You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous1234Next
Current Page:2 of 4
Lionel

Last Visited: 01:15
26th Nov 2017
Re: Skiing or snowboarding abroad 2009 / 2010
Date Posted: 23.23hrs on Sun 27 Dec 09
On Sunday 13th December I had a superb ski-tour in powder snow and through the forest towards la Fontaine Noire (the Black Spring), starting just from my door-step. What a shame all this snow melted later.

Here is the link for the slideshow :

[s131.photobucket.com]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 23.24hrs Sun 27 Dec 09 by Lionel.

Scomuir

Date Posted: 16.22hrs on Tue 29 Dec 09
Hi Lionel,

Spent last week in Trysil in Norway. By alpine standards, quite a small resort, but it was really good. Fresh powder most days, tree skiing, no queues, and nice scenery. Looking at the pictures of the last few days of Scotland, it would appear that we needn't have travelled so far to get powder, but you don't know that when you book in advance!

The powder on the first day was so light, it offered very little resistance when skiing through it. It was more like ice crystals than snow. Amazing stuff.

cheers,

Scott

[www.scomuir.com]

Lionel

26th Nov 2017
Date Posted: 02.14hrs on Thu 31 Dec 09
Hi Scott,

Thanks for your report on your website. Amazing pics and fantastic conditions. Trysil seems to be quite a nice resort.

[www.visitnorway.com]

I think the whole North of Europe (Scotland, Norway and Scandinavia) is blessed with great snow. It's not true over here in the Alps at the moment.

Greetings from the Alps,

Lionel

Lionel

26th Nov 2017
Date Posted: 13.27hrs on Sun 17 Jan 10
Last Saturday, 9th January I skied from my doorstep down to the Gerdil village (300 metre descent and a 2 km off piste run) where my cousin and her husband live. I was invited for dinner so it was night skiing, down first and up again after the meal to go back home. The conditions were excellent. Powder snow and snow falling when I went back up home. I was back home around 10:30 PM. Here is an Animoto video. The atmosphere was really magic.

[animoto.com]

kill_reign

Last Visited: 05:32
10th Feb 2019
Date Posted: 13.42hrs on Sun 17 Jan 10
beautiful thanks lionel. I'll need to get my finger out my arse and get my pics from my week in aviemore i just had.

Lionel

26th Nov 2017
Date Posted: 21.31hrs on Sun 17 Jan 10
You are welcome Kill Reign. So waiting for your pics from your great week in Aviemore.

Yesterday's skiing could be entitled "How to go ski-touring with a lumbago". Sometimes I get a lumbago because of a slipped disk and I don't forget my doctor's piece of advice : try to exercise as much as possible, ski touring is always very good for your back. So yesterday,I decided to take my lumbago for a reasonable ski-tour around the Col du Feu (Fire pass) while my nephew and his friend were skiing in the tiniest ski resort of the Alps : the stade de neige de la Grange des Bois. Altitude 1000 - 1200 metres. After a two and a half hour tour and some nice slides in "neige poudreuse" (some kind of powdery stuff) I was back to the car park without any lumbago. Lost it somewhere while skiing. Great ! :-)

The slideshow is here :

[s131.photobucket.com]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21.33hrs Sun 17 Jan 10 by Lionel.

Lionel

26th Nov 2017
Date Posted: 00.31hrs on Mon 18 Jan 10
Today was my best ski-touring outing of the season so far ! Fantastic views, fresh powder snow, sunshine and beautiful sunset. La creme de la creme !

The slideshow is here :

[s131.photobucket.com]

Greetings from the Alps,

Lionel

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 00.36hrs Mon 18 Jan 10 by Lionel.

kill_reign

10th Feb 2019
Date Posted: 18.46hrs on Wed 20 Jan 10
nice, my pics may take a wee while. They been taken with my canon d40 and will need editing, a work through light room and a down sizing to make them postable. Trouble is I work offshore with no access to decent computer systems to do this, then in Switzerland then offshore again for 3 weeks. phew. So i`ll get them up ASAP for you.

Those last pics look sweet :p

kill_reign

10th Feb 2019
Date Posted: 08.40hrs on Thu 21 Jan 10
[IMG]http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4381/treeclouds.jpg" style="max-width: 97%; " /> [IMG]http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4381/treeclouds.th.jpg" style="max-width: 97%; " />

[img97.imageshack.us]

lol what alot of mucking about sorry tongue sticking out smiley got one up but its still a wee bit dark i think? i 'll need to work on it a bit more. Right need to be off flying at 1345 today.

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 08.46hrs Thu 21 Jan 10 by kill_reign.

Mike_w

Last Visited: 06:19
12th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 21.55hrs on Mon 22 Feb 10
Had a week in Austria this month.

Stayed in Galtur and had a few entertaining days on and off piste at the local resort (great wee place) and the rest of the time at Ischgl (free shuttle bus).

Some great powder days with additional scottish weather but plenty of blue skies as well.

Best of all , no queues and cheap beer (3 euros a pint in Galtur). If anyone thinks thats expensive then go to france!

Cant recommend the area enough, its a fantastic place. Ischgl also joins onto a Swiss resort and your pass covers for that area as well.

Mike in Edinburgh
Assorted scottish pics - www.prog99.com

Lionel

26th Nov 2017
Date Posted: 00.27hrs on Tue 23 Feb 10
Some pics of a great day spent in Chamonix, at the Bossons skijump for the 2010 France ski-jumping cup on Saturday 23rd January.

I was only a spectator of course and it was great to enjoy for the first time for me this fantastic winter sport. Jumpers from all ages (12 years old to men in their twenties) competed for the whole afternoon under the magnificient Aiguille du Midi that is towering at altitude 3842 metres, just above the Bossons jump. The longuest jumps were 104 metres that day and there were competitors from all mountain ranges of France and also from Switzerland.

The views on the Glacier des Bossons, one of the longest glaciers in Europe were awesome and we got fantastic weather conditions : no wind, sunshine and blue sky, temperature was minus 14.

Here is the slideshow :

[s131.photobucket.com]

And some pics :

Aiguille du Midi - 3842 m

Glacier des Bossons straight from the top of Mont Blanc

Skiing down the jump ramp at about 92 - 95 kms per hour.

Jumping over about 100 metres

And finally the rewards

Lionel

26th Nov 2017
Date Posted: 00.53hrs on Fri 12 Mar 10
That was a strange wee ski-tour from my door step on Sunday 24th February. I just planned a short tour and I ended skiing on the 3 Corries as far as my friend's isolated chalet. Laurent invited me for a few drams and after a chat, it was dark so I had to ski back home over les 3 Combes. It was real night-skiing with a head torch and some moonlight too.

Here are the pictures :

[s131.photobucket.com]

Skiing down into the woods on the second corrie. I had to avoid some "sapins" at the latest second as the snow in the woods was not very good.

In the "Troisième Combe" reaching Laurent and Alison's isolated house. No road to get there even in summer, in winter the best way to visit them is to go ski-touring. Alison is Scottish, with Laurent they live here all year round.

After drinking single malt whisky and chatting with Laurent, skiing back home in the dark. The snow is frozen again in the forest but still good in open fields. I just loved skiing under the sky full of stars

Greetings from the Alps under new snow.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 00.58hrs Fri 12 Mar 10 by Lionel.

Lionel

26th Nov 2017
Date Posted: 00.00hrs on Sun 14 Mar 10
A ski tour rescue, looking for two lost people in the mountains of Les NANTS. That was on January 28th 2010 and I managed to find the missing ski-tourers. :-)

My pics (slideshow) are here :

[s131.photobucket.com]

Skinning up from l'Ermont to the remote village of Les Nants.

Reaching the village of Les Nants.

At last, lost ski-tourers found and rescued.

Mike_w

Last Visited: 06:19
12th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 19.10hrs on Sun 28 Mar 10
Back from chamonix. A week of contrasts!

Sunday - Rain! Morning in Grand Montets(bad vis) and afternoon in les Houches(good vis!)

Monday - Rain in morning. Spent the morning dotting around Brevent & Flegere. A lot of avalanche debris due to the rain and high temps. Temperature inversion in the morning for a bit. Cracking views of Mont Blanc above the cloud. Afternoon in Le Tour, still possible to ski back to Vallorcine

Tuesday - Bluebird! Dragged fiona boarding at Les Houches until the snow softened up and then went sight seeing up the Aiguille du Midi. Hmm today should have been a vallee blanch day! Very , very warm in the valley.

Wednesday - Another bluebird day. Grand montets was open so did a couple of cracking runs down from the top and then dotted around until the slush got too annoying. Again very , very warm in the valley (18c!!)

Thursday - Meant to have been a vallee blanch day but there was a storm over the mont blanc massif so dotted around flegere and brevent again. Some more big avalanches have occurred over the ski runs again. Snow very slushy low down. Best run was black from the drag lift near the index lift.

Friday - Day trip to verbier. Rain, wind and snow. Lasted the morning and then went shopping in sallanches.

Saturday - Epic powder day at Grand Montets. Top not open but great snow whilst it wasnt tracked out. Afternoon in Let Tour, managed one run before the weather crapped out and we called it a day!

Picture attached is a full depth avalanche over one of the red runs at brevent.

Mike in Edinburgh
Assorted scottish pics - www.prog99.com

Attachments: ava.jpg (71kB)  
Lionel

26th Nov 2017
Date Posted: 20.42hrs on Sun 28 Mar 10
Well done Mike !

I think you made the most of it despite a very mild weather even at high altitudes. It got a little bit colder over the weekend and now we are back to some powder snow and snow line down to 1200 m over here in Chablais, which is very good to help the season to be a little bit longer. Otherwise, with those very warm temperatures, it would have been over very quickly.

I am sure you are going to get some more skiing in Scotland after Chamonix.

Goto Page:  Previous1234Next
Current Page:2 of 4
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: