You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Graham Pinkerton

the missing lift
Date Posted: 11.39hrs on Thu 13 Feb 03
I was casually flicking through some maps last night (as you do) when I came accross an un-named ski lift in the middle of nowhere.
landranger 43, Carn an Tuire, grid ref 174 810 has a wee tow at the end of a fairly long (bigger than the plateu at the coe anyway) walk in.
Does it still exist, does it run, why is it there?
Anyone know, or at least able to provide a witty reason?
Doug

Re: the missing lift
Date Posted: 11.54hrs on Thu 13 Feb 03
Don't have a map to hand to check its the same one, but there used to be a tow on Cairn an Turc (1960s ?) and you can still see some remnants but it hasn't run for well over 20 years. Think it was built by a club from Dundee.

But it's in a sort of easy angled gully that holds snow really well and usually gives good skiing (not so easy to find from the top in bad visibility).
Doug Bryce

Date Posted: 11.59hrs on Thu 13 Feb 03
Old ordance survey maps of Glenshee area theres a lift marked on Carn Turc (about 5 miles north of Glas Maol). Anyway - the lift certainly aint there now - however I dont know anything about its history or who used to run it ???? Its not marked on new version of the map either.

Was up there on a moutain bike a couple of years ago in summertime and all that remains is a couple of concrete blocks.

Doug.
Admin

Date Posted: 14.13hrs on Thu 13 Feb 03
I'd guess this may have been built and run by the Dundee or Perth sections of the Scottish Ski Club. They built the Meall Odhar T-Bar in 1957(I think) so might have had something to do with this lift as well. If anyone knows more or can correct us do share, curious about this, because I've never heard of this lift before. I know there were portable rope tows used on Mt Blair and that area but didn't know there was anything permenent other than on Meall Odhar.

Somebody more in the know might be able to correct me on this, but I heard a story last year, that the ski clubs run the Meall Odhar Tow during weekends in June in 1994, and a couple of weekends after Glenshee shut in 2001. Does the club still own this T-bar, if so who can use it if Glenshee is shut?
Graham

Date Posted: 16.21hrs on Thu 13 Feb 03
The lift was operated by Aberdeen Ski Club, and consisted of a hut and a 250yd fibre rope tow (early 60's), in a gully known as "Turkey Gully"

There were also tows around these times at: -
Graham

Date Posted: 16.38hrs on Thu 13 Feb 03
The lift was operated by Aberdeen Ski Club, and consisted of a hut and a 250yd fibre rope tow (early 60's), in a gully known as "Turkey Gully"

There were also tows around these times at: -

1. Creagan Bheithe - approx 1 mile north of Spittal of Glenshee and was a rope tow operated by Dundee Ski Club and a hut.

2. Creag Bhalg - above Mar Lodge, bulit in 1963 complete with snow making equipment !?! and comprised of 2 T-bars. Blue tow was 620' long (180' vert) & the Red Tow was 2050' long (600' vertical to near the summit of Creag Bhalg). The first season's snow making was a disaster 63/64 as the temperature rarely got below freezing (sound familiar global warming fans?). What happened to the venture?

3. Some sort of small tow again with snow making at Dalmunzie up behind Spittal (the International Glenshee Ski School)

There was I am sure at one time a rope tow used to operate in Coire Odhar between Meall Corranaich and Bein Ghlas in the Lawers Range

Graham
patrick

Date Posted: 19.01hrs on Thu 13 Feb 03
Doug-
hope you was carrying your bike!
Doug Bryce

Date Posted: 09.08hrs on Fri 14 Feb 03
Re : Carrying bike. Theres a landrover track to almost the summit - then after that it its uncycle-able. I presume track is used for grouse shooting ?
patrick

Date Posted: 18.42hrs on Sat 15 Feb 03
excuse my ignorance Doug - never seen it bare of the white stuff
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: