit! T-bar never opened until after 11am, summit never opened for another 2 weeks after that, groomer groomed the same line on the chair 5 times, stopping the chair every time it went round the top. The rest of the hill needed more than a little attention. Just a shambles. Gonna give my money to Glencoe from now on.
Even more fed up local

Date Posted: 22.43hrs on Mon 9 Jan 23
Skiing is quite obviously an afterthought at Nevis range. Recently had a chat with someone relatively senior while visiting the expensive car park. They were delighted the hotel would be opening in time for the season. Turns out they meant the summer season. They don’t even consider winter a season. I wouldn’t waste your money on a “season” pass here.
Howden

Date Posted: 14.55hrs on Tue 10 Jan 23
Even more fed up local Wrote:
Skiing is quite obviously an afterthought at Nevis range. Recently had a chat with someone relatively senior while visiting the expensive car park. They were delighted the hotel would be opening in time for the season. Turns out they meant the summer season. They don’t even consider winter a season. I wouldn’t waste your money on a “season” pass here.

Well the policy of only opening 5 days a week (ie not on Tuesdays and Wednesdays) would seem to confirm there is no point buying a season ticket as you won't be able to use it enough to justify the price. Presumably the apparent abandoning of skiing is why the founder and owner has left but I am just guessing on that one. More info as to the philosophy of what they are trying to achieve wouldn't go amiss.
Telemarker

Date Posted: 20.37hrs on Tue 10 Jan 23
Sad to read about skiing capacity being reduced, I only went there if braveheart chair was going to run.
I see adult lift day pass is over £41 !

Surprised not more being said about these changes, Cairngorm just need to move a boulder and there is uproar
Alan Melville

Date Posted: 14.22hrs on Tue 17 Jan 23
The way the seasons have been going I think they are all struggling for staff.
To be fair it's a thankless job trying to run a ski business in Scotland..
Alan Melville

Date Posted: 14.29hrs on Tue 17 Jan 23
To be fair I think skiing in Scotland, the days are numberd.
I can't see how any company can survive with such unpredictable weather patterns.
Good luck to all of them..
FWSkier

Date Posted: 15.50hrs on Sun 22 Jan 23
Alan Melville Wrote:
To be fair I think skiing in Scotland, the days are numberd.
I can't see how any company can survive with such unpredictable weather patterns.
Good luck to all of them..

Interesting take, what are you basing this on? The weather was unpredictable in Scotland long before skiing was even thought of!

I might tend to agree with you on 'the days are numbered', but I think bad management and incompetence will eliminate the Scottish ski industry a long long time before the 'unpredictable' weather does.

Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: