You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
BigRed

Last Visited: 13:22
5th Mar 2010
Quick Hello and Question
Date Posted: 16.26hrs on Sat 13 Jan 07
Hi all,

Was browsing the skiscotland website, followed a few links then arrived here. Seems like a friendly forum with good advice and a sensible place to ask (basic) questions. Oh and you have some fantastic pictures in the gallery area!!! Really getting me in the mood and state of mind to "work from home" for a few days and go skiing >;o)

I learned to ski in Glenshee about 3 years ago and loved it!! I intend to return this year and bring a few friends with me so we can all be complete learners together >;o)
I was wondering when would be the best time to come? I was thinking of the end of Feb due to the fact that in the gallery nearly all of the ski centres have decent snow at around that time.
6WOuld you agree that is probably the best time to come and is Glenshee a good place for beginners?

Cheers,
Andy.
Hustler

Last Visited: 07:52
19th Aug 2019
Re: Quick Hello and Question
Date Posted: 18.42hrs on Sat 13 Jan 07
Boy, that's a tough list of questions.
Yes, in good conditions Glenshee is a good place to bring beginner friends, the facilities are ok and tuition readily available. At least as good, and maybe edging in front is the Lecht. Both have a selection of green terrain and some easy blues to move on to when ready. Poor snow can easily make every piste at least one grade higher than the resort's rating.
Cafes at both are reasonably convenient for revival.

Weather is the big issue.
As you'll see discussed among the forum threads, the current weather pattern is a fair bit more unpredictable than it used to be and climate change is giving us a lot of high winds and variable freezing level this year. I guess there's a lot more energy in the system.

To help your pals get the most out of the new experience means you need both a reasonable day in terms of weather and good snow cover underfoot.
Looking back, Glenshee was in good shape from about early March onwards last year, unusually with lifts running well into April.
Essentially, you need to be as flexible as possible if planning to introduce folk to the joys of Scottish skiing. It can be great. It can also be disapointing and off-putting... Try to leave the decision over date and destination as late as possible.
Good luck!
andrewr

Last Visited: 15:13
30th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 19.14hrs on Sat 13 Jan 07
Hello BigRed.
Good chance you would be able to get some skiing in at the Ptarmigan bowl at Cairngorm (weather permitting) at that time of year if Glenshee wasn't open, although it would be a real shame if it hadn't by then. I don't think there would be too much of a problem with getting lessons as well at that time.
Would second Hustler when saying that March tends to be a good month (if you can really say such a thing). The end of February isn't the half term holidays down south, is it? I can never remember when they are but the hill usually gets busier.
BigRed

Last Visited: 13:22
5th Mar 2010
Date Posted: 11.25hrs on Mon 15 Jan 07
Thanks for the replies andrewr and Hustler.

I think that if I leave it later the better chance of snow - I hope.

Not sure on the holidays down this way as the councils seem to chop and change for each area. I think they are around about that time of year though.

Looking forward to getting to see and play in some decent snow!!

Thanks again,
Andy.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: