You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12345678Next
Current Page:7 of 8
johndubonblackberry

Re: Ski Helmets
Date Posted: 19.01hrs on Tue 24 Mar 09

Xscape to day was awash with helmets. Even the coaches were wearing them oncluding me. Sweaty head yes but reality bites..
Andy

Last Visited: 08:47
2nd May 2019
Date Posted: 11.09hrs on Thu 26 Mar 09
interesting article.
[www.ski-injury.com]

1 death for every 1.49million ski visits!... Driving there seems more risky to me - however as i now have a kid i'm considering one for next season, perhaps one that i can use climbing and cycling.
naefearjustbeer

Last Visited: 23:28
22nd Nov 2015
Date Posted: 12.19hrs on Thu 26 Mar 09
I just managed to slam the car boot lid on my head!! Lots of big swearwords were muttered!!! You know what I had in my hand at the time? My helmet I wear when out cycling!! BAH!!! Talk about unlucky.
HTH

Last Visited: 11:13
20th Feb 2018
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 12.32hrs on Thu 26 Mar 09
Join the club. - I once fell out of an easy gully unroped, and had my landing impact fortunately absorbed by my pack...which included a ROPE and HELMET!

I bet you could write a book of true tales about unused safety eqpt.
moffatrossnotloggedon

Date Posted: 13.04hrs on Thu 26 Mar 09
HTH, I well remember getting twotted across the eyebrow by a helmet that swung around from my backpack when we stopped after skinning up the Sunnyside in November. tongue sticking out smiley
Toky

Last Visited: 23:36
3rd Mar 2018
Date Posted: 14.02hrs on Thu 26 Mar 09
Depends what you want to see "johndubonblackberry". I was there on Tuesday and yes there were a few beginners with helmets on, and a couple of older guys getting snowboard lessons were wearing them but there were lots of others who remained "helmetless". It's still a wide open poll on should we or shouldn't we.
flugeryl

Last Visited: 12:40
11th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 15.59hrs on Thu 26 Mar 09
Andy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> interesting article.
>
>
> 1 death for every 1.49million ski visits!...
> Driving there seems more risky to me - however as
> i now have a kid i'm considering one for next
> season, perhaps one that i can use climbing and
> cycling.

fortunately not all head injury's result in death...otherwise the human race wouldn't be here...however unfortunately other serious effects of traumatic head injury can lead to very big problems for the injured and their family

head injuries that dont cause death are very serious incidents not to be underestimated.

Be Nice to Skiers, they have it hard enough already
Andy

Last Visited: 08:47
2nd May 2019
Date Posted: 16.10hrs on Thu 26 Mar 09
"fortunately not all head injury's result in death...otherwise the human race wouldn't be here:

Indeed, i've been hit by a golf club, golf ball and someone split my head open with a large stone...all before i was 10 years old!.

I was thinking of buying a helmet after skiing at glencoe last week....was looking at all the jaggy rocks that i could hit given a fall.
naefearjustbeer

Last Visited: 23:28
22nd Nov 2015
Date Posted: 22.14hrs on Thu 26 Mar 09
I have seen first hand the devastating effects of non fatal head injuries, Many years ago my brother fell through a barn roof and fractured his skull and one of my friends was thrown out of a speeding car and smashed his skull in. Another friend crashed a motorbike and landed on his head and swallowed his tongue if it were not for the quick actions of another on the scene he would of died of oxygen starvation never mind the brain damage from the impact. All were touch and go cases. My brother had to learn to talk and walk and eat when he came out of his coma. It was almost comedic looking back watching him eat bananas with the skins on when we all knew that he didnt like bananas. The stubborn little bugger would not listen to anyone when we told him and did things he did it all his way all the way through his recovery! I am glad I wasnt his doctor,nurse, speech therapist or physio. It was difficult enough for us all at home trying to deal it.
Even now almost 20 years on the long term affects are still affecting them all however they have all made amazing recoveries considering what happened. I too was a passenger in the speeding car that nearly killed my mate we were both thrown out when the car span out on a corner at almost 100mph (back in the day before all cars had rear seatbelts) He landed on the road I landed in somebodies vegetable patch. I walked away with a ripped jacket. He didnt walk away I found him lying in the road with blood running out of his head and convulsing. It was a good job it was right outside someone's house and less than a mile from the ambulance station. I wouldnt wish it on anyone but I can say that no matter how bad the injury the human bodies has amazing powers of recovery and my brother and my mates are living relatively normal lives. However all 3 could of dead or spent life as a vegetable. So I will wear my helmet and so will my family. The rest of you can do whatever you want but I would never suggest making it law to wear a helmet. I defend your rights to be able to make your own decisions on the subject.
Snowweasel

Last Visited: 11:14
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 09.39hrs on Mon 30 Mar 09
I'm really against making helmets compulsory, however since I always wear one cycling to work, I guess its time to buy one for my skiing.
It will please Mrs Snowweasel, too, who regards all ski slopes as the devils work and full of maniacs !
That said, any recommendations on brands/types to buy?

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 17.28hrs on Wed 1 Apr 09
Group campaigning for making helmets mandatory in Scotland:

[www.strathspey-herald.co.uk]

So let me get this right, we'll make helmets compulsory for children because an adult died in a ski accident where a helmet may or may not have made a difference?
moffatross

Date Posted: 17.47hrs on Wed 1 Apr 09
It's reactionary, do-goody crap that Alex Salmond is sadly quite likely to go along with, having already proved himself as the chief whip of the nanny state in Scotland.

Because children are actually pretty good at making their own judgements on this sort of thing, in my experience, most of them would rather wear helmets than not anyway. I can definitely understand that ski schools would require young learners to wear helmets because of insurance requirements and it's insurance companies sadly that are likely to be the reason why helmets will become compulsory rather than because of any law (except Salmond). I can see the day in the not too distant future when snowsports insurance for overseas travel requires helmets to be worn on penalty of a 'head injury' clause if not.

On a moral and safety ground though, there is no more justification for people (young or old) to be forced to wear helmets on the snow than there is when skateboarding or cycling and a legal enforcement would be a sad thing. Don't go along with it Mr Salmond !!

As you know though Alan, I am a lidhead myself and so are my children so although I'd hate to see it pass into compulsion, I still don't understand why you are so determined to put up frivolous arguments against their benefits. smiling smiley
alan

27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 18.13hrs on Wed 1 Apr 09
Certainly I am beginning to wonder if the increasing use of lids and to a degree other personal safety equipment on the slopes is actually fuelling a culture of not giving a damn about the safety of other hill users.

Are we approaching the point where technological improvement and increased safety equipment no longer continues the trend of reducing accidents in snowsports but actually starts to increase them?
flugeryl

Last Visited: 12:40
11th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 18.24hrs on Wed 1 Apr 09
dont see the logic of snowsports enthusiasts who use/wear safety equipment then not giving a damn about others...Its just not true

I wear a helmet, use a leash and wear impact shorts on the odd occasion..but it doesnt make me reckless and more dangerous on the slopes

the more I think about it the more I think your logic is flawed

Be Nice to Skiers, they have it hard enough already
alan

27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 18.27hrs on Wed 1 Apr 09
Are you seriously saying that there aren't reckless slope users in the snowsports world, or that there are people who only give a damn about their own well being on the slopes? Of course it doesn't apply to everyone, but it certainly applies to some.
Goto Page:  Previous12345678Next
Current Page:7 of 8
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: