You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  1234Next
Current Page:1 of 4
naefearjustbeer

Last Visited: 23:28
22nd Nov 2015
Whats your wheels
Date Posted: 00.07hrs on Mon 25 Oct 10
Thinking about replacing my ageing Fiat Doblo for a new (TO ME) Vehicle at some point next year and looking for some suggestions for something roomy enough to carry kayaks/skis/snowboards/mountain bikes on a rack and associated gear inside.(not all at the same time). But also be a practicable family car/van. I guess snow driving is a very important consideration so I dont want something with wide low profile tyres to skitter around when it gets slippy. Probably a 10 grand budget. What do you lot all drive and would you recommend it?

Any views or suggestions

cmorrison

Last Visited: 10:36
21st Apr 2021
Re: Whats your wheels
Date Posted: 00.21hrs on Mon 25 Oct 10
What about a Land Rover Defender or a Toyota Hilux or something. Lots of room, etc etc. Fuel economy will be rank though.

I've got an oldish beat up volvo but would love a Defender.
naefearjustbeer

22nd Nov 2015
Date Posted: 00.51hrs on Mon 25 Oct 10
Not sure how practical a landy or hilux would be as an every day family car. Wouldnt fancy driving one of those things the 3+ hours each way to get to the slopes. I was thinking about estate cars such as a volvo or VW passat. Or Something from the Subaru line up, outback legacy or forester
Hipennine

Date Posted: 08.07hrs on Mon 25 Oct 10
Had both an XC70 and a Legacy. A-road and Mway cruising, fuel consumption, general comfort and overall space, the Volvo wins hands down, but its a bit like a wallowing boat. Cornering, twisty roads, snow and rain performance, etc the Scooby is streets ahead, but you'll need deep pockets for the fuel (mine was a 2.5 auto - 26mpg was exceptionally good vs XC70 at about 32mpg).

Colin at CML seems pretty convinced about the Volvo though.
hector

Last Visited: 13:35
19th Jun 2014
Date Posted: 09.46hrs on Mon 25 Oct 10
Subaru have done a diesel Legacy for a while that should do an easy 50mpg and does everything else as well as the petrol models. Saying that, I do like the Volvo for some reason as well.

As an alternative, how about a VW Transporter/Caravelle? A mate bought one a few years ago and its proven pretty useful. Heaps of room for people and kit and great for getting changed in or even having lunch if the weather's bad.

His is the 2.5TDI with 180 bhp, does an easy 35mpg and goes like stink. Its got plenty of ground clearance for drifts and with winter tyres is pretty decent in the snow. Surprising nice to drive as well.

Failing that, a Land Cruiser... smiling smiley

Jamie
naefearjustbeer

22nd Nov 2015
Date Posted: 10.51hrs on Mon 25 Oct 10
Interesting to know that a transporter behaves reasonably in the snow! Quite like the idea of one but they appear to be quite expensive second hand unless you pick up a high mileage ex builders van.
malks

Last Visited: 16:49
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 15.51hrs on Mon 25 Oct 10
I've got an audi A4 estate. absolutely brilliant car, loads of space in the boot for anything you might need to throw in there. handling is great for a big estate car. and performance again is good (its the 2.0l tdi 140bhp) not tried it out in the snow yet, but it cant be any worse than my 3 series bmw i had last season!

the audi isnt exactly cheap to buy, but a great reliable car. also pretty economical too, it get 45mpg when driving fast and doing short journeys in and around town. long steady motorway type stuff, 50/55mpg easy.

i'd happily recommend volkwagen and audi's to anyone. some of the best cars ive had!
hector

Last Visited: 13:35
19th Jun 2014
Date Posted: 17.38hrs on Mon 25 Oct 10
The ideal Transporter to go for is the Shuttle. Fully removable seats and some toys but still got wash down rubber floor and trim. Also avoid the smallest engine as it's too slow!

Any diesel Audi,VW or Skoda estate will be pretty decent if you decide to go down that route. Almost every model is available with 4 wheel drive though some of the sportier models are a bit short of ground clearance.

Jamie
johnDUB

Last Visited: 12:29
28th Feb 2013
Date Posted: 20.43hrs on Mon 25 Oct 10
Mines a Passat V6TDI estate 2003. I like it, had it from new, never got stuck with it. To echo hector, sports suspension is lower.
YJ

Date Posted: 21.42hrs on Mon 25 Oct 10
I got my self a barbie bike the other day. The bike isn't the most ideal thing to get about with skis, but it will have to do for now.

daveski

Last Visited: 10:01
28th Apr 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 18.18hrs on Tue 26 Oct 10
I have a Jeep Patriot petrol (privately owned) - does what it says on the tin at a reasonable cost - previous to that I had a RAV4 (company) - When it came to buying a car in my view Jeep beats it hands down. No issues in the deep snow last winter, great on rough tracks and on the beach in softish sand - it's not a proper off roader so I dont take anywhere too difficult. Seats 5 comfortably, split rear seats (recline) and fold flat passenger. It also drives really well on roads, everyone that has driven it really likes it and for a 10k budget you should be looking at a 58 plate with reasonable mileage.

Just to add it has three season tyres and you can get 30k - downside is the service interval is a bit on the low side I think its every 8k

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11.29hrs Wed 27 Oct 10 by daveski.
naefearjustbeer

22nd Nov 2015
Date Posted: 23.07hrs on Tue 26 Oct 10
I had a Jeep Cherokee 2.5td in the past and absolutely loved it. Fantastic to drive excellent off road and in the snow returned 25mpg no matter how I drove it. If money were no object I would have another Jeep. However garage repair bills crippled me on it. For example when the cylinder head went porous and it cost best part of 3 grand to fix.

To be honest a VW transporter sounds great but not sure its so handy as an everyday family car. So maybe a VW Passat estate might be tempting. Last VW I had was Y reg Sirocco and it was a lovely old car. Not much use for my current hobbies and lifestyle though!

WebCT_Guru

Last Visited: 14:32
21st Jan 2019
Date Posted: 10.08hrs on Wed 27 Oct 10
What about a Skoda Yeti (4x4 version)?

Maybe a tad pricey as they second-hand versions will be hard to come across due to the newness of the vehicle.

Or other "crossovers" like Fiat Sedici Crossover 4x4 - which may be cheaper 2nd hand due to it being out for a while...although I believe they are hard to find.
moffatross

Date Posted: 16.26hrs on Wed 27 Oct 10
WebCT_Guru Wrote:What about a Skoda Yeti (4x4 version)?

Funny you should say that R. as (after a 5 month wait from order to delivery) I'll be getting a Yeti next week for work. It's a family hatchback length & width, has 180mm ground clearance, 4WD & various trick stuff for hill hold / snow & mud and a widely reported 45 to 50 mpg out of a 170PS diesel engine. It has electric bum warmers too. smiling smiley
telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 09.05hrs on Thu 28 Oct 10
Subaru Forester and Landcruiser do the job for me,
Subaru is less greedy on fuel, and faster/handles much better, good in show
but when the snow starts to get over 1ft deep! the landcruiser wins, and has 2 winches, waffleboards on board...
Goto Page:  1234Next
Current Page:1 of 4
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: