You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous1234Next
Current Page:2 of 4
WebCT_Guru

Last Visited: 14:32
21st Jan 2019
Re: Whats your wheels
Date Posted: 10.52hrs on Thu 28 Oct 10
moffatross Wrote:
WebCT_Guru Wrote:What about a Skoda Yeti (4x4 version)?

Funny you should say that R. as (after a 5 month wait from order to delivery) I'll be getting a Yeti next week for work. It's a family hatchback length & width, has 180mm ground clearance, 4WD & various trick stuff for hill hold / snow & mud and a widely reported 45 to 50 mpg out of a 170PS diesel engine. It has electric bum warmers too.

Nice smiling smiley Hopefully your Yeti will have lots of reported sightings at the ski centres this year.

I've got my eye on a friend's wife's Forester which is coming up to the time when she normally gets a new one (which she uses for cruising around town and shopping trips to Edinburgh). Is the 2.0L petrol up to the job of running the 4WD and are they economical?

nobbynoo

Last Visited: 14:03
6th Apr 2012
What's this?
Date Posted: 17.54hrs on Thu 28 Oct 10
nissan navara for me loads of room good on fuel 35/40 to gallon travel from nottingham to aveimore on less then one tank of fuel.was about the only one moving in the deep snow last year general grabber at2's fitted.

nobbynoo

Last Visited: 14:03
6th Apr 2012
What's this?
Date Posted: 18.14hrs on Thu 28 Oct 10
nissan navara for me loads of room good on fuel 35/40 to gallon travel from nottingham to aveimore on less then one tank of fuel.was about the only one moving in the deep snow last year general grabber at2's fitted.

Attachments: P1000678.JPG (239kB)  
paisleyboarder

Last Visited: 19:44
15th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 18.20hrs on Wed 3 Nov 10
BMW 1 Series, 57 plate got it in february this year as the golf had served it's time had it from new but it was beginning to cost money new timing belt, radiator and front and back brake pads had been replaced. The BMW cost 13 Grand 2nd hand but for being 2.5 yrs old only had 10K on the clock, great car nice and sturdy no real probs with the rwd last winter will see how things fair this year, only downside is no spare tyre if i get a puncture, but through work i have "aquired" 2 run flat tyres that are practically brand new so saving me about £250 on high street prices

Snow-Bunny

Last Visited: 21:03
4th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 13.07hrs on Fri 5 Nov 10
What ever you get make sure it isn't a Ford S-Max. Brilliant car for space and sports gear as the boot is absolutely huge. On snow it is absolute rubbish ok I didn't have snow tyres on but still spanking new tyres (less than 600 miles) I got it stuck in a motorway service station car park on the flat!!! any slope with snow on requires chains or snow tyres.
Get yourself a little citroen C2, drove my mums last winter and with ordinary road tyres on it was getting to and from the Cas Carpark with no trouble, even had fun when the snow was deeper than the front bumper, it just ploughed its way along when others were getting stuck on the bend by the clay pidgeon shoot. thank god it was powder or else she would kill me.

naefearjustbeer

Last Visited: 23:28
22nd Nov 2015
Date Posted: 21.27hrs on Fri 5 Nov 10
Anybody try a VW Touran in the snow?

RE the Citreon many moons ago I had a citreon AX I swear that thing had secret 4X4 tendencies some of the places I drove it the mind boggles!

telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.32hrs on Wed 10 Nov 10
WebCT_Guru Wrote:

I've got my eye on a friend's wife's Forester which is coming up to the time when she normally gets a new one (which she uses for cruising around town and shopping trips to Edinburgh). Is the 2.0L petrol up to the job of running the 4WD and are they economical?

our 2002 forester - 2litre, non-turbo - does about 32mpg average. can get 34mpg on a long run. and yes engine is fine for the AWD system. the AWD can cope with the 200hp of the turbo engine too. - but then mpg is much lower!

daveski

Last Visited: 10:01
28th Apr 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 19.21hrs on Thu 11 Nov 10
the Jeep Patriot is 2.4l AWD with diff lock and very capable in snow and easy to drive - really good all round car at about the same size of a ford Focus CMAX - can get 36mpg but averages more around the 30mpg- leather seats, front are heated, driving lights, adjustable height headlights, fold flat seats, split rear seats with recline - good bit of space - can criticise the hard plastic trim but easy to keep clean, full size spare, the 3 season tyres last about 30k miles, never felt the need to put on winter tyres, but that is more to do with not using it enough in snow.

I bought mine initially on a good deal with guaranteed future value, liked it so much that I paid the outstanding balance and kept it. I looked around but could not find anything that could touch it for the money - money no object I would probably opt for the landcruiser.

johnDUB

Last Visited: 12:29
28th Feb 2013
Date Posted: 23.17hrs on Thu 11 Nov 10
Being the resident vw nut,nfjb, I reckon the touran would be ok aslong as you didnt take the piss. Switch esp off and drive steady. My passats like an oil tanker in the wet, but good in snow, even without snow chains on.

ColinTheCop

Last Visited: 18:44
16th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 21.21hrs on Sat 13 Nov 10
I'm voting for mine, no actually... I've been finding myself looking longingly at A4 estates recently.

ALthough mine is handy sometimes, and has all the toys which makes it comfortable for those drives to the Alps.

Like when there is no roads,

Or I need to carry the bike,

Or even the canoe,

But yeah, an A4 S-line Avant currently tickles my fancy.

cmorrison

Last Visited: 10:36
21st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 22.05hrs on Sat 13 Nov 10
I'll give you £500 for yours then Colin, you can put it towards your avant!

Willb

Last Visited: 20:31
15th Jul 2011
Date Posted: 12.29hrs on Sun 14 Nov 10
I had a defender, which was great but not very practical until the going got really tough, now I have got a subaru legacy outback, converted to run on LPG, which seems to be the best of both worlds, as it has a capable 4x4 system, much better ground clearance than a lot of cars, handles well and does about 27mpg ..... on a fuel that costs 65ppl! equivalent of 50mpg in petrol

Will

naefearjustbeer

22nd Nov 2015
Date Posted: 15.23hrs on Wed 17 Nov 10
cmorrison Wrote:
I'll give you £500 for yours then Colin, you can put it towards your avant!

I think I would give £550 for it smiling smiley

Thinking about a L200 or Navara but not convinced! Argh need to win lottery and get one of each and a big garage to store all my toys.

hector

Last Visited: 13:35
19th Jun 2014
Date Posted: 00.04hrs on Thu 18 Nov 10
I've never really been convinced by double cab pickups as daily drive vehicles. Unless you need the huge payload and separated load area a normal 4x4 seems to do everything better...

Pickups usually have leaf springs at the back which results in a bouncy ride when empty and exciting handling in the wet when compared to the coils of most 4x4s.

Surprisingly cramped inside for the size of the exterior - try comparing a shogun and an L200 for example.

Older technology - Most pickups are a generation behind the equivalent 4x4 when it comes to engine and transmission. Again the Shogun gets a modern 3.2 common rail diesel whereas the L200 makes do with the older 2.5TD. The newer engine is more powerful yet does more mpg.

They do look cool though smiling smiley

Seriously though, a Shogun may be worth a look. A friend reckons he gets 35mpg from his LWB 3.2 diesel and he's had no reliability issues.

Jamie

naefearjustbeer

22nd Nov 2015
Date Posted: 01.15hrs on Thu 18 Nov 10
Latest thoughts from me is a Nissan X Trail or a Subaru Legacy. The wife wants a Volvo XC90 or a Subaru Forrester !!!!!!!! Probably end up with a Fiat Punto with snow tyres and a big roof box winking smiley

Goto Page:  Previous1234Next
Current Page:2 of 4
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: