You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous123456Next
Current Page:5 of 6
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: Snow coming....?
Date Posted: 10.20hrs on Sat 1 Nov 03
What i meant was not that the floating bull wheel caused the take offs, but that whatever was causing the takes offs was in part responsible for puting a wave motion through the cable that sometimes sets the WW Poma bull wheel swaying violently.

The importance or not of the West Wall Poma is largely depdent on snow, if only the M2 is skiable, then it's quite a loss as queuing for the Ciste Tow after the chair is bad news, if the Gully and West Wall are open, it's not such an issue, except for getting back to the Cas. Again this wouldnt be an issue if snow is reasonable low down.

Also if only the M2 and upper Aonach Bowl route are complete, the Aonach Poma can always be cranked into service to serve the top half of the bowl. Even if the bowl isnt skiable, if the up-track is complete it would give access to the lower half of the M2, back to the load point at the cross over. (That make any sense, I need a piste map... lol!)

[%sig%]
some frustrated skier

Last Visited: 21:55
16th Feb 2021
Can Pomas be run in that way?
alan

27th Mar 2024
Yes, it used to be done quite a bit b4 the WW Poma opened and provided alternative uplift for the upper Aonach Bowl, it also is done from time to time on the West Wall Poma to provide additional uplift for the Top Basin. At the cross-over on traverse through the Aonach Bowl, on the Snow Fence by the tow track is post with connector points, this allows stop/start controls to be wired in there for the Aonach Poma. Once all the buttons are dropped onto the line, the lift is set to let them slide through the rack straight back onto the cable.

[%sig%]
George

In my experience, the above only happened as many times as "herself" made sensible Management decisions. It's quite a bit more difficult to mount a moving poma than a t-bar, plus nowadays when it is not a proper intermediate station CML leaves themselves open, to quote yourself---litigation, when poor wee Jimmy(or Christopher hyphen,hyphen)maims himself when trying to get on the lift. PS up the hill today-by Train- and the "driver "says any questions? So I asked whats happening with the W Wall poma. Sorry sir I don't know anything about it. " Must have been his first ever day on the Gorm and he can't know that it exists. Down the bottom it's the same story---no one available in Information. Still, at least they got one thing done after a couple of "observations"----- the access road re white-lined(after I had been nearly clouted a few times this summer on motorbike and in car by tourist's driving these cars that increase in width by 50% when they leave the comfort of the City.
helen rennie

When was the west wall poma used to provide additional uplift for the top area? I admit that I didn't ski much in the late eighties early nineties, but since then I can't ever remember this happening or it even being suggested.
I've been one of the Ambassadors for the last three years and trying to organise and keep moving the huge queues at the Ciste and Ptarmigan particularly at the weekends has been one of our tasks. Pairing folk up, taking up first timers and boarders who have refused before to go up with another person, and trying to spot and prevent queue jumpers, is about all we can do. However using the w.w. poma would obviously reduce the ciste tow queue.
Was it only done when there was not enough snow to operate it from the bottom, or did they do it in a way so empty pomas were sent up inbetween ones being used at the bottom.
At the moment the question is unlikely to be relevant for this season judging from the feedback on this thread regarding the fixing of the poma, but I am curious.

[%sig%]
alan

27th Mar 2024
The (non) view from the top:

Looking West from the Ptarmigan to the M1 Poma. Visibility too poor to see Ciste Tow from the Top Station. Generaly not that much snow but starting to fill behind fences with the orientation of the Ciste Fairway/Tow. Not much snow about, but at a guess it wouldn't need much more for some limited sport in the Top Basin.

Repaird Ciste Bottom Station - Sat 25th Oct

The on and offramps have been repaired, and a new hut installed. A concrete ramp has been built onto the loading platform with rubber matting over it.

PS When were you up the hill George, was up there this afternoon.

[%sig%]
alan

27th Mar 2024
Also noticed on the way up that the M1 Poma is missing part of the bottom pylon, with cable stays holding the cable down, hopefully nothing major, as this lift would be far more important for an early dump, and though a couple of mild days are on the cards, things are looking much more hopefull for the second half of next week!!

[%sig%]
George

Alan I was coming down on the train at about twenty past three. I saw the lack of a pulley wheel on the M1 as well. I do not think that there is any need to worry. It is probably just off for a bearing or "tyre" replacement. On consideration there is the possibility that this piece of maintainance will not now be carried out untill the "window" now that this website has highlighted the various "delays". Never mind Alan, I hear that CML are looking for fitters so here is your chance to be at the other end again!!!!!
alan

27th Mar 2024
Must have passed each other, I went up on the half three train! CML looking for fitters, funny you should say that, the girl in Information said Visitor Services were needing staff too, and there's signs all over the Ptarmigan Restaurant for catering staff!

Website, come and work here, the V-facto info displays, get urself a job here, the notice boards, heck even the phone message asks if you want to work on CairnGorm! Maybe we should all get together and go and sort the place out! smiling smiley

Wouldn't mind a shot at driving the piste bashers mind.....

[%sig%]
bOARDER1

Cairngorm on thursday 23rd of october 2003 .

[%sig%]
some frustrated skier

Last Visited: 21:55
16th Feb 2021
Talking of jobs look what is said on the website at the bottom of the paragragh. This may sound worrying .
"If its winter work you're after, why not complete an application form now and we'll be in touch nearer the beginning of the winter season. Opportunities for winter in Catering, Equipment Hire, Customer Services (which includes Visitor Information and Ticket Office). We may need some folks for Lifts and Tows work but unlikely to start before 2004."
Graene

Dear George
Snowshoe Thomson can
1. not opperate a computer
2. is a part time skiier ie afternoons only if the sun is out
3.has a younger brother who does know what email is and is a keen enthusiastic skiier.

ps thank you for the information on the ww poma.
alan

27th Mar 2024
I cant recall the West Wall Poma being used for the Top Basin after 1993. Far from being something that is done less, it should be done more often, on more lifts to make better use of limited cover. With careful preperation, setting up stop buttons, getting a level loading area and properly planning the set up of a temporay load station there should be no saftey issues. Health and Saftey is far too often CML's excuse for a do-nothing attitude.

The West Wall Poma was used for the Top Basin at peak times when the snow cover was limited on the mountain, and there was either no snow below the Top Basin or the up-track was broken. The loading point was between the bottom of the Ciste Tow and the top of the WW Chair where the tow track is flat, and it was leveled out so the buttons weren't dragging on the snow so they were easier to catch. Stop controls were wired into the pylon.

Durring 2002 I along with countless snowboarders suggested to operations that they load the Fiaciall Tow at the mid-point where there's a low level pylon ideal for loading, to service the Terrain Park. As well has providing uplift for the park it would have served a short but reasonable run on the other side of the tow. But the HS guy kept saying no-way, he wouldnt give a reason, or jusitify his stance, it was just NO.

Frequently during the past two seasons the top half of the Fiacall Tow could have been used to serve the terrain park area, this would have given an extra open lift and been seen by those using the park as CML making a special extra bit of effort, to provide the best service they could under limited cover, surely that in itself was worth the little bit of effort involved, rather than once again re-inforcing the very negative and widely held belief that CML does nothing for it's snowsport customers.

I believe that some of the stick CML gets on here is excessive and not all justified, but CML has got to help itself, it has to make that effort and be seen to make the effort if it is ever to regain the trust and respect of it's dwindling numbers of snowsport customers, let alone re-capture those lost
during the 90's.

[%sig%]
George

Alan, Up again today with the better weather ( heavy rain forecast ) via Sneachda, the top of the Cas, Traverse and the new Ptarmigan. About a dozen boarders and one lone skier came down the Traverse and dropped of the slope down to the mid 105 and got as far as near the top of the Gunbarrel. A lot of rocks, but plenty snow as well. But do not get too excited, there is still not enough for lift-served skiing. There is quite a bit in the Top Basin, but it still needs a good dump yet. There is a lot of rime-ing on the cables and T-bars and it would be possible to ski down the skiers right of the Ciste tow track fence. The snow up the top was a nightmare breakable crust which would be easier on a 'board. Still no word on the W Wall Poma, but there is a story on the White Lady Tow. Seems that it has to get a new rope for this season--but there is a problem. There is a problem getting the cable-drum up the hill because the path width agreed for conservation reasons does not permit the wide trailer needed to carry the drum access to do the re-placement. ( A chopper lift costs almost as much as the cable.) Catch 22.
andydckent

Last Visited: 15:28
12th Aug 2019
Webcam this morning shows that the snow has been stripped at low level with the only snow remaining above the top 1/3 of the M1 poma, the snow that remains at the top is patchy but it still looks like the snow between the fence lines and in the gullies is holding on! Lets hope it can hold out until the temp falls back overnight, its still a usefull base! Oh and anyone know how the Cas is holding out?
Andy

[%sig%]
Goto Page:  Previous123456Next
Current Page:5 of 6
This Thread has been closed