You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:64 of 99
daveski

Last Visited: 10:01
28th Apr 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: Snow making
Date Posted: 15.09hrs on Thu 6 Oct 11
andytb Wrote:
TLDR for Dave's post: We can do it but nobody is saying if we can afford it.

Andytb - no idea what TLDR means smiling smiley
andytb

Last Visited: 10:36
4th May 2018
Date Posted: 15.12hrs on Thu 6 Oct 11
"Too long; didn't read"
happygirl

Last Visited: 12:56
21st May 2012
Date Posted: 19.58hrs on Wed 30 Nov 11
So how many hours of snow making has there been this season so far then???? One of the warmest autumns ever. Last two years were freak shows. The climate reality is warm.
matchstick1

Last Visited: 11:24
10th Jun 2013
Date Posted: 19.59hrs on Wed 30 Nov 11
Naff off troll!
happygirl

Last Visited: 12:56
21st May 2012
Date Posted: 20.07hrs on Wed 30 Nov 11
Shall we look at a few wee facts then. September was 1.6c above average for minimum temperatures. October was 1.9c for the same here in bonnie Scotland. The CET for November was 3c warmer than normal.
remote_patrol

Last Visited: 22:53
20th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 20.29hrs on Wed 30 Nov 11
happygirl Wrote:
Shall we look at a few wee facts then. September was 1.6c above average for minimum temperatures. October was 1.9c for the same here in bonnie Scotland. The CET for November was 3c warmer than normal.

shit! really.... well thats us all told isn't it. may as well pack up my board and boots now then really. too bad, guess i must have imagined all those seasons prior to 09/10 when it rained all november and there was still plenty snow all winter to have some fun, looks like 11/12 will have to be spend in the misery corner with happygirl and all the other trolls sad smiley gutted.
moffatross

Date Posted: 20.30hrs on Wed 30 Nov 11
Happygirl, as you probably know very well, minimum temperatures occur under a clear, calm night sky which is why frosts can occur at desert locations in high summer, close to the equator. The drag of moist, claggy, air from the south Atlantic that's dominated October & November was also a 'freak show' that meant most of us didn't have any calm, clear nights to speak of.

Also, as you may well know, CET = Central England Temperature.

Check out Philip Eden's excellent site at [www.climate-uk.com] to contrast & compare CET & Scottish locations year to date.

The next couple of weeks will be dominated by an Atlantic, westerly flow but contrary to received wisdom, Scotland will see below average temperatures. Arguably also a freak show.

So, lots of freakshows yes but bandying around 1's, 2's & 3's above normal is not just disingenuous but not clever either.
matchstick1

10th Jun 2013
Date Posted: 21.09hrs on Wed 30 Nov 11
Guys, don't feed it!

Surely better to discuss the impending arrival of the Techno Alpin snow cannons at Glencoe and Cairngorm or something similar!
bluebunnet

Last Visited: 19:39
12th Jun 2012
Date Posted: 21.13hrs on Wed 30 Nov 11
Went for a gander at the new snow fall today - and to see how the new snow fences were fairing - and it looked like CML were getting ready to fire up the new snow canon at the next available opportunity... I also heard today that they were planning having a liftie working it through the night this season (temperature dependent of course!)Any one else heard anything?
matchstick1

10th Jun 2013
Date Posted: 21.28hrs on Wed 30 Nov 11
^ So the cannon has arrived or they're just preparing for it's arrival?

Interesting that Glencoe intend to start blasting theirs as soon as they can and are advertising the 17th Dec as opening day!

Apparently Cairngorm are getting the help of a Techno Alpin technician, presumably he/she will also be advising Glencoe?
bluebunnet

Last Visited: 19:39
12th Jun 2012
Date Posted: 21.39hrs on Wed 30 Nov 11
Matchstick1, The snow cannon has arrived. It looks like a cool bit of kit. I spoke to the Gardener up there and he was telling me that they are thinking of damming the new pipe at the bridge going over to the car park tow area to use as a reservoir for the cannon. Sounds intriguing!
igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 22.05hrs on Wed 30 Nov 11
Cannon arrived at Glencoe this morning.

It will be fired up on Tuesday 5th Dec with the assistance of the TechnoAlpin technician.

To find out how it's performing please register on the glencoe website for updates (click on the triangle on the homepage).

Andy
moffatross

Date Posted: 22.27hrs on Wed 30 Nov 11
That's great to hear Andy. smiling smiley I'm sure there's no shortage of water. tongue sticking out smiley

With the recent snows & rains, are there any 'nearly skiable' lines up on Meall a Bhuiridh yet ? With what;s to come over the next few days, I'd been thinking about hiking up on Sunday to try my luck. smiling smiley
igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 09.44hrs on Thu 1 Dec 11
moffatross

As long as you bring rock bashers I am sure that there are a couple of skiable lines. The snow that has fallen has been pretty wet and falling onto saturated ground so will form a pretty solid base once it freezes up. Theres a bit more snow and wind forecast for the next couple of days so I am sure that by Sunday it will be even better. The sun is out on the webcams at the moment so you you can get a pretty good view.

I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Andy
moffatross

Date Posted: 16.06hrs on Thu 1 Dec 11
Thanks Andy ... Advice noted re. cover but as I'm not too precious about my kit, I'm always happy to risk a ding or two. All skis are rockbashers, it's their natural destiny. tongue sticking out smiley

Anyway, hopefully I'll be up Sunday & pray there'll be some cloud breaks to take some pictures. smiling smiley
Current Page:64 of 99
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: