You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Lionel

Anyone went skiing to Val Thorens ?
Date Posted: 13.53hrs on Tue 22 Feb 11
A British friend is asking me about Val Thorens but I never went skiing there.

For those who know the resort would you consider that it's a good resort for families ?

What about late season snow ? I am sure there is plenty as it's the highest resort in Europe.

Thanks very much for your feedback.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 13.53hrs Tue 22 Feb 11 by Lionel.
Stephen

Re: Anyone went skiing to Val Thorens ?
Date Posted: 22.25hrs on Tue 22 Feb 11
Visited Val Thorens about 20 years ago and it's pretty much a collection of hotels and apartments surrounded by ski lifts and cable cars. There should be no problem with a lack of snow as the town is close to a glacier. Although not a particularly scenic place (above the tree line), the resort is part of the 3 vallees network and it's easy to reach the other resorts in the area. I stayed in Meribel-Mottaret and from there to Val Thorens and back makes a good day outing.

Hope this helps.

Snow-Bunny

Date Posted: 09.13hrs on Wed 23 Feb 11
Lionel I echo Stephens comments. Skied in and around Val Thoren's a lot of times. Quite a soleless place but for late season skiing it should be great. Loads of variety for early intermediate level and above skiers as well as good off-piste and touring potential. For me the gem were the 2 old chairs over in the Orelle valley. Offering piste and very tranquile off-piste skiing. The steep stuff off of Cime d' Carron (off piste) is great and consistently long and steep.
Down side as ever will be the bottleneck to get the Cable car up the Cime d' Carron however if you want to get to the Orelle valley the easier route and as I have observed the less busy is via the Grand Fond. Down into Les Menuires can be fun with a wonderful little restaurant beside the piste but for skiing in Les Menuires a personal preference is for the Ponte de la masse area
dhorsley

Date Posted: 15.28hrs on Mon 28 Feb 11
The one thing i don't like about val thoren is the height - fine for skiing, but I found the altitude hard to cope with when staying there as well, much prefered to stay lower down the mountain and just ski at altitude.
veletron

Date Posted: 21.40hrs on Mon 28 Feb 11
Snow-Bunny Wrote:
with a wonderful little restaurant beside the piste but for skiing in Les Menuires

You'll be talking about 'La Ferme' ?? Excellent resturant that does superb burgers!! Went over there from Merribel for lunch twice during last years trip to the 3-valleys!

Nigel
telemarker

Date Posted: 10.56hrs on Tue 1 Mar 11
"For me the gem were the 2 old chairs over in the Orelle valley. Offering piste and very tranquile off-piste skiing."

A 2nd vote for Orelle valley - went over there with the telemarkskico - just for that reason - quiet offpiste skiing.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: