You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
N9jnm

Last Visited: 07:30
4th Apr 2012
New zealand holiday
Date Posted: 00.20hrs on Tue 10 Jan 12
i am planning a holiday to new zealand from june- october. i am just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction of the best slopes and places to go n stay
Southernboarder

Last Visited: 20:58
22nd Aug 2014
What's this?
Re: New zealand holiday
Date Posted: 11.30hrs on Sat 18 Feb 12
You'll have fun wherever you head, although for most resorts and less crowds head to teh South island.

evrything you need to know is here regarding snow.

[www.brownbearski.co.nz]

I lived in Dunedin a couple of years back and the surf was great - never went flat, in fact it was too big /powerful for me a lot of the time and has a reputation of being sharky although I saw nothing except seals . a downer in winter was it was a good 3-5 hours get to ski fields.

Sadly with the quakes parts of Christchurch have been struggling, otherwise that would be the natural base as easy access to loads of ski fields. If you are confident on ungroomed terrain and think you would be ok on nutcracker tows head to the club fields. amazing terrain, no crowds (12 people on a powder day at Temple Basin) but the nutcracker tows take a bit of getting used to. small commercial fields like roundhill are great as they have a mixture of family freindly stuff and a huge face opened up by a nutcracker. some of the best views i've ever seen!

You'll need to carry snowchains wherever resort you head to in winter.

David Goldsmith

Last Visited: 08:28
6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 17.27hrs on Sat 18 Feb 12
N9jnm - you can do a lot of comparison of all the NZ ski areas on this site ...

[snow.co.nz]

... and I'm sure the forum there (bearing in mind that it's summer and quiet at present) would give you friendly advice to make up an itinerary. Snow reliability is an issue in NZ, as it is anywhere, so I'd keep your plans flexible.

If I was in your shoes, I'd definitely look to stay in Queenstown and Wanaka and ski the mountains around there. And on the north island, Turoa and Whakapapa (both on the live volcano Ruapehu) get lots of attention.

I went up to Mount Hutt once (outside the ski season). It's had plenty of investment in lifts in recent years, which is a healthy sign. The access road itself is quite an experience, and I think the skiing up there is good. You can stay in the local town of Methven.
andrewr

Last Visited: 15:13
30th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 19.59hrs on Wed 22 Feb 12
I spent a season in NZ skiing the club ski fields in the south island using the [www.chillout.co.nz] season pass which allows you to ski at all areas for the price of about one Scotland season ticket. It offers tons of variety at different hills some more comercial some very rustic. All very friendly, generally very quiet, and all with some quirks. It also helps cover your bases in terms of snow cover.

I also skied Treble cone which is a fantastic area, with modern facilities, you could stay in Wanaka which is an awesome wee town. With snowpark, cardrona and queenstown within driving distance. It really depends on what you want?
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: