You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
skiing addict

Downhill skis
Date Posted: 10.20hrs on Sat 1 Nov 03
Does anybody know of any Fully ridgid winter boots (b3s) that are compatable with a standard downhill binding e.g. solomon 7 10. Ive seen people climb to the top of munros e.g. Ben Nevis and ski off them... I have bin wanting to walk up a mountain and ski off it for ages!!! What boots do i need,... , would ski mountaineering boots like the denali be sufficient???
Wot boots are best???

[%sig%]
Simon Donald

Re: Downhill skis
I've used my Scarpa Denalis in my ordinary ski bindings (i.e. a set of Salomon bindings), but I don't think the release mechanisms work 100% as they are supposed to. As far as I know no B3 climbing boot like the Vega or Nepal Extreme can be worn in conventional bindings. Some people use B3 Climbing boots in the Silvretta 440 and 500(?) ski mountaineering bindings and I've seen people carrying Salomon Snowblades on their packs next to their ice climbing gear on the walk into Sneachda, but as far as I know you're left open to fair amount of risk in terms of ankle injuries and fractures as they don't have as much ankle protection as a ski boot. It would be like back in the days when people skied with leather boots.

If you wanna do this and have a set of Denalis then use them (but be warned about the risk of the release not working as intended or at all), but if you have a set of Denalis then you'd have ski mountaineering kit and we wouldn't be having this discussion. You could hire some ski mountaineering kit (Cairngorm or Braemar Mountain Sports hire it as do some of the shops in Ft. William I would assume). Apart from that unless you want to hike up in your ski boots or carry them then I don't know what you can do.

Anyone else?
Brucey

Or you could by-pass the winter walking boots and use crampons on your ski boots after walking as high as you safely can with normal walking boots. It means carrying a pair of ski boots as well but it can make it a far more enjoyable (and safe!) ski.
EB

Last Visited: 13:39
3rd Jul 2019
I've hiked in Denalis - up a lot of munros, as last year the snowline was so high.

I don't mind hiking in them, but I think I'm the minority. Never had a problem with releasing, but I didn't ski any gullies last year, so mainly undulating tours. - so can't really comment on this with certainty.

Even though I don't mind hiking in them - it's always a relief to get them off. Also, I'm not sure if this is an issue yet or not, but I think I've worn away the soles a bit, so I'm not sure if they are a very precise fit in my bindings - is a bit of a concern.

I've also hiked in Lowa Stuktura's which were a bit more comfortable - and very like a downhill boot in descent.

I couldn't have done any of these hikes in normal ski-boots - and I don't really like the idea of hiking up with bulky boots - so a decent pair of Denalis or Lowas would be my recommendation - maybe ex-hire or 2nd hand if you're worried about wearing out the soles!

EB
skiing addict

Thanks guys!!! theres some stuff to think about there!!!
cheers
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: