You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Snowweasel

Last Visited: 11:14
16th Apr 2021
Your and You're
Date Posted: 11.14hrs on Tue 29 Nov 11
Call me a grumpy nit picker if you like, but I have to point out a couple of common grammatical mistakesthat crop up on Winterhighland a lot.
There is a difference between " you're" and " your"and ,yes, it does matter!
In " you're" the apostrophe is replacing the missing letter in " you are", as in " You're joking" ( You are joking).
"Your",on the other hand, refers to belonging, as in "you have dropped your gloves".

So writing something like " At this point your at the top of the best run" makes no real sense. It should be " At this point you're ( you are) at the top of the best run" .
Lesson over. Hope the snow comes soon.
Lionel

Last Visited: 01:15
26th Nov 2017
Re: Your and You're
Date Posted: 13.12hrs on Tue 29 Nov 11
Hi Snowweasel,

Thanks very much for this grammar lesson. I am a language teacher and I love discussions about grammar and languages in general. I think English is a beautiful and difficult tongue. I've got a question to ask you or any forumer here.

Could I say or write : "Your Majesty is at the top of the best run" or shall I say "His or Her Majesty ? I am asking this because a few years ago when I was hillwalking with some Winterhighlanders near Breamar we got lost and eventually in the deepest forest we met by accident Her Majesty the Queen.

Greetings from the Alps,

Lionel
Snowweasel

16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.58hrs on Tue 29 Nov 11
Hi Lionel, great question!
I'm told( but I have never met the Queen, or any of the Royal Family, to put it into practice,) that when you first meet the Queen you are supposed to say "Hello, your Royal Highness" or " Your Majesty" . After that you just call the Queen " Ma'am"( short for Madame) to rhyme with "jam" .
So if you were to meet the Queen at the top of the White Lady, you would be quite right to say
"Your Majesty is at the top of the best run" .After that you could say
" Great turns, Ma'am" or even " Look out for that patch of heather, Ma'am!" as she skiied down.

Incidently I just spotted the wrong use of "your" by Winterhighland's very own Alan in the thread on snow fences.........

You don't always want the most efficient fence possible though, if your relying mainly on drifting snow over a long fetch you need to consider the downwind consequences of your snow fence.

Oh no , Alan! Should be if YOU ARE relying ......

daveski

Last Visited: 10:01
28th Apr 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 13.48hrs on Wed 30 Nov 11
ur works just as well for me smiling smiley
naefearjustbeer

Last Visited: 23:28
22nd Nov 2015
Date Posted: 19.11hrs on Wed 30 Nov 11
From a dyslexic begger like me I cannot tell what's right and what's wrong and I rely on a spell checker to keep me right but that doesn't do grammar checks so I am probably an unknowing offender
Snowweasel

16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 11.12hrs on Thu 1 Dec 11
daveski Wrote:
ur works just as well for me

But does it work for those reading what you have written?
The point about grammar rules is that they make everything clear and understandable to everyone.
Text speak is fine for texting or tweeting when space is important, but somewhere like Winterhighland, where there are no restrictions on space, is the place for some "proper" grammar and spelling.
Like Lionel, I'll declare an interest...I used to teach English, so this stuff is important to me!
C'mon the snow...then I can start thinking about important stuff!
cmorrison

Last Visited: 10:36
21st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 13.18hrs on Thu 1 Dec 11
Your gone to far; Their is know reason, too get to offended. By rubbish grammar;
Hipennine

Date Posted: 17.25hrs on Thu 1 Dec 11
I would of known what yous is on about if ad of gone to a proper school.
paddymore

Last Visited: 13:07
4th Jan 2012
Date Posted: 18.17hrs on Thu 1 Dec 11

Dont worry you'reself about them Snowweasal, their just have there fun with you they're

(we said we'd never use all that stuff, and we were right grinning smiley))

mon da snaw

Barry
daveski

Last Visited: 10:01
28th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 08.34hrs on Fri 2 Dec 11
Snowweasel Wrote:
daveski Wrote:
ur works just as well for me
But does it work for those reading what you have written?
The point about grammar rules is that they make everything clear and understandable to everyone.
Text speak is fine for texting or tweeting when space is important, but somewhere like Winterhighland, where there are no restrictions on space, is the place for some "proper" grammar and spelling.
Like Lionel, I'll declare an interest...I used to teach English, so this stuff is important to me!
C'mon the snow...then I can start thinking about important stuff!

Snowweasel - I hope I did not offend, on a more serious note, I actually agree with you, though I doubt I will ever match your (now have me doubting if that is the correct use of your) level of understanding or have your appreciation.

One thing I have observed is that when using a keyboard, especially when typing quickly and I remember to review, I find I always type their instead of there, even though I know the difference, I never make that mistake when writing.
deleted

Last Visited: 16:26
19th Dec 2011
Date Posted: 19.56hrs on Tue 6 Dec 11
Ive heard that there's no "i" in team, but there's a "you" in @#$%&

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: