You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
flugeryl

Last Visited: 12:40
11th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Skiers more reckless???
Date Posted: 08.51hrs on Thu 30 Dec 10
Besides looking at common injuries such as those of the knee, ankle, wrist, and leg, the researchers studied collisions with fixed objects. They found that skiers are involved in collisions with fixed objects at a rate that is 54 percent higher than snowboarders. Based on their observations and evidence, skiers run into snowboarders more often than the other way around. The rate of collisions between snowboarders and fixed objects did not increase during the seven-year study.

[userpages.monmouth.com]

Be Nice to Skiers, they have it hard enough already
cammyammy

Last Visited: 21:43
8th Dec 2014
Re: Skiers more reckless???
Date Posted: 13.34hrs on Thu 30 Dec 10
this was something i was mentioning in my last post about avalancher and ski patrol. Personally i do go a bit fast sometimes past beginners but i make sure i leave plenty of room, same when passing boarders. But i have seen a few skiers, usually the twin tipped and helmet that is not clipped on type. Who try and squeeze through tiny gaps risking sometimes nasty accidents. Because in their mind they are king of the mountain. Must be said there are boarders who do this kind of thing as well. But where my argument stands is not how they take the risks its how they dont appreciate being in the mountains, in scotland, where weather changes fast, and they are a long way from real medical help if things go wrong.
SimonEllis

Last Visited: 11:43
7th Oct 2014
Date Posted: 13.45hrs on Thu 30 Dec 10
Pretty old study this though - from data 15 yrs+ old now
Wonder if the doctor on here who looks at injuries can comment with more up to date informatoin?
Hipennine

Date Posted: 09.13hrs on Fri 31 Dec 10
flugeryl Wrote:
Based on their observations and evidence, skiers run into snowboarders more often than the other way around. The rate of collisions between snowboarders and fixed objects did not increase during the seven-year study.

Is this because snowboarders have a habit of sitting down in the middle of the piste in the most inappropriate spots ? Sat in the Glenshee cafe mid morning yesterday, we observed at one stage every run down the Sunnyside had at least one point where the entire width of the run was an obstacle challenge, with lines of snowboarders sitting down, whilst beginner boarders and skiers attempted to find paths through them. Frankly I'm surprised that skiers don't run into snowboarders more often (or were sitting snowboarders classified as fixed objects in the survey ?).
flugeryl

Last Visited: 12:40
11th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 10.46hrs on Fri 31 Dec 10
I think most of the sunnyside culprits are beginners with poor etquet / knowledge who are learning without an instructor

signage on these runs, cartoon-like stating dont sit in middle of the piste would be very helpfull in the education

yeh the study is old, but I fell across it and though it was intresting, I would say the quality of snowboarding has improved over the past 15yrs with more taking lessons..etc

it is nice to dispell the myth of the middleclass-2weeks-a-year female skier who thinks all snowboarders are hooligans who are going to crash into her...although you do get 100 points for a good heel edge spray on them ;-)

Be Nice to Skiers, they have it hard enough already
Hipennine

Date Posted: 15.48hrs on Fri 31 Dec 10
flugeryl Wrote:
boarding has improved over the past 15yrs with more taking lessons..etc

it is nice to dispell the myth of the middleclass-2weeks-a-year female skier who thinks all snowboarders are hooligans who are going to crash into her...although you do get 100 points for a good heel edge spray on them ;-)

The Milkman has the most fun

Ha ha ! How may points do us middle-age aspiring middle-class skiers get for doing the same to a pair of boarders sat smack in the middle of the return run from fionn/meall odhar poma yesterday then ? A perfectly executed pincer movement sprayed both sides at once !
cammyammy

Last Visited: 21:43
8th Dec 2014
Date Posted: 02.36hrs on Tue 4 Jan 11
They always tell you to stop at the side of the run in ski school, but i totally 100% agree that boarders are the worst for deciding to take a break right dead centre in the middle of the run, but what makes it worse is that they do it in large groups. And especially in poor vis it makes a rather large obsticle for a skier, or fellow boarders for that matter.

But to put this into context, the skiers in question have probably had to swerve into a solid object such as a snow fence or piste basher to avoid colidong with and injuring the stationary boarders that were in the way. In the same way people often swerve into a tree to avoid hitting and killing a deer when driving. Its because skiers are just such good citizens. smiling smiley
Snow-Bunny

Last Visited: 21:03
4th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 18.38hrs on Mon 10 Jan 11
Have to laugh, couple of weeks ago at a certain ski area at the end of the day a small group of non British European folk decided to ski back to car park. Whole piste with a small sign in the middle to say what piste they were on and they managed to hit it.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: