You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Lionel

Last Visited: 01:15
26th Nov 2017
Abondance ski resort in Portes du Soleil is reopening after two years
Date Posted: 22.53hrs on Sat 19 Sep 09
Here are some news from Abondance ski resort in the Portes du Soleil, very close to my place. The resort shut down two years ago and now it will reopen for Christmas 2009.

Quote:

Abondance ski resort is reopening after two years

Anyone familiar with the Portes du Soleil and Chablais mountains will know that two years ago Abondance ski resort closed after the local council withdrew funding. There have been rumours of links with Drouzin le Mont and outside developers taking over the running of Abondance. Well the ski resort’s future is secure for the next 12 years at least.

The American entrepreneur Gregory Lynn (aka Woody) Sherwood has done a deal with the local mayor to develop and run the ski resort for the next 12 years under a new company called Abondance Ski Valley (SVA). Rumours are that Woody Sherwood wants to use Abondance ski resort to demonstrate the effectiveness of his new design of snow cannon that can operate in conditions several degrees warmer than anything else on the market.

At present it is unclear whether Abondance Ski Valley (SVA) will continue to have a nominal link with the Portes du Soleil. Nor has there been any comment on a possible link with Drouzin le Mont ski resort.

Abondance, Drouzin le Mont and Saint Jean d’Aulps Roc d’Enfer Ski resorts are three of the satellite resorts to the Portes du Soleil that make a great ski (or snowboard) safari. A different resort every day, ideal to get your ski legs developed or back at a fraction of the price you pay for a Portes du Soleil pass.

alan

Last Visited: 22:07
16th Apr 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: Abondance ski resort in Portes du Soleil is reopening after two years
Date Posted: 23.15hrs on Sat 19 Sep 09
Maybe this guys new Ski Resort needs a Scottish twin ! winking smiley
Lionel

26th Nov 2017
Date Posted: 17.58hrs on Sun 20 Sep 09
And which could be the Scottish twin ?
alan

Last Visited: 22:07
16th Apr 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 21.46hrs on Sun 20 Sep 09
I heard a rumour Glencoe was for sale.....
Lionel

26th Nov 2017
Date Posted: 12.08hrs on Mon 21 Sep 09
Yes the American entrepreneur could buy Glencoe and fit the resort with his new design of snow cannons.

I will be going to ski in Abondance to support the resort and to celebrate the reopening.
headnip

Last Visited: 07:32
26th May 2016
Date Posted: 00.12hrs on Wed 23 Sep 09
hey lionel hi
thats great news i stayed in Abondance last year and it was a real shame to have to walk past the resort as our little chalet was practically next door!
Especially as there was banks of snow everywhere in the middle of march.Should also be good for local business
We signed the petition calling for the local council to reconsider the closure
Just hope the chalet keeps its prices the same as last year!and maybe meet for a pernod all the best

Lionel

26th Nov 2017
Date Posted: 08.32hrs on Wed 23 Sep 09
Hi Headnip,

Thanks for your message. It's good to see that a small resort like Abondance is also known in Great Britain. If you come back to Abondance this year, you will be able to ski on the Essert area, just nearby the chalet where you stay. And you are welcome to meet for a Pernod or an "Eau de Vie" and also for some skiing or snowboarding if you wish.

Greetings from the Alps,

Lionel
pfairbrother

Last Visited: 12:11
27th Nov 2017
What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 10.17hrs on Wed 23 Sep 09
Lionel - have they announced a date for the opening day of the season yet? I'm sure you'll be posting up some photos. I hope that I will get to ski there when I visit the Portes du Soleil. ;-)
Lionel

26th Nov 2017
Date Posted: 21.04hrs on Wed 23 Sep 09
Paul, they have announced the date of opening for Christmas 2009 (so it might be around December 19th).

Of course, I will be posting some pictures and when you visit the Portes du Soleil, I will take you there.

I will try to support this resort and I hope many people will do it.

On the picture, the mountain on the background is the Pic de la Corne, a place where I go ski-touring.

tc

Last Visited: 15:24
2nd Feb 2014
Date Posted: 19.42hrs on Fri 25 Sep 09
hi Lionel
Hope you are well. might be stopping in chatel this winter at the campe site in linga in our new motorhome not sure when. Is there a ski bus to abondance from chatel that you no off.
many thanks Terry
Lionel

26th Nov 2017
Date Posted: 22.23hrs on Fri 25 Sep 09
Hi Terry,

It's really good to hear from you. I hope you'll be able to come over to the Alps and I must know in advance when you plan to be in Chatel. If there is no ski bus from Chatel to Abondance, then it will be a pleasure for me to give you a lift. But I will enquire about it. Normally there should be a ski bus as Abondance is part of the Portes du Soleil area. Hope to see you next winter. Will you be coming over with your family ?

Greetings from the Alps,

Lionel
tc

2nd Feb 2014
Date Posted: 09.01hrs on Sat 26 Sep 09
HI Lionel
Have skied the Portes du Soleil area many times but sadly not as many as you . Never been to Abondance AND do not not no chatel area very well me and a mate all most had to stay the night at chatel on my 2nd ever week off skiing on my 3rd day having a beer in torgan i think its called at 3.30 in the afternoon we only just made the lift so i never stay to long in chatel .Will be coming with my family my wife and my 3 lads 11,13 and 20 my oldest mite bring this girl friend as well the only thing that might be putting me off are the runs my wife is not keen on the reds (or the blues and the greens lol) there is a lot off red in chatel what are the reds like and the blues as well .also do you ever drive back to the uk just trying to find out the cost off the tolls.

Many Thanks Terry
Lionel

26th Nov 2017
Date Posted: 21.36hrs on Sat 26 Sep 09
Hi Terry !

The resort you had a beer is Torgon, on the other side of La Chapelle d'Abondance.

In Chatel you will also find plenty of easy runs for your wife on the Morclan side or even at Pré La Joux and Cornebois (Linga has more red runs than blue ones). The red runs are quite challenging but the blue runs are very easy so it should be OK.

However Abondance is a great place for beginners and intermediate skiers.

Click on this link to watch the Chatel piste map :

[cache.skiinfo.com]

I hope there is a ski-bus from Chatel to Abondance because if there are 6 of you, I won't be able to give you a lift in my wee Ford Fiesta. LOL

I never drive from France to the UK so I can't tell you about the costs of the tolls. But you should be able to find out on the internet if you use those itinerary websites like the Michelin one. It finds out your itinerary from one place to another and it calculates the cost of the motorway and petrol. I am sure you can find one of those websites.

I hope all of this will help you Terry.

Greetings from the Alps,

Lionel

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21.38hrs Sat 26 Sep 09 by Lionel.
Lionel

26th Nov 2017
Date Posted: 21.44hrs on Sat 26 Sep 09
The reopening of the Abondance resort is even mentioned down under in a New Zealander newspaper, the Southland Times. The article is titled : "Finally, Abondance ski area to reopen". You can read it here :

[www.stuff.co.nz]
tc

2nd Feb 2014
Date Posted: 16.24hrs on Sun 27 Sep 09
HI Lionel
Thanks for that info feel a bit better now about the runs for my wife have found the info i need about the tolls its about £90 each way for my motorhome it is 25 foot long so not to bad. Do you live in the morzine area and what job you do you have .
Many Thanks Terry
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: