You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12345678Next
Current Page:2 of 8
naefearjustbeer

Last Visited: 23:28
22nd Nov 2015
Re: Ski Helmets
Date Posted: 11.34hrs on Tue 27 Jan 09
I wear a helmet for snowboarding and have done from my second lesson onwards. I caught me heel edge in the ptarmigan bowl and flipped backwards and took the the landing on my shoulders and neck and my head then swung back and dunted off of the icy piste, I saw stars and it took me a few minutes to be able to get up. Right beside me was a rocky bit and I thought that if I had landed on that it would of been mincemeat for me! As it was I had an aching neck/back for about 3 weeks. It could of been worse. I wear a helmet for kayaking and motorcycling and that is second nature to put it on, But when I go for my pushbike I quite often forget it, I am trying to get better at remembering it but I find it funny that I always rember my helmet for my other activities. As for enforcing it in law i dont think that is the way to go. I am all for personal freedom of choice.
fraser

Date Posted: 11.37hrs on Tue 27 Jan 09
Started wearing one when at Mont Tremblant - it was compulsary if you wanted to do the park and since I had knocked myself out cold on a boardercross park the previous week - I shelled out.I think its reasonable - now I am used to it its far warmer than a bunnet - and the kids dont argue anymore.
telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 11.47hrs on Tue 27 Jan 09
I wear one, and has saved me from a sore head from a poma swinging out at top of M1
I find them much warmer to wear on a windy day than a hat too

Our tele ski instructors were saying there was an argument that a skid-lid can increase the chance of whiplash injuries, due to the extra weight on the head, but i havent heard anyone else argue that
naefearjustbeer

22nd Nov 2015
Date Posted: 12.01hrs on Tue 27 Jan 09
I can see how that may happen if your helmet was particularly heavy however I think I would prefer a bit of whip lash than a split skull!! My helmet is not that heavy and I think it is the best that money can buy. [www.sweetprotection.com]
What price to you put on staying alive and preventing brain damage?
Simon Ellis

Date Posted: 12.48hrs on Tue 27 Jan 09
Dr Mike's site sums it up for me - good idea, but they don't make you invincible

[www.ski-injury.com]
Nick S

Date Posted: 13.01hrs on Tue 27 Jan 09
Ever since putting my head through a drift fence a Glenshee as result of the less than lovely 'marbles' of ice/snow, I've have worn a helmet.

In many ways if you ski/board in Scotland its essential given the thin cover over rocks and the ubiquitous fences.

Since the helmet I've now also invested in impact pants, knee pads and a back protector (I'm a boarder) essentially for the same reason of hidden rocks... and thats without going off-piste.

As for under-14's being targetted, I would assume that they are too young to make their own risk assessment and the younger kids skulls won't have reached full strength yet.
kevinboyle82

Last Visited: 14:25
6th Jun 2016
Date Posted: 13.41hrs on Tue 27 Jan 09
I wear a helmet, mostly because I tend to spend alot of time on my arse and you feel a bit vunerable. Also I smacked my head really hard on some ice and would have really hurt myself without the skid lid

Date Posted: 17.00hrs on Tue 27 Jan 09
Simon Ellis wrote

'good idea, but they don't make you invincible'

you don't need to be a genius to work that out do you!!!!
Simon Ellis

Date Posted: 17.45hrs on Tue 27 Jan 09
Guest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Simon Ellis wrote
>
> 'good idea, but they don't make you invincible'
>
> you don't need to be a genius to work that out do
> you!!!!

To quote 'The take home message is that the majority of those who currently wear helmets are a defined group of younger, male and more aggressive skiers – the group well known to be at high risk of injury anyway. Many of the high speed impacts with solid objects lead to multiple injuries that no helmet could prevent or reduce. The wearing of a helmet should not be viewed as a panacea against fatal injury and should not give the wearer a false sense of security.'
davidt

Last Visited: 12:41
19th Apr 2020
Date Posted: 18.04hrs on Tue 27 Jan 09
Guest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Simon Ellis wrote
>
> 'good idea, but they don't make you invincible'
>
> you don't need to be a genius to work that out do
> you!!!!

But they do make people feel safer -- and they may then take more risks, perhaps getting more seriously injured as a result.

David
naefearjustbeer

22nd Nov 2015
Date Posted: 19.11hrs on Tue 27 Jan 09
What about the slightly older slower and wobbly males who have trouble staying upright??
I definitely feel safer in mine but it doesnt encourage me to try stupid stuff, I know all to well the rest of my body is fairly breakable too.
HTH

Last Visited: 11:13
20th Feb 2018
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 09.13hrs on Wed 28 Jan 09
^^ Yup, that's pretty much my take on it. The helmet does make me feel safer, because it's true that I am safer with it on!. - But it doesn't make me reckless.

Telemarker rightly mentions the fact that there are lots of things that can go bump aff yer heid!. - Most members of public think climbers wear helmets to protect a fall. But in fact the more frequent risk is falling ice from your leader above, or loose stones etc. So a helmet can protect from a wide range of impacts.

I think a good-fitting helmet is an asset worth having. - I will admit to not wearing it 100% of the time, because some trips you judge the hazards won't justify it. Just like I sometimes cycle without a bike helmet in summer if it's nice weather & an easy ride.

Although I think a helmet is adviseable on ski/board, I don't think I've ever been bothered about whether somebody else ought to wear one. - Think there is a stronger case for helmets sports like cycling, but skiing/boarding could surely be left as "advisory" rather than obligatory.
actionslax

Last Visited: 06:34
7th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 13.29hrs on Wed 28 Jan 09
It's interesting reading and taking note of all the people on hear who do wear helmuts.

I don't wear a helmut (used to when i was slalom (ski) racing back in the ole days!) but I would wear if I was hitting some of the bigger park jumps. I think for me it comes down to experience of riding, snow awarness, spacial awarenes, quickly analysing the area around you. Whether that be the conditions of the snow, type of terrain or knowing what type of other people/riders/punters are around you.

I was having a chat earlier this morning with a guy in my office discussing helmts and told him this very thing but said that it would be good for his inexperienced son of 18 years should wear a helmut.

I do however wear a helmut immediatley I leave the door if I'm heading out on my bike and am amazed when I see people without one!

slax

bugmonkey

Date Posted: 18.22hrs on Wed 28 Jan 09
I started wearing a helmet a couple of years ago after seeing my brother catch a heel edge and smack his head off some ice. I'm sure that it's saved me from a painful injury at least a few times.

I guess if they make them mandatory for under 14s then as time goes on more and more adults will also be wearing them. If you started learning with a helmet you'll probably keep wearing one.
Skiborah

Last Visited: 12:23
2nd Mar 2009
Date Posted: 18.47hrs on Wed 28 Jan 09
I bought a helmet last year and now wouldn't leave the house to go skiing without it - even forgetting the safety I find mine warmer than a hat! You can't even have the arguement of helmets not looking very nice as there are some very cool ones available.

It does make me feel safer and a more confident skier but not to the point that I am reckless. One of the main reasons I bought one was not to protect me from myself but from others.

I am fairly sure school groups who go up Nevis Range are now required to wear a helemt - something which wasn't happening when I was learning. Instead of just a blanket rule of people wearing a helmet when they are under 14 how about different regulations like if they're learning in the ski schools?
Goto Page:  Previous12345678Next
Current Page:2 of 8
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: