You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
shootingmike

Last Visited: 21:41
16th Feb 2016
Sledging Near Aviemore
Date Posted: 21.39hrs on Tue 20 Dec 11
Coming up to Aviemore with the family and friends in Feb half term and will be skiing on 3 or 4 days out of the week... (my legs can only take this!)

On the rest days, I'm trying to think of things to do that don't cost the earth and snow permitting would like to do some good old family sledging / messing about in the snow.

Is there anywhere off the Glenmore road that would be suitable? We only came up for four days last season and other than a quick visit to Loch Morlich beach for some photos, we didn't really explore.
Also, just been playing around on google maps and noticed there's a lovely looking lake to the East of Glenmore lodge that i've never noticed before. Might that be a good location??
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: Sledging Near Aviemore
Date Posted: 22.38hrs on Tue 20 Dec 11
The hayfield by the snowgates at Glenmore is excellent for sledging, but can get particularly busy. It's got varying gradients and a long flat run out.

If there is snow to the villages then the area between Grampian Road in Aviemore and the Four Seasons Hotel (just opposite Mountain Spirit) is another popular spot day and night for sledging.

If there's no snow lower down, CairnGorm have a sledge park adjacent to the Ptarmigan Restaurant - but you have to pay for hire sledges.
nicko

Last Visited: 22:37
6th Feb 2019
Date Posted: 00.24hrs on Wed 21 Dec 11
NE of Glenmore Lodge is Lochan Uaine (the Green Lochan). The slopes you might have seen on a map, on its E side, are perfectly angled for some high speed sledging BUT it is composed of boulders with a run out into the Lochan - conditions would have to be extreme and the sledgers fearless for it to be suitable for sledging! However it is an easy, popular, pleasant walk to the Green Lochan with prospect of linking various routes for return including going on and then up and over Meal a'Bhuiridh,
and there may be good sledge spots on the back way down!

Happy Days
shootingmike

16th Feb 2016
Date Posted: 13.52hrs on Wed 21 Dec 11
Thanks for the replies chaps.
Olderalan

Last Visited: 15:23
7th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 18.10hrs on Wed 21 Dec 11
You could take a walk into Spey Valley Golf Course (Dalfaber) There are some good hills in there, Follow the course signage and you'll find a good length hill from the 3rd Green. Guaranteed to be very much less busy than the Hayfield.
Depending on where you are staying, you might be able to go sledging without having to use your car to get there.

Kind regards

Olderalan
shootingmike

16th Feb 2016
Date Posted: 13.59hrs on Thu 22 Dec 11
I didn't think of the golf course... We're staying on the new estate opposite the golf course but do you reckon we'd get in trouble for messing around on the course? I realise nobody will be playing in snow but there's bound to be some official or other knocking around??
Olderalan

Last Visited: 15:23
7th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 10.31hrs on Fri 23 Dec 11
I reckon that if you just stay off the greens then nobody will be bothered. Pretty unlikely that any greenkeeping staff will be around over the holidays.
I hope that you do get some snow to enjoy.

Kind regards

Olderalan
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: