You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Andrew Cook

ski touring
Date Posted: 16.38hrs on Thu 13 Feb 03
Thinking of heading west across to Aviemore or Nevis area this weekend for ski mountaineering. I was in the Braemar area last weekend and it was a case of walking or heather skiing between snow patches.
Anyone tried getting onto the Northern Corries or Macdui in the Cairngorms or Aonach Mor in Lochaber ?

andy
Richard Harris

Re: ski touring
Date Posted: 00.27hrs on Tue 18 Feb 03
A week ago there was ample snow on Aonach Mor (east face) to ski the major gullies all the way from the Nid ridge southwards to the Summit Gully beyond Spikes, although Easy Gully was tracked with climber's foot steps. My mates were there yesterday and report hard icy snow. You should be able to tour all along from the Nid wall on Aonach Mor, via the summit and down to the Aonach Mor/Aonach Beag col and up to the Aonach Beag summit. You can also ski the gully eastwards from the col - usally holds snow well, but watch out for the rock hard snow. I'll be in Fort William from Wednesday night until Sunday night with two other mates. If I can get on the web I'll post a note on Thursday/Friday if you like, or I can call you. Let me know.
Andrew Cook

Re: ski touring
Date Posted: 13.33hrs on Tue 18 Feb 03
Thanks Richard. I ended up in the Creag Megaidh - spelling? - Creag "Meggy" - area, but got defeated by gale force winds, when approaching the 2nd munro.
Not planning on heading west this weekend, have a good trip
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: