You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
McRae77

Last Visited: 13:05
10th Feb 2012
Wax.
Date Posted: 21.35hrs on Mon 14 Feb 11
What kind of wax do you skiers and boarders use? (Guys that do their own maintenance)

What do you find works best in Scottish Conditions and why?

Just want to get into the know and get a bit of word up on what everyone uses and what is the most effective.
johnDUB

Last Visited: 12:29
28th Feb 2013
Re: Wax.
Date Posted: 22.23hrs on Mon 14 Feb 11
I use Holmenkol Waxes. XXXL universal as a first coat an scrape to clean. I finish with a mix of Holmenkol World Cup yellow 0 to -4, World Cup red to -4 to - 14 an a coat of yellow again. Brush, scrape and a top coat of Zardoz Notwax. I take the Not wax with me for on the hill application.

I dont use base cleaner unless for a repair. I crayon the wax on rather than drip on because I find it to wasteful.

If you cant get Holmenkol, Swix is good, so is Data wax which I believe is Scottish. The bad waxes for longevity / ease of use are Dakine and SKS, too plasticky, and Toko, unless you want to wax nightly, it doesnt last.

But I ironically use a Toko iron.
Hustler

Last Visited: 07:52
19th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 13.23hrs on Tue 15 Feb 11
Data sell a good universal (green) wax that is fine for everyday use and should get you 2-3 or maybe more hard days use in 'normal' Scottish conditions.
They also sell more sophisticated waxes for those keen to get the best slide/longevity compromise for different snow types.
They are easily blended by way of proportions as you iron them in.
Their red & yellow waxes for new and spring snows respectively are faster sliding than the universal but wear off more quickly.
Blue wax for cold, hard snow is the longest lasting and slowest of the lot but will survive 2-3 days on hard packed or icy pistes.

Naturally, the more effort put in, the longer lasting and faster your wax job will be. If you pick the right colour!

A good quick tonic for your ski or board is Zardoz, a light ptfe coating that you rub on with a wee pocket "puck". I'd not use it in place of wax, although the blurb says that you can; for those who like going fast, it can be added to the base during waxing to increase the speed of whichever colour of wax that you intend using. Also very handy on days out when you find that your wax is worn out or too slow for today's conditions.
johnDUB

28th Feb 2013
Date Posted: 22.10hrs on Tue 15 Feb 11
[www.zardoznotwax.com]

Good stuff
McRae77

10th Feb 2012
Date Posted: 22.24hrs on Tue 15 Feb 11
Good to hear all the different opinions. I have been using data wax all temperatures green, Howeever I seem to be finding that the wax is not lasting very long on my snowboard.

Any tips to get it to last for longer? This could be down to the conditions as we all very well know.

I currently have a ride board, I am looking to upgrade to some triple base technology Bateleon after this season..... Are there any differences when it comes to waxing these boards?
naefearjustbeer

Last Visited: 23:28
22nd Nov 2015
Date Posted: 23.13hrs on Tue 15 Feb 11
Data wax green for me. I find if the snow is a bit wet or icy it doesnt last long. If it is not nice looking snow I put some zardoz stuff on and it makes the board as fast a a fast thing and makes the wax last a lot longer. Zardoz applied in the morning appears to wear off by lunch time. I normlly expect 2 or 3 days use before re waxing my board although up to a week in good conditions has been known when applying zardoz every day.
johnDUB

28th Feb 2013
Date Posted: 11.05hrs on Wed 16 Feb 11
A wax is temp specific, so for wet snow it is soft, and really cold snow hard and a pig to apply/scrape. If you go for a uiversal wax, most likely it will be soft. On carving ski's, the wax does go from the edges in first. Holmenkol is the only brand I have used that will last and it isnt expensive. edgeandwax on ebay.
Other than that, try using a paste wax on top of your data wax and then zardoz not wax liquid.
naefearjustbeer

Last Visited: 23:28
22nd Nov 2015
Date Posted: 20.10hrs on Wed 16 Feb 11
The problem with temp specific wax is that I wax my board when it needs it and it gets put in the loft until it is required again so that I can decide late at night to head off the next morning. When I wax it I have no idea as to what the temperatures/snow conditions may be next time I go away. A general purpose one may not be the best or longest lasting but I actually enjoy waxing my board so dont mind if it wears down fast. I just know that at any given moment my board is ready to go at the drop of a hat.
johnDUB

28th Feb 2013
Date Posted: 20.18hrs on Wed 16 Feb 11
Wax fumes... hmmmm
McRae77

10th Feb 2012
Date Posted: 20.57hrs on Thu 17 Feb 11
Sounds good,I was a little worried as I am using Data Green and it seem to have quite a short lifespan but on what I have red on here it seems fine. One tip I think I am going to take on board is crayon it on more than than dripping it on.
remote_patrol

Last Visited: 22:53
20th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.08hrs on Fri 18 Feb 11
i use a 3/4 green, 1/4 blue datawax mix, a small proportion of blue in the mix seems to toughen up the finish a little and improves the lifespan. used to use green on it's own and was only getting a couple of days. adding the blue seems to nearly double that, conditions dependant of course. just watch you don't add too much or things can get very sluggish. I also keep a puck of dakine's afterburner wax handy, but i'm not conviced about rub ons really, does make a differnce, but just not for long enough, maybe zardoz is better though.
cmorrison

Last Visited: 10:36
21st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 15.41hrs on Fri 18 Feb 11
I had forgotten to wax my board one day earlier this year and on arriving at CairnGorm quickly applied some rub on wax in the car park. But it was snowing at the time.

My first run down the M2 I couldn't believe how grippy the snow was, i literally couldn't move. When I took off my board and looked at the bottom the snow that had fallen on the wax was like sandpaper on the bottom of the board! Had to use a credit card to scrape it all off and get moving.
David Goldsmith

Last Visited: 08:28
6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 15.52hrs on Fri 18 Feb 11
In my experience, the wetter that snow gets, the less you need to worry about waxing at all. Modern ski bases slide really well in spring snow etc.

Wax is a pollutant that goes into the thin natural vegetation on a mountainside, and into water sources, so it's probably best to minimise its use.
paisleyboarder

Last Visited: 19:44
15th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 16.54hrs on Fri 18 Feb 11
i have used many different brands off wax over the years but this year i'm going to give bluebird wax a try, i use all temp wax as i think it works best for me any way.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 17.30hrs Fri 18 Feb 11 by paisleyboarder.
johnDUB

28th Feb 2013
Date Posted: 22.12hrs on Tue 22 Feb 11
If you only use rub on, fold a carrier bag to a reasonable square and rub the wax in. Heat generated between bag and base works! Dont tell everyone though lol
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: