You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous123456Next
Current Page:4 of 6
some frustrated skier

Last Visited: 21:55
16th Feb 2021
Re: Snow coming....?
Date Posted: 10.20hrs on Sat 1 Nov 03
THINK SNOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
Al

Looks from the summit cam that fresh snow has fallen !
Jamie

Yeah, let's just hope enough falls. smiling smiley

[%sig%]
bOARDER1

Is that sleet falling on top of cairngorms or snow just now. Hard to tell cause of the camera is covered .
Jamie

Iced up I would think. It's -3*C at the top, with the freezing level around mid-station.

[%sig%]
Andy

Last Visited: 08:47
2nd May 2019
Is the weather station on the summit working again?, only the heriot watt site says the station is not running at the moment. I noticed the summit temp in general situation page from underground weather . Is this quite accurate as i'm planning on a trip into the cairngorms this weekend.
Jamie

The Weather Station on the Summit has been working for as long as I can remember... Or that would be as long as I have been aware of it...

Yes, you can find the summit information on a few different sites.

[%sig%]

Post Edited (14:32 hrs on Fri 24 Oct 03)
brendan

Andy

Last Visited: 08:47
2nd May 2019
I thought it was run by heriot watt and there site says it's disconected while the roof is replaced. I just didn't know if the wunderground site was reliable or not .
Cheers
Andy
Essan

Last Visited: 14:54
23rd Dec 2014
I think the warm front late on Sunday will strip most of the snow off Cairngorm - but by Tuesday there should some heavy showers depositing a new load smiling smiley

[%sig%]
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
CM Summit AWS:

The orginal HW Uni weather station has been out of action for a long time, however the Met Office (I believe) has some instrumentation up there, those that have access to them can get fuller info from SYNOP reports for station 03065 .

Unfortunately only mean wind speed for the period is given out to these web sites that display the info. The Herroit Watt station is better source when it works!

The linked temp on the GS page is accurate, but not updated as quickly or as often as the weatheronline site, CairnGorm Mountain Summit Data is here.

[%sig%]
Mr Thomson

I was one of the lucky chaps who managed to dodge that big bloody wheel on the ww poma
ps what is the official explanation
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
See thread all systems go, there is a discussion about the West Wall Poma there. In short I think it's basically the upline hit the deck from the top pylon initiating a bounce/wave motion in the cable, which set the return wheel in motion thus causing a postive feedback which amplifed the wave/bounce in the cable. This resulted in the returnwheel going so far over that the cable derailed, missing the cable catcher owing to the way it let go.

This is the inherent danger in a floating bull-wheel arrangement, only the opposing tensions of the cables keep it there, loose a cable, everything hits the deck. I have in the past seen the WW Poma bull wheel swaying about very violently, and the wheel going from sloping left to right, to sloping right to left, obviously an issue with something making the cable resinate. Maybe the behaviour of the cable is connected to the horrendous take offs at the bottom, Poma have investigated that and never been able to find a cause let alone a solution. Putting in a fixed Return Wheel would be better, and also should helpe to reduce problems on the downline in high winds.

[%sig%]
George

Alan, Both the Day Lodge poma and the M1 poma have gut/back/bollock wrenching take offs and yet they have fixed ,albeit, tensioned and counterbalanced bull wheel assemblies. We all feel that this is due to the ground profile in the first few metres of the up-line. P S Is Mr Thomson the famous " Snow-shoe Thomson"??? George.

[%sig%]
George

And of course we are still waiting on a reply from CML as regards the future of the W Wall Poma, which realistically is of more importance than indulging in "post mortems". ( Considering that it is ultimately one of the three most important up-lifts for the "discerning" skier on the Gorm.)
Goto Page:  Previous123456Next
Current Page:4 of 6
This Thread has been closed