You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:228 of 228
growwild

Re: CairnGorm Mtn (Non Conditions Discussion)
Date Posted: 16.25hrs on Tue 2 Apr 19
Aye, I cannae see wee susy ever having a chance tae replace the wallace monument with a clone of her own....

Fugly arlene's the best thing that's ever happened in the name of freedom. Will the brits have her hung drawn and quartered and bury a bit of her hate in the boundery of whats left or can we stick a bit up perth and let the Irish have a bit of her, the Welsh and Cornish and them hardy northerners of the south will need a relic tae honour too?!

DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 18.33hrs on Tue 2 Apr 19
tupp Wrote:
And the next mistake is made public,

Susan Smith of HIE infamy, who already has too many chapters of this farcical tale dedicated to herself, is to be the interim chief executive of CMSL.

I'm gobsmacked.

I am presuming this is an April Fool's joke!

tupp

Date Posted: 19.14hrs on Tue 2 Apr 19
DonaldM Wrote:

I am presuming this is an April Fool's joke!

I wish it was Donald. You've had first hand experience of just how bad this is.

Anyone who wants the best for Cairngorm will be hard pressed to find humour in this news.

jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 11.34hrs on Thu 4 Apr 19
growwild Wrote:
Aye, I cannae see wee susy ever having a chance tae replace the wallace monument with a clone of her own....

Fugly arlene's the best thing that's ever happened in the name of freedom. Will the brits have her hung drawn and quartered and bury a bit of her hate in the boundery of whats left or can we stick a bit up perth and let the Irish have a bit of her, the Welsh and Cornish and them hardy northerners of the south will need a relic tae honour too?!

Looks like May is now in the running at least £200 million wasted compensating for her "hostile" immigration environment when Home secretary resulting in the Windrush scandal. Boris has at least £43 due to the garden bridge fiasco. Susan Smith is really small fry, she has probably not broken into eight figures yet.

growwild

Date Posted: 20.18hrs on Sun 7 Apr 19
That auld boot can be put doon for a lot more expenditure. She fooked the dibble down south only tae blame them for the increase in violence etc on the streets when its been her party, the auld right can only rule through fear and chaos though..

We susy should spent a few million up there pronto, I know guys that work in film and they could put a paper chair up the ciste tae keep the dummy cannons happy while progress is happening on the hill.

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 11.37hrs on Thu 2 May 19
Another subject that came up at the full subscribed HIE/CBP business breakfast in Aviemore on Wednesday 1st May was the snow factory.

HIE and CML ops 2 gave an update that TechnoAlpin were onsite working on the machine. The location is poor both for visual impact from the Daylodge and location in terms of getting snow to where it was intended (i.e. Carpark T-bar uptrack).

As most people will be aware the machine has not run apart from a few hours since back in February. The issue is reportedly fine granite grit (which actually helps nucleate water drops from the fan guns) causing premature ice formation within the snow factory before where it should form.

The generator for the machine was on and technicians were working on it during the day and the snow pipe was set up for production. A check in the evening saw technicians still working on the machine but no sign of any snow coming out, though it did sound as if the machine was powered up and not just the generator running.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11.38hrs Thu 2 May 19 by alan.

Attachments: IMG_0657.JPG (206kB)  
01cookjk

Last Visited: 09:09
6th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.42hrs on Thu 2 May 19
I'm sorry Alan, but im not buying that reason.

If the 'fine granite grit' was the problem, surely the snow factory would have been shut down long before it was. In addition, the trial snow factory should have prompted TechnoAlpin to provide a solution for this new snow factory.

Then theres always the issue of H&S, and I personally believe that is the culprit. If a new door is cut into the bottom of the two containers, then I will know for sure.......

Suilven

Last Visited: 17:50
10th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 21.23hrs on Thu 18 Jun 20
So - 15 million (min), eh?

WeeSam

Last Visited: 00:53
5th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 00.05hrs on Fri 19 Jun 20
A lot of decent ski infrastructure could be installed for £15 million.

PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 20.54hrs on Tue 23 Jun 20
I wonder whether it is possible to measure the whole life efficiency of a ski lift? I could imagine working out the cost to purchase and construct then adding a factor for its running cost each year based on staff costs, power consumption, maintenance, repair and possibly refurbishment. We might also assign a cost for eventual removal.

Against the cost we could subtract an income estimated by the number of lift users assuming a marginal ticket value per ride.

This might tell us that some lifts have provided a really good return on investment. I could imagine the Corrie Cas Tbar, the cairnwell tbar, the sunny side pomas and probably the access chair at Glencoe falling into this category.

On the other side of the equation we have the Cairngorm funicular. Over the last 19 years it will have shifted a lot of people, but at what marginal cost?

PeterS

13th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 18.12hrs on Fri 30 Oct 20
 Had a good mooch around the hill today. Was pleasantly surprised about the condition that the tbars and pomas are in. All four tbar base stations have been freshly painted and all the pylons and top stations look to be in very good condition. All the loading areas look sound and there was quite a bit of newish steel around. The majority of the fencing is in fair to good condition and a lot of work seems to have been done to the tracks which were mostly quite smooth. Also pleased to see that the memorial plaque to Mackenzie and Ferrier is still in position just below the M1 Poma.

PeterS

13th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 18.18hrs on Fri 30 Oct 20
Had a good mooch around the hill today. Was pleasantly surprised about the condition that the tbars and pomas are in. All four tbar base stations have been freshly painted and all the pylons and top stations look to be in very good condition. All the loading areas look sound and there was quite a bit of newish steel around. The majority of the fencing is in fair to good condition and a lot of work seems to have been done to the tracks which were mostly quite smooth. Also pleased to see that the memorial plaque to Mackenzie and Ferrier is still in position just below the M1 Poma.

growwild

Date Posted: 11.48hrs on Sat 31 Oct 20
They should smooth oot all lower down marginal runs they plan on keeping too.

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 00.28hrs on Sat 26 Aug 23
So with immediate effect on Friday afternoon the CairnGorm Funicular is once again out of service and closed.

There are since this evening various press reports now available:
[www.bbc.co.uk]

However, does a company really shut down it's principle attraction for routine snagging work on the Friday afternoon at the start of the biggest summer bank holiday weekend?

winterhighland

Last Visited: 16:13
28th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 19.27hrs on Sat 26 Aug 23
Thunder in the Glen's boycotts CairnGorm Mountain!

Riders will ride up to the end of the public road, turn around and head back down without entering the Cas Carpark in a protest against CML.

[www.strathspey-herald.co.uk]

Susan Smith CEO is quoted as:
CMSL has just invested £750,000 in the upgrading of our car park and we are charging from April to October each year.

The actual situation is that CML invested a round figure of zero, the funding of the carpark works has been undertaken by HIE (around £600k) and CNPA (around £150k).

One could reasonably ask when such funding will be offered to the other 2 ski areas in the national park. While elsewhere in the HIE area given the terrible state of the council adopted Glencoe access road, when some public funds will bring this road up to an acceptable standard of repair?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 19.28hrs Sat 26 Aug 23 by winterhighland.

Current Page:228 of 228
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: