You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous123
Current Page:3 of 3
gaz5m

Last Visited: 11:56
23rd Apr 2018
Re: Pushing in lift queues, do you do it?
Date Posted: 11.51hrs on Tue 22 Feb 11
alan Wrote:
Quote:skier was about a foot and a half smaller than me

There is the problem, not whether one half is a boarder or not. Bigger skier and smaller boarder is far more manageable - than the other way around, though any combination riding a t-bar when there is a big height difference makes things substantially more difficult.

As an aside do find it funny that it's often the same types of folk who want high speed high capacity detachable chairs all over the place that also expect to be able to ride a lift on their own!

Thanks for your diagnosis of what caused the problem Dr. Alan but if it's all the same to you I'd rather not risk my £30 day pass (and next 5 weeks worth of passes) to test that theory out. smiling smiley

Over the years I've gone up the T's with all sorts and sizes of people and for the most part been fine. But now it seems past injuries are catching up on me and that is no longer the case. I'm sure you can understand that it's a risk I'd rather not take.

I'll say again though, on a busy day I would feel like I was holding up the line so would avoid the T-bar all together if I could (easy at Glenshee for example). But that can't be done at Nevis for example (where the queue is rarely long enough that going double matters anyway to be fair) and Glencoe when they don't have the top button running.

And that raises another point for the ride it double or FO opinion: if I look at the lift schedule before leaving and the top button says "opening" or "Scheduled" (as it did last week) and I get there and it's not............

Again, I'll caveat all that by saying that I know this is my issue and I would wherever I can avoid using a busy T as a first choice anyway as I do understand its a 2 man lift. All I'm trying to point out is that there are some (albeit few and far between) genuine reasons for riding alone when no other uplift is available.

I still agree that you should if you physically can and with a skier if possible.

Oh an I never asked for any highspeed chair lift. I like the drags in Scotland so that blows your theory! smiling smiley

And as another chuckle, I'd like to find a skier a foot and a half taller than me to see if it does make it easier! smiling smiley
Hipennine

Date Posted: 12.34hrs on Tue 22 Feb 11
gaz5m,

I appreciate your problem, and I'd agree about the top button being advertised as scheduled and not running (Mrs HiP who is a skier will just not ride T bars most of the time because of the effect on female hips, so I'm glad I didn't invite her up that day). What really gets me is a group of say 4 boarders, who are boarding together, all insisting on riding up a T as singles (and then 3 of them falling off half way up).
DaveA

Last Visited: 00:06
19th Jan 2015
Date Posted: 13.11hrs on Tue 22 Feb 11
sometimes it is hard to figure out where the 'back' of a queue is, so you think you might have joined in the back but others might think that you have actually joined in the middle - eg when better skiers carry enough speed to get up a slight incline to the bottom of a tow, but the less skilled / confident persons have had to unclip / pole up the hill to get to the actual queue where people are standing waiting to get on the tow. does that count as jumping in? i don't think so but maybe the people trudging uphill as i zip by think otherwise.

the point i am trying to make in a rather rambling manner is that it is not always black and white and hence 'survival of the fittest' comes into play
shagger

Last Visited: 19:36
30th Apr 2011
Date Posted: 13.30hrs on Tue 22 Feb 11
I really wish I could "man up" like some of the posters on here, they're my heroes really

I was at glencoe Saturday just gone, I rode down to the plateau poma a couple of times, the queue went away from the access chair lift. Several people came from the access chair lift, round the back of the poma, stood near the loading point of the poma and shuffled forwards in to the queue instead of going to the back of the queue.

This wasn't directly in front of me, so to have said something would have meant shouting right over. I waited until I got to the front and had a go at the liftie, asking why he allows people to do it, all I got was a gormless look.

I've had goes at people before and they just stare at you as if they can't believe somebody is daring to have a go, as if it's their god given right to push in

The best one was at the summit poma at the Nevis range, where the red mist got the better of me and I ended up pushing over a bloke (skier) who was with his daughter. He swore a bit but ultimately did nothing.

More direct action is required to deal with queue jumpers
headnip

Last Visited: 07:32
26th May 2016
Date Posted: 14.44hrs on Tue 22 Feb 11
On a slightly different note, what if the person has a genuine reason for not going up double? I have a weak knee which generally doesn't cause me any problems on the hill. It comes (the physio tells me) from a stretching of some muscle or other that links the knee to the hip. I went to Glencoe in January and when the Main Basin T queue got long I was happy enough to double up with a skier.
When I got to the top (skier was about a foot and a half smaller than me) my hip was dying from being pulled up in a weird position to compensate. Got to the bottom, knee dead, day over and 5 weeks out.
yeah dude got the same problem myself ligament damage from a early season altercation with an ice boulder which is fine except when twisted on a t-bar
Point being Ive got a minor injury what if the customer is seriously disabled ie an amputee who looks completely able do they have to wear a badge saying theyre disabled so that dorks dont shout at them for not doubling up?
daveski

Last Visited: 10:01
28th Apr 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 15.00hrs on Tue 22 Feb 11
Phew - I thought for a moment that this was all happening at Cairgorm, thanks for clarification

Lives2fly

Last Visited: 08:38
31st Aug 2011
Date Posted: 10.24hrs on Mon 7 Mar 11
I was at Cairngorm on Saturday after 3 weeks in France and I have to say that our supposedly polite method of queueing is just stupid.

Its frustrating, visitors don't understand it, its not easy to tell which of multiple lines you are supposed to join even when you are used to it, it doesn't make the queue go faster and it gives self riteous twats the opportunity to have a hissy fit because they got on the lift 30 seconds later than they would have done if some guy hadn't joined the line in front of him so he could chat to his mate.

The french system of everyone just shuffling forward in no particular order works fine and moves a lot more people a lot more quickly. As long as nobody is too aggressive or too passive its a far superior way to load uplift.

Careful who you start a fight with by the way winking smiley
Nelbert

Last Visited: 16:26
23rd Aug 2015
Date Posted: 21.10hrs on Wed 9 Mar 11
My board disagrees with the French system of queuing. Damn skiers have taken an unbelievable amount of chips out of the top of it.

Some of them are sensible but many just ride right over the top of your board. I particularly enjoyed using the right boot block for either the pain in the ass ones that don't give you an inch to move, or those trying to squeeze their skis into a gap that didn't actually exist.
veletron

Last Visited: 14:46
1st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 15.03hrs on Sat 12 Mar 11
Nelbert Wrote:
My board disagrees with the French system of queuing. Damn skiers have taken an unbelievable amount of chips out of the top of it.

Some of them are sensible but many just ride right over the top of your board. I particularly enjoyed using the right boot block for either the pain in the ass ones that don't give you an inch to move, or those trying to squeeze their skis into a gap that didn't actually exist.

Damn right, brand new skis look trashed after a week in Switzerland due to others (mostly skiers) running their pre-trashed/hire gear over the back/front of ma Skis. B*stards!

I was thinking of getting a sticker for my Skis "Get of ma 'kin ski's or i'll poke ya wi me pole" B*stards!!

Nigel
Goto Page:  Previous123
Current Page:3 of 3
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: