You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:1 of 228
flugeryl

Last Visited: 12:40
11th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
CairnGorm Mtn (Non Conditions Discussion)
Date Posted: 16.34hrs on Sun 2 Dec 07
could those of you who want to bash CML at every turn please do it on this thread as I am sick fed up of trying to find the snow conditions on the "cairngorm snow" thread to be affornted by 100 word essays on marketing and general cairngorm bashing, please keep the threads relevant to their titles so others can easily access the info they are looking for.

[Admin Edit - change title]

Be Nice to Skiers, they have it hard enough already

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 23.55hrs Sun 2 Dec 07 by alan.
growwild

Re: Cairngorm bashing
Date Posted: 17.01hrs on Sun 2 Dec 07
100 word essay?

Thats more a paragraph!
roga

Date Posted: 17.07hrs on Sun 2 Dec 07
Yup it's kinda off topic but there's no Chinese wall between these issues and those pretending there is are IMHO frankly sicking their heads in the sand.

I'm sure some here also get "affronted" by some people's knee jerk defences of CML and their seeming wish to damn and ignore even constructive comment so it works both ways!

I rarely post here these days because even the slightest hint of supposed bashing leads to this sort of stuff... you can take a horse to water and all that...

In truth though life's too short and I don't get "affronted" but it does work both ways smiling smiley
ropetow

Last Visited: 09:08
13th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.19hrs on Sun 2 Dec 07
An excellent idea to have separate forum to ask questions about the ongoing management of Cairngorm.

I'm happy to give anyone the courtesy of explaining things to me before i start ranting.

A few for a start

1. What exactly is the reason that the Ptarmigan webcam can't be moved 45 degrees ?
Is it glued down or fixed some way that can't be moved easily ? Who exactly has the responsibility at CML so i can ask them directly ? When it is facing the Ptarmigan and iced/snowd over - is it impossible to give it a wee scrape twice a day ? Is it too high off the ground to get to the top of the window ?

2. Why didnt the CML website show any vertical ? was it just an oversight ?

3. Who is supposed to make sure that the Ski Scotland website displays the correct info - was it Ski Scotland who got it wrong - or do they only display what they are given by the resorts ?

4. Do the resorts all employ marketing or PR staff ? Who is the person at CML ?
Rather than idly postulate and speculate here - i'd rather speak to the person who can give the official line on these things.
AlTodd

Last Visited: 07:04
28th Apr 2017
Date Posted: 17.52hrs on Sun 2 Dec 07
Ropetow

Why not phone them and ask.............

ps - use it or lose it !!

ropetow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> An excellent idea to have separate forum to ask
> questions about the ongoing management of
> Cairngorm.
>
> I'm happy to give anyone the courtesy of
> explaining things to me before i start ranting.
>
> A few for a start
>
> 1. What exactly is the reason that the Ptarmigan
> webcam can't be moved 45 degrees ?
> Is it glued down or fixed some way that can't be
> moved easily ? Who exactly has the responsibility
> at CML so i can ask them directly ? When it is
> facing the Ptarmigan and iced/snowd over - is it
> impossible to give it a wee scrape twice a day ?
> Is it too high off the ground to get to the top of
> the window ?
>
> 2. Why didnt the CML website show any vertical ?
> was it just an oversight ?
>
> 3. Who is supposed to make sure that the Ski
> Scotland website displays the correct info - was
> it Ski Scotland who got it wrong - or do they only
> display what they are given by the resorts ?
>
> 4. Do the resorts all employ marketing or PR staff
> ? Who is the person at CML ?
> Rather than idly postulate and speculate here -
> i'd rather speak to the person who can give the
> official line on these things.

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Re: CairnGorm Mtn (Non Conditions Discussion)
Date Posted: 23.56hrs on Sun 2 Dec 07
This thread has been renamed and should be used to discuss aspects of CairnGorm that doesn't relate to current conditions and operations. I know there's a fine line there but the thread had reached 20pages by the start of the season!
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 00.05hrs on Mon 3 Dec 07
Just a note on the Ptarmigan T-bars present day capacity (as it came up in the snow thread). The carrier spacing gives an interval of 18s between T-bars and people were usually in place and waiting with more than 12s to spare. This gives 200 T-bars an hour going through the load point which equates to a theoretical capacity of 400.

aandy

Date Posted: 01.33hrs on Mon 3 Dec 07
Ive criticized cairngorm in the past and i'll probably do it again, but fair do's, when the mrs fell today and broke her wrist the ski patrol couldn't have dealt with it better, thanks guys.
cmorrison

Last Visited: 10:36
21st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 11.19hrs on Mon 3 Dec 07
Shh Andy hide these posts, I'm trying to convince my missus to learn to ski bhut her fear of broken bones is stopping her form learning!

Olderalan

Last Visited: 15:23
7th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 13.18hrs on Mon 3 Dec 07
The Ptarmigan Webcam is presently in it's 'Summer' position where it shows an image looking down from the Ptarmigan and over the wider Glenmore/Strathspey area. In the 'Winter' months the camera is physically moved over to the right hand side (as you come in the main door to the restaurant) and shows an image that looks out over the Ptarmigan Bowl. It can therefore provide viewers with a better view of the snow conditions from it's 'Winter' position. For some reason, CML haven't yet moved it to it's 'Winter' position, even though lift served snowsports are now available. I have no idea why they are choosing not to shift it at this time. Perhaps it's something to do with the fact that the reliability of operation is more than suspect (not working today or yesterday) and the company are working on a solution to the problems before moving the camera. More information when I have it.

Regards
Olderalan

roga

Date Posted: 13.42hrs on Mon 3 Dec 07
Thanks for changing the thread title Alan, as it was originally worded it looked designed to wind people up!

Didn't "affront" me tho winking smiley

I've made a few PR suggestions (all 100 words or more - shock!) tongue sticking out smiley in the other thread - any chance they could be moved across here?
Olderalan

7th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 13.47hrs on Mon 3 Dec 07
Ptarmigan Camera is now in it's Winter position but there may still be unresolved issues with refreshing the images.

Regards
Olderalan
rob123

Date Posted: 20.14hrs on Wed 5 Dec 07
webcams still not refreshing , anybody know if any of the base has survived
Olderalan

7th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 21.41hrs on Wed 5 Dec 07
CML have been offered assistance to resolve the problems with their webcams. They may have a solution in hand themselves but these 'issues' have been going on now for over a year.
In reply to the post about the online ticketing (posted in the Cairngorm Snow Thread) The difficulties with the ticketing system were discussed, at length, with the management about 10 months ago. We were assured that their new ticketing system was 'fit for purpose' and capable of handling much more than just the purchase of tickets online (the possibility of equipment hire being moved online was mentioned) As the system is still dysfunctional today then I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions.

Regards
Olderalan
Jamie

Date Posted: 01.55hrs on Thu 6 Dec 07
I'm excited to reveal that it isn't all bad news in relation to CGM's public image:

http://thebogblog.blog.co.uk/2005/07/29/the_highest_toilet_in_the_uk

Very uplifting.
Current Page:1 of 228
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: