Just have from 4 Vallees, Switzerland (Verbier, Nendaz, Siviez & Veysonnaz). Good week, snow cover rather thin in places. Link from Nendaz broken, link between La Tzoumaz<-->Verbier close to broken. Lots of rocks both off and on piste, by week old skis now look far older - I wish I had taken my old skis.
Snowed twice, 6" each time, but the lack of pisteing meant that this either blown away or was skied into loose piles of snow+icy base. I don't understand why the pisteing was so poor.
Why I would go back:
- The orange 'marked off piste' runs were excellent fun - just a wee bit thin
- Lots of other interesting off piste lines to test a poor skiier like me!
- Excellent for similar-ability Red+ groups with no end of lines to try
- Black run off Mount Fort excellent and loads of off-piste options down + spectacular views.
Why I would not go back
- Ski Pass (area): £238 for 6 days - steep for open terrain compared to other linked resorts like 3 valleys/Paradisiski/L'Espace Killy.
- Link from Nendaz-->elsewhere closed making it the '3 Valleys'. This closure is apparently all too common and meant getting a bus every day with 1000's of others since there is only 2 long blues at Nendaz. Could be fixed with new lift carrying folks both directions.
- 'But we pisted it last week' attitude towards pisteing the runs.
- Outdated lift infrastructure, for £238/week I want modern chairs, not poma's+t-bars + 2 man chairs!
- Stop/go lifts and go-slow lifts. Due to beginners/kids failing to get on the outdated lifts!
- Ques - far worse than other recent ski-holidays, and again due to outdated lifts
- Link out/back from Siviez<-->Veysonnez is via Poma/T-Bar! == queues
- Not good for mixed ability groups, no blues linking the valleys, if folks not happy on Moguled reds then Veysonnez inaccessible from Siviez == bus required.
- Link from Siviez/Veysonnez --> Verbier is via 2 cable cars routes with a steep often moguled red down into Le Chaux/Verbier off both. Link back is only via 2 orange marked off piste routes meaning those not skiing off-piste 'Blacks' will be getting the cable car down.
- Not a resort for boarders. Some flat links between resorts, too many t-bars/poma's. Skiiers must have out-numbered boarders 20:1.
- Quad chair from Siviez to Tortin meets 2x cable cars. Quad chair is a huge bottle neck == 20 mins in queue.
If I did go back
- I would not stay at Nendaz, I would stay at Verbier or Siviez. Likely Verbier since their lift infrastructure is far newer/more complete. Veysonnaz too far out, would require a good hour to get to Siviez each morning.
- I would take my touring kit. Lots of tourers about the place. Quite a bit of snow-shoeing going on too.
] Video to follow.
We flew Easyjet Edi-->Basel for £45 each + 1 ski bag between 3. Resort is ~3 hours drive from Basel (hire car was £300 incl chains/winter tyres/blah). Bought food in Aldi in Sion before heading up to resort. Apartment (which would sleep 5) was €600 for the week, Area Pass: £238 for 6 days. Total cost PP incl food/beer/ski pass/car park/car hire/fuel/insurance was: £650. I've paid a grand for a week's skiing beforehand so this was not too bad.
Edited 5 times. Last edit at 15.46hrs Sun 27 Feb 11 by veletron.