You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12345678Next
Current Page:4 of 8
HTH

Last Visited: 11:13
20th Feb 2018
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: Ski Helmets
Date Posted: 10.51hrs on Thu 19 Mar 09
If there is a move to make helmets compulsory, it'll have to be initiated by somebody. - Who would that be?

Don't see it being the UK operators, because they don't currently enforce a helmet policy on their staff who work on the snow.
ali-g

Last Visited: 17:14
11th Apr 2014
Date Posted: 10.53hrs on Thu 19 Mar 09
just caught up on this debate - some previous comments about 'you will be ok if you are aware of your surroundings and have control of speed and line etc etc' astonish me
my worst accident, i was standing still at a chairlift back to the hill when my legs were taken away from me by someone who couldnt stop in time at the lift queue - was concussed and i had my lid on - frightening what would have happened if i didn't
i know what i'm doing out there also but can't rely on others to have those capabilities
how many people get into their car and don't belt up - everyone gets in with the attitude that they are 'controlling' their car within their capabilities etc etc could go on and on
please everyone wear helmets and don't leave it to your kids
and on that cheery note did i mention i have a sale this weekend ......

www.ski-board.co.uk
Toky

Last Visited: 23:36
3rd Mar 2018
Date Posted: 11.02hrs on Thu 19 Mar 09
I would not like to see helmets being made compulsory to over 16s. I understand that if children are taught at an early age to wear helmets, then it becomes part of their way of ski prep.
It's all about choices as well as safety. This is a sad tragic case, especially as it allegedly happened on the nursery slopes. However, if I partake in a sport with an element of risk, then it should be my choice what I wear and how I chose to or not, to protect myself. We are already a nation of folks wrapped up in cotton wool and dictated to by the law. Let us keep some personal choices as I would hate to have to wear a helmet.
Now over to the "For" brigade.
Constantine

Last Visited: 14:40
26th Oct 2012
Date Posted: 11.09hrs on Thu 19 Mar 09
me orders a ski helmet after reading this topic
ColinTheCop

Last Visited: 18:44
16th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 11.12hrs on Thu 19 Mar 09
I've just ordered a Dainese one.

I wanted a matt black but ended up with a shiney silver one, it was a bargain so I bought it.

Just hope I don't look too stupid. sad smiley
cmorrison

Last Visited: 10:36
21st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 11.14hrs on Thu 19 Mar 09
Ali-g sold me a rather nice helmet last christmas. I have to admit though I only wear it on days I'm going off piste or in the park. I know I should wear it all the time but, because I never wear hats, I boil with a beanie on no matter a helmet!
EMCD11

Date Posted: 11.18hrs on Thu 19 Mar 09
LAWS OVER HELMETS

Some skiers and snowboarders resist wearing helmets, complaining they are too hot or muffle sounds, while some fear it encourages risky behaviour by giving a false sense of security.

Sales of helmets in Germany have doubled since a skiing accident in the Austrian resort of Styria in January which left one woman dead and German politician Dieter Althaus seriously injured, his life believed to be saved as he wore a helmet.

Austria, which has recorded about 30 ski-related deaths this season, is now introducing a new law requiring all children under 14 to wear helmets on the slopes.

The Australian Ski Areas Association supports wearing helmets but says the decision is a personal or parental choice as helmets are most effective at providing protection at speeds of under 20 kmph and may not stop or reduce serious injuries at high speeds.

The National Ski Areas Association (NSAA) of the United States estimated 43 percent of skiers and snowboarders wore helmets in the 2007/08 season against 25 percent five years ago.

The NSAA urges skiers and riders to wear a helmet but stresses that people's behaviour on the slopes counts most, with skiing and snowboarding no more dangerous than other high-energy participation sports, with 39 deaths on average a year.

It cited researcher Jason Shealy, who studies ski-related injuries and found recent research indicated helmets cut the incidence of any head injuries by 30 to 50 percent but these were the minor injuries and wearing helmets had not cut fatalities.

"The increase in the use of helmets has not reduced the overall number of skiing fatalities," said the NSAA in a statement. "More than half of the people involved in fatal accidents last season were wearing helmets."

Toky

Last Visited: 23:36
3rd Mar 2018
Date Posted: 11.24hrs on Thu 19 Mar 09
As I said in another thread, helmets will protect against head injuries, but fatal accidents on the mountains are not all head injury related.
What next...........a full suit of armour?
You will have guessed that I don't want to be made to wear a helmet!.
HTH

Last Visited: 11:13
20th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 11.32hrs on Thu 19 Mar 09
Although I posted above about who could initiate & enforce a law about helmets, and the ski centres lack of practice on this topic...I must admit to wearing a helmet almost always.

Fortunately it's quite comfy, with adjustable air vents, and I now feel naked without it!

Having come into skiing after years of other mountain pursuits, I find it odd how little protection is used generally on slopes. I think walkers & climbers have (generally speaking) more culture of awareness of hazards on mountains. But even on a hard icy piste, or thin run with rocks exposed, you can still give your head a bang with a simple slip. How far & fast would you slide after a simple slip on routine Red piste with boiler plate ice?

The backcountry community are a bit more aware, but even Scottish pisted runs can present hazards...and as mentioned by Ali-G, other folk who will take you down even when you're standing still.
DaveF

Last Visited: 23:37
18th Dec 2015
Date Posted: 12.00hrs on Thu 19 Mar 09
Certainly the way Natasha’s accident was described ie falling over at low speeds on a green run does make you think. My wife and kids all wear helmets and several of the party I was away with last week do. In fact one of the women last week had a low speed fall on a blue run resulting in a bang to the head. Despite wearing a helmet she felt quite shaken by the experience.

I nearly bought a Giro G10 before I went away but cancelled the order when they couldn’t deliver in time. Wasn’t sure whether I’d actually wear it because I like the freedom of no headgear. Oddly enough I wouldn’t dream of not wearing a helmet for cycling or climbing but somehow skiing seems different. The times I feel most vulnerable, despite my hill walking and climbing background is actually on piste rather than off piste or touring. However Natasha’s accident might cause me to reconsider. Certainly wouldn’t want to see legislation demanding it.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 12.23hrs Thu 19 Mar 09 by DaveF.
malks

Last Visited: 16:49
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 12.10hrs on Thu 19 Mar 09
the whole helmet debate is a strange one for me. i own a motorbike and mountain bike. the mountain bike i always wear my lid when i'm out on it, but will still only wear a t-shirt and shorts. my motorbike, i will never ride unless in full leathers.

but snowboarding, i dont wear a helmet. i wear impact shorts all the time, infact feel naked without them. but i bought a lid over a year ago and never used it (apart from freestyle at xscape) and ended up selling it. but last month i bought me a new lid and i'm determined to start wearing it.

i just dont know why i feel safe bombing about on my board without a lid, but on my bikes i'm usually geared up!?!?
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 12.18hrs on Thu 19 Mar 09
The evidence does not in anyway support the mandating of helmets in snowsports. Of course Helmet manufactures will lobby otherwise, but hard facts over emotive guff should decide this one. The risk is exceptionally small and you are more likely to die in a fatal accident on the way to the slopes.
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 12.22hrs on Thu 19 Mar 09
Quote:
"More than half of the people involved in fatal accidents last season were wearing helmets."

Yet less than half the skiers and boarders in the US wear helmets.....
DaveF

Last Visited: 23:37
18th Dec 2015
Date Posted: 12.27hrs on Thu 19 Mar 09
Also interesting to note that with the exception of some boarding instructors I've not noticed any ski instructor in the Alps or Scotland wearing a helmet.
Fiona

Last Visited: 11:20
12th Apr 2016
Date Posted: 12.32hrs on Thu 19 Mar 09
I bought a helmet in 2004 and always wear it for piste skiing/boarding. I also use it for most ski tours too. It's warm, comfy and stops my goggles misting up.

Prior to getting one I'd never hit my head skiing but I didn't go very fast or on bumpy stuff as I was still learning. Since I started wearing one I've walloped my head a few times, once where I'm certain I'd have been knocked out without it as even with the helmet my head was v. sore and I felt sick for the rest of that day.

I don't think I take any more risks with the helmet on but I do ski faster these days (because I progressed beyond beginner and nothing to do with the helmet) and I also learned to board which involved lots of slow speed crashes, face plants, going over backwards etc.

It's also saved me from a couple of lift incidents including the good old muppet lets go of button/t-bar and person in front (me) gets walloped by button/bar.

Personally I think you're mad to ski on a piste without one but everyone should be free to make their own choices.
Goto Page:  Previous12345678Next
Current Page:4 of 8
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: