You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
veletron

Last Visited: 14:46
1st Apr 2021
Fuel Price Protests
Date Posted: 13.25hrs on Tue 11 Jan 11
Hi

With fuel now hovering around the £1.30 mark, the usual fuel price protests have started up again. There a facebook group that now have 325,000 members, as well as a more traditional petition.

The petition may be found at: [tinyurl.com] while the facebook group may be found at: [tinyurl.com]

My gripes with the whole taxation on fuel issue are:

1) Diesel especially is not a luxury item - its what fills the shelves in the supermarket. Reduce the tax at the pump and increase the road-tax for diesel based private vehicles. VAT was originally supposed to go on luxury items.

2) Other luxury items are taxed far less (Alcohol, Tobacco, DVD's, Cinema, Theatre, Concerts, blah). Increase the tax on these items and reduce the tax on fuel.

3) Its just an easy tax for the Government, Banks cause the issues, motorist fixes them. The motorist generally appears to fix most shortfalls in Government finance!

4) We are going to reach a point where we cannot afford to head for the hills of a weekend - whats the point in working at all if one cannot afford to enjoy ones free time - might as well be on the dole!

Rest assured that fuel taxes will continue to rise until such a point that the nation says 'enough is enough' and stages another blockade of the fuel depots!

Nigel

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 13.40hrs Tue 11 Jan 11 by veletron.
rossy

Last Visited: 05:42
4th Mar 2015
Re: Fuel Price Protests
Date Posted: 12.50hrs on Fri 14 Jan 11
Completely agree mate.

I find the whole situation discusting. Lets hope the nation plucks up enough guts and does something about it. If the students can arrange a protest, surely normal punters can too.
wildcat

Last Visited: 09:03
13th Jan 2012
Date Posted: 16.40hrs on Thu 17 Mar 11
We go every year to aveimore from nottingam to ski for two weeks but the price of diesel is going to coust more then renting a house for two weeks. It is about time something is done about it. When we were there in ferbury the price of diesel went up four times. How can any one aford to go on hoilday.
It is about time the government thought about us and not them selfs.
ColinTheCop

Last Visited: 18:44
16th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 20.38hrs on Fri 18 Mar 11
I drove to the Alps last month from Inverness-shire.

That was the fourth time in four years, but unless the price of diesel goes down there won't be a fith.

Mind you, I could always get an economical motor instead. sad smiley
naefearjustbeer

Last Visited: 23:28
22nd Nov 2015
Date Posted: 11.06hrs on Sat 19 Mar 11
ColinTheCop Wrote:

Mind you, I could always get an economical motor instead.

And whats the fun in that! Safe in the knowledge your car can cope with snowy roads and will get you where you want to go. Or 60mpg and stuck in a drift!
daveski

Last Visited: 10:01
28th Apr 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 11.32hrs on Sat 19 Mar 11
2 people Dublin back to Scotland for a week, its cheaper to fly Ryan Air Aberdeen or Prestwick and rent a car for a week than driving via ferry,even 2 weeks is on par

Nelbert

Last Visited: 16:26
23rd Aug 2015
Date Posted: 23.19hrs on Sat 19 Mar 11
The petrol light came on in my 1.8 vectra yesterday on the way home from work. I put a tenner in because I am a bit short after the alpine holiday. Payday next week.

I did less than 30 miles today - albeit some were stop/start in the city, and am just about empty again. This is now getting ridiculous. When crude prices were last this high it was just over a pound per litre. Why now 30p more??

Don't see anybody asking this question. I can only think the answer is because they have now seen that they can get away with charging whatever they like. I pity anyone who has to drive a good number of miles.

Funny how the 2000 fuel protests brought the country to its knees - and their beef then was 80p per litre!!
Hipennine

Date Posted: 10.03hrs on Sun 20 Mar 11
Nelbert Wrote:
The petrol light came on in my 1.8 vectra yesterday on the way home from work. I put a tenner in because I am a bit short after the alpine holiday. Payday next week.

I did less than 30 miles today - albeit some were stop/start in the city, and am just about empty again. This is now getting ridiculous. When crude prices were last this high it was just over a pound per litre. Why now 30p more??

Don't see anybody asking this question. I can only think the answer is because they have now seen that they can get away with charging whatever they like. I pity anyone who has to drive a good number of miles.

Funny how the 2000 fuel protests brought the country to its knees - and their beef then was 80p per litre!!

As a matter of interest. I've just looked at comparative wholesale figures for 19th March in 2004 for the wholesale price of diesel at the Rotterdam market (which is the one directly impacting on UK prices. In 2004, diesel was trading at an average of $325 per tonne (= the equivalent of 62.57ppl after adding duty), whereas on this Friday, March to date was circa $1000 per tonne. However, after converting to ppl and adding duty, the wholesale price on Friday was 110.96ppl. Despite the public perception, this would suggest that duty rates have not kept pace with the increased cost of the product. The proportions are the same for Petrol. Of course, the govt gets the extra VAT benefit on top of the above.

If we take the average UK pump margins of 7ppl, the above shows that the vat take per litre has risen from 12ppl to 23.6ppl in 6 years. Duty has risen from about 47ppl to about 59ppl (ie by about 12ppl). Total tax take per litre is now therefore 59p plus 23.6p = 82.6ppl compared to 69ppl in 2004. So it looks like a combo of the govt, and commodity traders (ie the bankers) who are gaining the benefit, with the commodity traders benefitting proportionately more !
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: