You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12345678Next
Current Page:3 of 8
Jamieb1234

Last Visited: 02:30
20th May 2012
Re: Ski Helmets
Date Posted: 18.58hrs on Wed 28 Jan 09
If your gonna wear a hat it might as well be a helmet if you ask me! Pisted runs are pretty hard anyway so an akward fall on that, even if its not so fast, can even do you some damage.

Sounds like a good idea to make it compulsory for kids thought, even if in this case in Austria the punishment dont fit the crime...if you see what i mean...
h11lly

Last Visited: 18:38
2nd Sep 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 19.08hrs on Wed 28 Jan 09
I only started wearing a cycle helmet after I went over the handlebars ...and was lucky !

Never really thought much about a ski helmet as I'm not a daredevil skier but was encouraged by others who do wear them, to think about wearing one.

I bought one last spring and I love it mainly because it's so much cosier than a hat and gives more freedom than a hood over a hat in foul weather. Having said that mine's a Giro with closeable vents. I once left them open and nearly froze !
Some ski helments have vents that are always open....avoid them if like me you feel the cold !

Helen
johnDUB

Last Visited: 12:29
28th Feb 2013
Date Posted: 19.50hrs on Wed 28 Jan 09
I have a salomon race one and i bought mine mainly because i took a bad spill on the ciste fairway, and even though wearing a yellow and grey north face jacket, still got hit by a numpty, so rather than send time in a&e. I bought one. Suprisingly warm around the ears, though apparently on other forums, it's deemed uncool to wear sunglasses with them. Bugger that! lol

You bet your moms tidy ass it is!
hamish_hebridean

Last Visited: 16:09
16th Mar 2009
Date Posted: 20.20hrs on Wed 28 Jan 09
Ski in Austria every year, and we have had two of our party in three years end up with fractured skulls. Welcome this - would personally never ski without one. It is not so much about what I do, but more about what someone might do to me. I have narrowly missed headbutting a few rocks on the flypaper myself. The rocks being another reason when skiing in Scotland if you take a tumble or someone else does and catches you.

In fact reading some of the posts about 'Glencoe Snow', it was quite enlightening to see the attitude of some of the skiers that I share the piste with as Glencoe is usually my place of choice in Scotland.

I had the misfortune to see someone in Austria killed about five or six years ago more or less in front of me. A skier came around a tight and steep bend and lost his edge. He went down. As he was getting back to his feet, a boarder came over the lip of the same bend to jump and cut the corner. The skier took the full impact of the boarder's knee right on the side of his head. His skull had literally caved in. A really sobering sight. Wrong place - wrong time!

At the end of the day, you can argue that kids under fourteen are not able to make informed choices, and their skulls are more likely to be vulverable. It might not save everyone's lives, but it will certainly save some.

To be fair if you get a good helmet, you won't even realise you are wearing it.

scotty

Last Visited: 22:42
19th Apr 2014
Date Posted: 20.28hrs on Wed 28 Jan 09
If one was to go out and look at helmets, is there anything that should be looked at in particular or avoided like the plague?
paisleyboarder

Last Visited: 19:44
15th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 20.33hrs on Wed 28 Jan 09
scotty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If one was to go out and look at helmets, is there
> anything that should be looked at in particular or
> avoided like the plague?

Just don't end up looking like this dude.

[www.backcountryoutlet.com]

naefearjustbeer

Last Visited: 23:28
22nd Nov 2015
Date Posted: 20.56hrs on Wed 28 Jan 09
scotty Wrote:
> If one was to go out and look at helmets, is there
> anything that should be looked at in particular or
> avoided like the plague?

Try on lots off different ones and get one that fits your head shape. It has to be comfortable and a fairly snug fit. You do not want a helmet that is loose and moves around as it may not protect you very well.

Bluthistle

Last Visited: 09:05
9th Mar 2019
Date Posted: 21.15hrs on Wed 28 Jan 09
Wearing a lid is good sense. I have been knocked on the bonce a few times by skis on other peoples shoulders, knocked myself out from stupid wipeouts and been hit by loose t-bars getting whipped back into the springs - ok mostly my fault but my wee brain just cannae handle any more.

The more people wearing lids the less daft i look (hopefully).

braw.
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 21.32hrs on Wed 28 Jan 09
You hear an awful lot of tales of people buying lids for the first time, then reporting that it was just as well cause since they got they've smacked their lid of the snow, poma bars, safety bars, skis... Think about it winking smiley
JC

Last Visited: 12:22
27th Feb 2024
What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 21.42hrs on Wed 28 Jan 09
Indeed. Got my helmet at the start of last season and wouldn't ski without one now. In fact the other week in the Alps I got caught hard getting on a fast chair which threw me back into it, smacking the back of my head off the safety bar. If I hadn't had a helmet on pretty sure I would have been knocked out and probably a fractured skull.
They're also a lot warmer than hats winking smiley

mlsgraham

Last Visited: 03:07
24th Jun 2016
Date Posted: 21.44hrs on Wed 28 Jan 09
Aye I bought one this year before going to Vermont where I decided to do a few tree runs and park runs for the first time. Came in useful a fair few times but I also don't think I'd have had the confidence to do those runs if I wasnae wearing the helmet.

Good investment even if you don't "use" it.
moffatross

Date Posted: 21.54hrs on Wed 28 Jan 09
alan Wrote:
> You hear an awful lot of tales of people buying
> lids for the first time, then reporting that it
> was just as well cause since they got they've
> smacked their lid of the snow, poma bars, safety
> bars, skis... Think about it

Yes, thought about it and ignored it but then again I know you're not a lid advocate for some reason. I use a helmet and I've never had crack on the head so have yet to vouch for their efficacy. On the other hand, I'd feel stupid if I wasn't wearing mine but wouldn't push to make them mandatory. It's up to you if you'd rather trust the intactness of your skull to a wooly hat, natural selection and all that. winking smiley smiling smiley

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21.55hrs Wed 28 Jan 09 by moffatross.
hamish_hebridean

Last Visited: 16:09
16th Mar 2009
Date Posted: 08.43hrs on Thu 29 Jan 09
I use a Giro 9, might be a 10, but they are really light, warm (although you can remove vents) and as I said - you don't know you are wearing it. Would highly recommens that model. Was about £100 about thre years ago.
EMCD11

Date Posted: 10.30hrs on Thu 19 Mar 09
Thought i would bring this thread back into play after the death of Natasha Richardson.
Helmets Yes or No??
I dont think it will be long now before its compulsory to wear a helmet when you purchase a ski pass.
Any thoughts!!
remote_patrol

Last Visited: 22:53
20th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 10.50hrs on Thu 19 Mar 09
been wearing one the last couple of seasons (basically when i starting hitting kickers/rails), took a while to find a comfy one (got a RED trace), but now i'm used to it, don't even realise i'm wearing it. probbaly saved me from a couple of nasty knocks too (although i had more pre-helmet...). ocassionally skip it if i'm having an easy day in the sunshine, but otherwise love it.

as for legislation though, unless the issue of liability for the ski centres comes up, i think it's should be the individuals lookout. save the rules for protecting other slope users, if i want to risk whacking my brain on a rock then that's my choice smiling smiley

Goto Page:  Previous12345678Next
Current Page:3 of 8
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: