You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous123Next
Current Page:2 of 3
shagger

Last Visited: 19:36
30th Apr 2011
Re: Pushing in lift queues, do you do it?
Date Posted: 09.44hrs on Tue 22 Feb 11
It's the parents pushing in that really makes the piss boil

You can almost hear them saying.... "out of my way!!!! I'm WITH CHILD for gods sake!!! Don't you know how much I love my child? MY CHILD doesn't wait for anybody"

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 12.18hrs Tue 22 Feb 11 by alan.

WebCT_Guru

Last Visited: 14:32
21st Jan 2019
Date Posted: 09.47hrs on Tue 22 Feb 11
Would anyone want to share a T-bar with a child who is 3-4 feet tall?

Maybe in some cases it is OK for parents to "push in" and join their child who is slightly ahead in the queue, otherwise some folk are going to find out what it's like to have a T-bar behind their knees and suffer serious leg burn winking smiley

walydug

Last Visited: 19:12
5th Jun 2019
Date Posted: 09.56hrs on Tue 22 Feb 11
Think someone needs a shag to relieve some of that tension.

ColinTheCop

Last Visited: 18:44
16th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 10.10hrs on Tue 22 Feb 11
shagger Wrote:
Are you one of those people who pushed in lift queues?

They're probably French....

I tell you, queuing for a French lift really is a free-for-all. sad smiley

shagger

Last Visited: 19:36
30th Apr 2011
Date Posted: 10.24hrs on Tue 22 Feb 11
ColinTheCop Wrote:
shagger Wrote:
Are you one of those people who pushed in lift queues?

They're probably French....

I tell you, queuing for a French lift really is a free-for-all.

I've actually got no problem with a free for all, it's the same for everybody then... It's just when people are queueing and others push in because they don't want to wait, and spineless lifties do nothing about it

matty

Last Visited: 17:41
5th Jan 2017
Date Posted: 10.41hrs on Tue 22 Feb 11
spineless lifties!?! WTF! Lifties are there to ensure the safe running of heavy machinery, ensure tickets are being used and minimise down time by calling for mechanical assistance NOT there to hold your hand incase someone might push in in front of you! in fact is it not you that is a little spineless? Bitching about things namelessly on a forum? getagrip shagger

daveski

Last Visited: 10:01
28th Apr 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 10.43hrs on Tue 22 Feb 11
shagger Wrote:
As a side issue....

I snowboard and don't allow anybody else on the T-Bar with me, even if the liftie tries to put somebody on with me. Why should I allow somebody else on to bang in to my board and damage the edges? It's annoying enough that idiots in the lift queue damage my board, so why should I allow it on a lift?

Can you provide an accurate description or picture so we know to keep away from you.

DaveA

Last Visited: 00:06
19th Jan 2015
Date Posted: 10.48hrs on Tue 22 Feb 11
shagger Wrote:
DaveA Wrote:
i'm a student of the european / darwinian school of queueing

Did our parents constantly tell you that you're special?

we're not related

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 11.02hrs on Tue 22 Feb 11
I want to see the resorts take a simple stance, double up on t-bars or no uplift. End off - no discussion.

Hipennine

Date Posted: 11.02hrs on Tue 22 Feb 11
So much of these discussions come down to an attitude of "me, me, me" above all else. I was brought up in an era of mutual respect - ie if somebody is conforming to polite rules that take into account the general rights and responsibilities of others, etc, they deserve respect. If they don't, they deserve dealing with if necessarily rather disrespectfully. Ie:

If your kids are further forward in the queue, respect everybody else who is in front of you and either stay where you are, bring the kids back, or FO.

If you feel that you are insufficiently skilled to ride a lift (more especially if it's not a beginners lift), respect everybody else who can use the lift and is queueing and who would otherwise have to patiently watch your antics, either go and pay for a lesson, or FO. (Note I do regard the plateau poma as a bit of a beginners lift in this, and I don't mind the yomp to the Chateau if its busy).

If it's a T-bar, respect that everybody else is equally keen to get to the top, so share it whether with a friend or a stranger, or FO.

Yes, everybody has to learn, but there is provision for that; its called a Snowsports School, and the facilities are called Nursery Slopes. Just because you've paid for a lift ticket, doesn't give you the right to use it exclusively to your requirements.

Kieran

Last Visited: 02:51
11th Dec 2013
Date Posted: 11.11hrs on Tue 22 Feb 11
Got to be honest the person jumping in the queue is selfish but no more so than you for not sharing a poma with someone. Maybe they jumped in front of you because they were not prepared to wait while you jumped around like a little kid refusing to share the lift.

We ski/board in Scotland and scrapes/scratches on the board/skis are part of the territory. Get a set of balls and learn to share with people and stop caring about small scratches on the board. In all my time boarding i've never had someone else damage by board to the extent that i can't ride it or ever heard of that happening to someone else on a lift. Scratches yes, but really who cares.. Man up you big girl!!

Andy

Last Visited: 08:47
2nd May 2019
Date Posted: 11.16hrs on Tue 22 Feb 11
dear , dear - a lot of bad vibes here people. It's half term holidays so expect queues. I can't stand queues and also hate queue jumpers but i do have patience for those falling off lifts - everyone has to learn. There will also be a lot of folk up here on holiday who perhaps go to the alps more often and a fair few of them may have a superiority complex - lets just educate people to the scottish queuing system with a bit gentle abuse.
I got up to glenshee for 8 on sunday and skied until the queues got unbearable (on a half day pass).
Come back in spring and there will be no queues or skiers for that matter - best time of year to avoid the masses!.

gaz5m

Last Visited: 11:56
23rd Apr 2018
Date Posted: 11.22hrs on Tue 22 Feb 11
If someone pushes in front of you, tell them to get to the back of the line and take their kid with them if they want to go up together. Theres no point saying nothing at the time then coming on here and moaning about it to us. Like most others have said, if I suffer the same I'll quite happily make a fuss.

On the point about T-bars and boarders, I completely disagree with the notion that T-Bars are easier to ride with a skier than they are to ride on your own. Its simply not the case in my opinion.

I have always found T's easier than many of the Buttons around Scotland. For a tall lad with a wide stance a lot of the buttons slip out and you have to spend most of your time stopping that from happening. Alpha at Nevis being a particular b@stard of a lift.

They ARE however much easier to ride boarder/skier than boarder/boarder. No doubts about that.

On a slightly different note, what if the person has a genuine reason for not going up double? I have a weak knee which generally doesn't cause me any problems on the hill. It comes (the physio tells me) from a stretching of some muscle or other that links the knee to the hip. I went to Glencoe in January and when the Main Basin T queue got long I was happy enough to double up with a skier.

When I got to the top (skier was about a foot and a half smaller than me) my hip was dying from being pulled up in a weird position to compensate. Got to the bottom, knee dead, day over and 5 weeks out.

I'm rarely anywhere on days busy enough that I need to ride the T double these days, but after that experience if I ever was I would request to go single (if I couldn't avoid the lift which would be my first choice as I accept a T is a 2 man lift, but sometimes its not possible - I was back at Coe for the first time just last week when the top button was "Scheduled" but never ran and theres no way to avoid the Goose at nevis).

I guarantee there would be abuse as people would just see me as another boarder who cant ride the tows when the ability to ride isn't the problem.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11.24hrs Tue 22 Feb 11 by gaz5m.

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 11.32hrs on Tue 22 Feb 11
Quote:
skier was about a foot and a half smaller than me

There is the problem, not whether one half is a boarder or not. Bigger skier and smaller boarder is far more manageable - than the other way around, though any combination riding a t-bar when there is a big height difference makes things substantially more difficult.

As an aside do find it funny that it's often the same types of folk who want high speed high capacity detachable chairs all over the place that also expect to be able to ride a lift on their own! winking smiley

moffatross

Date Posted: 11.33hrs on Tue 22 Feb 11
Deleted. smiling smiley

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 13.10hrs Tue 22 Feb 11 by moffatross.

Goto Page:  Previous123Next
Current Page:2 of 3
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: