You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
shootingmike

Last Visited: 21:41
16th Feb 2016
Accomodation suggestions - Glenshee
Date Posted: 12.45hrs on Tue 17 Nov 09
Can anyone suggest somewhere to stay near Glenshee for a 2 night ski break.

It'd be for 2 adults and 1 kid.

I've seen some places online but they look like they've been frozen in 1973!
HTH

Last Visited: 11:13
20th Feb 2018
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: Accomodation suggestions - Glenshee
Date Posted: 13.58hrs on Tue 17 Nov 09

Yes, it can be like that! - I stay within 1hr of Glenshee, and if I do stay up there it's usually a week's rented cottage at Braemar area.

On way up to Glenshee, I've often wondered if this place is a nice to stay at, as it looks: [bridgeofcallyhotel.com] Food is good, I know that much. smiling smiley

There is the Spittal of Glenshee. I've never stayed, and I know there's been a wide spectrum of opinions about it. - I can't say either way.

Another place I've fancied is this, but it's pricey! [www.dalmunzie.com]

If you stay south of Glenshee (Blairgowrie/Bridge-of-Cally) then you have the option to cut across to the A9 for Cairngorm, if necessary.

If you stay north of Glenshee (Braemar/Ballater) then you have the option of Lecht if necessary.

Another factor to consider, is that (sadly) the road clearing is almost ALWAYS faster on the north side if there is overnight snow. - The Braemar/Ballater side is always the first side to open up for traffic.

There's more, I'm sure...
archie

Last Visited: 21:52
16th Feb 2011
Date Posted: 14.04hrs on Tue 17 Nov 09
Depends on what kind of accommodation you are looking for, closest is Spittal of Glenshee hotel it was taken over recently and has very mixed view on trip advisor and it is very dated. Also at Spittal of Glenshee is Gulabin Lodge and Dalmunzie House Hotel. There is also B&Bs further down the glen also should be something at Kirkmichael. The Bridge of Cally Hotel was done up a couple of years ago and seems popular, other than that its Braemar of Blairgowrie.
HTH

Last Visited: 11:13
20th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 14.20hrs on Tue 17 Nov 09

Yes I forgot Gulabin:- [www.ski-glenshee.co.uk]

There are a few other links under the *Apres-Ski* tab on the same web-page.

remote_patrol

Last Visited: 22:53
20th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.23hrs on Tue 17 Nov 09
blairgowrie wise, the ivy bank guesthouse is a pretty good b&b, royal hotel also not bad (really good food) but has a slightly brigadoon vibe. the angus hotel has a swimming pool/sauna etc, but don't think the rooms are so hot, also a bit of 1970's timewarp going on there. there's also some log cabin style self catering lodges in blair if that's more your bag, cant find a link for those though.

[www.ivybank-guest-house.co.uk]
[www.theroyalhotel.org.uk]
[www.theangushotel.com]

there certainly more stuff to do in blair pub and restuarant wise than in braemar, but braemar will put you much closer (~10-15mins?) and give you the lecht close by too. and as hth says, the southside road can be a nightmare if it snows.
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 16.05hrs on Tue 17 Nov 09
The Spittal hotel is a bit 'dated', that said I stayed it in May and paid £19 for an en-suite room for the night. It was basic, but warm and clean, and had a decent shower and a basic continental breakfast is included in the price or you can upgrade to a full cooked breakfast.

Depends what your looking for really, but you'll cab pay 2 or 3 times more than that and get a lot worse!

Echo the comments about the road, it's less likely to close and likely to open quicker from the North side (ie Braemar end) than the southern approach.
inchhighj

Last Visited: 21:52
14th Feb 2014
Date Posted: 23.13hrs on Mon 30 Nov 09
the braemar lodge hotel has some log cabins that me an the good lady have stayed in a few times and made a weekend of it when the road conditions have been a little sketchy, and thats us coming from glasgow heading further north. we were 50 a night for both of us total(which would be normal B&B price anyways) they have nearly alwways got vacancies on short notice from my experience, although you need to make sure you get enough "free" pound coins off of the landlady for the electric heater meter or have plenty of your own, as theres not many places well in fact none that u can get change there in the middle of the night, found that out the hard way brrrrr....
Isla

Last Visited: 21:28
30th Dec 2009
Date Posted: 12.45hrs on Sat 19 Dec 09
The Meikleour Inn is very good for food and it has some acomodation but possibly more than you would want to spend. Only 30 miles from Glenshee as well. Or there's the Red House in Coupar Angus, about the same distance. Personally I would steer clear of Blair as I've never really seen a hotel there that I would want to stay in!

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: