You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
David Goldsmith

Last Visited: 08:28
6th Nov 2018
'Glenbogle', Loch Laggan (and the river Etive?) catch another movie-maker's lens
Date Posted: 11.19hrs on Thu 5 Apr 12
It's amazing to go to a movie - in this case 'Salmon Fishing in the Yemen' [currently previewing] - where locations are suddenly intimately familiar. The film takes Ewan MacGregor and Emily Blunt to the ridiculously beautiful Ardverikie House on Loch Laggan (also used as 'Glenbogle' in the TV series Monarch of the Glen) ... well familiar to anyone who's done the 'ultimate skiing transfer' from Cairngorm to Nevis or Glencoe.

The film also has scenes shot at a church called St Jude-on-the-Hill, which is about a mile from here in London. The vicar's son was my schoolfriend and I used to enjoy (non salmon) fish and chip suppers in the vicarage in the 1960s!

The movie? An enjoyable rom-com, with an absurd plot about importing salmon fishing into a flooded valley in a Yemeni desert (actually shot in Morocco). The acting, by McGregor and Blunt, and the cinematography (the most stunning - salmon fishing -scenes are said to have been shot on River Etive), make the film. It's a film that glories in the Highlands, so that aspect will warm your heart like a tot of single malt ... and the absurdities of the story just have to be smirked at.

Trailer etc.:

[www.salmonfishingmovie.co.uk]
Lionel

Last Visited: 01:15
26th Nov 2017
Re: 'Glenbogle', Loch Laggan (and the river Etive?) catch another movie-maker's lens
Date Posted: 07.58hrs on Fri 6 Apr 12
Thanks Dave. I'd love to see that film...to enjoy the beauty of Scottish landscapes.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: