You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
MrChrist

Last Visited: 13:20
15th Dec 2011
Driving up in December
Date Posted: 16.14hrs on Wed 14 Dec 11
Hello!

This may be a stupid question but...... I am staying in Tomintoul over New Year and am trying to figure out the best time of the day to do the 6 hour drive from Yorkshire. I have two options:

Option 1 - Leave work early 3/4pm and arrive @ 9/10pm

Option 2 - Get up early the following morning 5/6am and arrive noon/1pm

I am keen to maximise my time in away so fancy option 1 as it gives an extra night/full day.

Is it a ridiculous idea to try and drive through the cairngorms at that time of year at that time of night or does it just highly depend on local conditions?

Thanks,
Christian
WebcamWatcher

Re: Driving up in December
Date Posted: 16.46hrs on Wed 14 Dec 11
I've never had any issues coming up from Yorkshire at that time, for skiing I often set off at 01:00 to get to the CML car park for 08:00

Obviously if there has been a lot of snow keep an eye on Travel Scotland for snowgate/road closures.
nobbynoo

Last Visited: 14:03
6th Apr 2012
What's this?
Date Posted: 20.51hrs on Wed 14 Dec 11
have done it from nottingham start 11.00pm arrive cairngorm 7.00am just make sure your fuel tank is full on a9 section at that time of night as not many filling stations.
MrChrist

Last Visited: 13:20
15th Dec 2011
Date Posted: 20.58hrs on Wed 14 Dec 11
Excellent, it's a goer then!. Thanks for the rapid responses.

Christian
hector

Last Visited: 13:35
19th Jun 2014
Date Posted: 13.10hrs on Thu 15 Dec 11
One thing to watch for is that all of the roads into Tomintoul feature some pretty steep gradients so rapidly become difficult with even a light covering of snow/ice. Worth bearing in mind if you're not fully 4x4/chained/winter tyred up.

The Bridge of Brown in particular is quite an easy place to get trapped with steep twisty sections leading off in both directions. smiling smiley
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: