You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
John Doherty

Last Visited: 05:07
2nd Sep 2007
Yad Moss
Date Posted: 22.11hrs on Tue 17 Dec 02
There maybe no Scottish Ski-ing at present, however tomorrow the Yad Moss ski tow will be operated, good news as last season was virtually a washout. Although the snow report suggests the lower reaches of the slope have thin cover, which probably means more grass than snow!
Grant

Re: Yad Moss
Date Posted: 16.43hrs on Wed 18 Dec 02
Hi, I took a look at the Yad moss ski area 2 day, like you say the lower slopes do have more grass than snow but the higher slopes have quite a decent covering. Was well worth the effort 2 get there, It's not techically a ski resort just more like a tow or two has been installed, well worth the money thoe.

Also took a look at Rise in the Lake district on helvellyn, no skiing as it was shut only open no weekends "I was told". Extensive covering of snow here, about 8inch or so, on the higher slopes, and drifting on Helvellyn and collecting behind the fences about 3ft in places. Only problem with this area is theres about a 1hr walk in, to the bottom lift.
Dave

Date Posted: 14.33hrs on Thu 19 Dec 02
Do you know of a website or contact number for Raise... it's a bit of a hike to find out that there isn't enough snow.

Dave
Grant

Date Posted: 15.45hrs on Thu 19 Dec 02
Dave try

www.snow-resorts-north-england.co.uk

or phone 01768775757 (lakes weather line 4 the snow conditions on Helvellyn wer the ski lift is).
Grant

Date Posted: 16.08hrs on Thu 19 Dec 02
Just got 2 say that you have to give the SWINHOPE area a go. Have a look at the link on www.snow-resorts-north-england.co.uk.

Look at the photo's what you see is what you get, wide open piste's and no one there, usually just you and a few locals.

Has everythin from wide open upper slopes for experienced skiers and boarders and gentle lower slopes 4 begginers. (take a look at the photo's)

It's got a base station and midstation that ne scottish resort would love 2 have. also got 2 Kassbohrer piste bashes.

(remember there not trying to compete with scotland or the alps, there just ran and maintained by the locals and members). but I have had great skiing there in the right conditions.

If i can remember correctly on 2 tow or so i think.

Have fun!!!!
dave

Date Posted: 12.46hrs on Fri 20 Dec 02
Thanks for that info Grant. The link you gave didn't work but the site is available here.

[www.snowlion.freeuk.com]

Loads of info, links and contact phone numbers for the different ski tows in this area.

I've not been to SWINHOPE before but it sounds well worth a visit when the snow comes. I've been to Raise a lot and with a good covering of snow the west slopes of the the Dodds are excellent - much longer runs, no-one else around, amazing views, ok but you'll have to hike back up after. Have you tried any of the east facing gullies around this area?

I didn't realise the were so many small ski areas in this part of the Pennine moors.

Dave
Peter S

Date Posted: 09.03hrs on Sun 22 Dec 02
There used to be even more tows in the Pennines. Alston Moor, Hartside, Langdon Beck and Great Dunn Fell. Unfortunately all these have been removed and activity now centres around Yad Moss, Harwood Common and Weardale at Swinhope.

Still, plenty of variety at these centres and lots of fun to be had when the snow arrives. Check the Yad Moss website;

www.skicarlisle.skiers.co.uk
PeterS

Date Posted: 13.11hrs on Thu 2 Jan 03
Skied at Yadmoss on New Years Day. Were we the only ones in the UK using lift served access yesterday or did Weardale get operational ?
Raise and Harwood Common did not open.

Conditions were pretty thin but the actual skiing was ligtening fast on frozen snow with wet grass underneath and an easterly wind blowing down the slope. (see photos on the Carlisle Ski Club website.) Not at all suitable conditions for begginers but very challenging for everyone else and we had a good day.

De-iced the top pylon and eventually had the tow running by about 11.30 am and ran it until about 3;30. Plenty long enough for lots of half mile laps. Only about 7 skiers and boarders so no queues and plenty of space.

Pisted the slope with the Kassborher which made the runs skiable.

Almost certainly the thin cover will have melted considerably by now but the prospects for the weekend may be good. Keep an eye on the forecast and check out the snow line 01228 561634.
PeterS

Date Posted: 12.40hrs on Fri 3 Jan 03
Looks like a fabulous mountain day out there today. Several inches of snow at 1000' in the Yorkshire Dales and cold temperatures under blue skies. Unfortunately I'm trapped in the office - dooohhh.

The report from Yad Moss further north, is of a general snow cover, thin in places but pisteable and probably quite fast. The Poma is expected to be operational from about 10am today so probably there should be people enjoying the snow there right now.

The Lake District ski club are also checking conditions at their ski tow on Raise today and looking at the Ullswater webcams there is a thin covering right down to lake level. Looks like there may be some activity there this weekend too.

Check out their answerphones and websites this evening for info and photos. Might be a reasonable weekend of sport ahead if fast thin challenging skiing is your thing!

Keep it coming and lets hope the Highlands get a big dump too.
John B

Date Posted: 12.50hrs on Fri 3 Jan 03
What is the link to the ulswater webcam you mentioned?

Checkout the Keswick webcam, looking towards Skiddaw...
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Anybody got any ideas for ski touring? It sounds as though there may be enough cover in the pennines somewhere. I can see Kinder and Bleaklow from my office and they look white, but was there more snow further north?
John B

Date Posted: 12.58hrs on Fri 3 Jan 03
What is the link to the ulswater webcam you mentioned?

Checkout the Keswick webcam, looking towards Skiddaw...
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Anybody got any ideas for ski touring? It sounds as though there may be enough cover in the pennines somewhere. I can see Kinder and Bleaklow from my office and they look white, but was there more snow further north?
PeterS

Date Posted: 13.17hrs on Fri 3 Jan 03
I was looking at www.glenriddingcybercafe.co.uk

Looking towards Place Fell - so you have to guess what Raise and Hellvellyn is like.

Does the Lake District National Park website still contain a daily winter conditions report from Hellvellyn ?

If you're looking for a tour you could try the High Pennines around Cross Fell. Should be plenty of snow up there. You can actually drive up to 2,500' almost onto the summit of Great Dun fell from Knock village in the Eden Valley. This is in fact the highest road in Great Britain. However beware it won't be ploughed and you will need winter tyres or chains, or a tracked vehicle !

The other good touring area is around the Dodds in the Lake District, to the north of Hellvellyn. The grass is short and its relatively rock free but with the snow coming from the north and East the cover will probably be better on Cross Fell.
PeterS

Date Posted: 08.58hrs on Mon 6 Jan 03
John B - Did you get out this W/E ? Did you find much snow ?
We've just had 3 very good days at Yad Moss with perhaps 150 skiers, boarders and telemarkers there on each day. The runs are getting worn but there is still plenty of good skiing which will continue whilst it remains cold. The tow will be open again today from 11.00am. Check the website and answer phone for details of opening.

Looking across to Cross Fell, Dun Fell and Mickle Fell there looks to be quite a lot of snow in the high Pennines. Should be very good touring this week up there.

Over here in the Yorkshire Dales there has been another slight dusting of snow last night so if this has reached as far west as YadMoss it should have freshened things up slightly.
Mark Pickles

Date Posted: 13.09hrs on Mon 6 Jan 03
Anybody know if its wise to take a brand new pair of skis to a place like this?
Think I probably know the answer! But thought I'd check anyway...
M
Alan Mackay

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 13.15hrs on Mon 6 Jan 03
Probably better than taking them to CairnGorm just now!!!

[%sig%]
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: