You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
cmorrison

Last Visited: 10:36
21st Apr 2021
Alps in Summer
Date Posted: 23.59hrs on Tue 28 Dec 10
I'm trying to plan my summer holiday at the moment (probably early august).

I'm thinking about dragging my extended family to the Alps this summer does anyone have any recommendations for resort or accomodation (6 adults 1 baby)? What is there to do in the summer? Where are good resorts? What's the weather like? Lots of quesitons but I'm sure you guys will give me some answers!

Lionel

Last Visited: 01:15
26th Nov 2017
Re: Alps in Summer
Date Posted: 22.01hrs on Wed 29 Dec 10
Hi Chris,

I am hesitating to give a reply to your request because you know that I tend to defend and promote my lovely valley of the Chablais and Portes du Soleil area. So I don't think my suggestions would be very objective.

However if you decide to come over to this place of the Alps, then I would recommend a few resorts like Les Gets, Chatel or Samoëns. You know already Morzine. I don't recommend Avoriaz in summer.

[www.lesgets.com]

[info.chatel.com]

[www.samoens.com]

Over here there are lots of activities to do :

hillwalking and rockclimbing
via ferratas
white water rafting and canyoning
cycling and mountain biking
golf
swimming in Lake Léman or in many swimming pools
paragliding
ice-skating
summer sledging
tennis
glacier walking nearby (Chamonix or Glacier 3000)
trout fishing
cruises on Lake Leman to visit Lausanne, Evian, Montreux, Chillion castle
many music festivals
and many more...

End ofJuly, beginning of August, the summer weather is generally good and settled (but it depends, sometimes we get rain and snow on the moutains).

The only problem is that the first weeks of August are very busy everywhere with tourists from all over the world, especially in famous resorts. But still you can find some quiet places far away from trendy resorts.

I could recommend some very peaceful and beautiful resorts (and also cheaper) :

Bellevaux and Vallée du Brevon (that's the valley where I live),

[bellevaux.com]

Vallée d'Aulps (that's also the valley where I live), highly recommended.

[www.valleedaulps.com]

Abondance and its valley.

[www.abondance.org]

The smallest resorts on the last three links are not as busy as Les Gets or Samoëns and they are also cheaper as regards accomodation. They are close to the main places and if you have a car, it will be easy to drive anywhere you want to go.

Another bonus, if you come over to the Chablais and Portes du Soleil, I am sure I will have some time to guide you and your family to some nice mountain places, for example our old mountain chalet I know and you'll taste again our home-made cider or home-made Eau de Vie (local whisky). Cheers !

Lionel

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: