You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
Hustler

Last Visited: 07:52
19th Aug 2019
Re: Clyde Wind Farm ... metastasising !
Date Posted: 13.16hrs on Fri 6 Dec 13
Destroyed?
That's a bit of histrionics is it not?
The view is still there, it has simply changed. Would you prefer a coal, nuclear or gas power station sat there in place of the turbines?
I think they're elegant engineering and are now an essential element of this human created landscape. In another 50 years, like most of us they will be gone and the land will still be there..
WindyMiller

Last Visited: 17:31
1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 15.55hrs on Fri 6 Dec 13
Hustler Wrote:
Destroyed?

The view is still there, it has simply changed. Would you prefer a coal, nuclear or gas power station sat there in place of the turbines?
I think they're elegant engineering and are now an essential element of this human created landscape. In another 50 years, like most of us they will be gone and the land will still be there..

As a scientist and engineer myself I don't want to be pulled into the pros and cons of turbines my question was why do we stick to white when other countries have researched and implemented improvements in the last 15 years.

And yes the pseudo natural view (all of Scotland has been changed in some way over the centuries) for me was destroyed, I will only be around for another 25-30 years so they will be there for my life time. The Cairngorm NP planning is very strict bordering on being ridiculous for some decisions if you are not part of the Speyside mafia. Having turbines in bright white bordering the NP is not well thought out.

On my green soap box I would prefer the money spent on wind power to be invested in tidal very reliable source of power, especial for an island like ours,just needs the engineering sorted out. And don't get me started on micro hydro power, we knew how to do that 150+ years ago and we have forgotten or don't care.
Hustler

Last Visited: 07:52
19th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 19.43hrs on Fri 6 Dec 13
Sometimes the Highlands lead the way.
Micro Hydro for public consumption began there at Fort Augustus Abbey, around 1890. The villagers had electricity in their homes before Queen Victoria did! Water was abstracted at the Culachy bridge over the Tarff and ran in an open lade for a full kilometre before dropping maybe 6-7m into the wee turbine house. The early monks obviously appreciated some home comforts in their abbey.

Personally, I don't see that the pale grey turbines are any worse than hundreds of conventional pylons we grew up with across the Highlands or my own favourite demon, the harsh scars of new access tracks driven into the hills by selfish landowners. The Angus glens are all scarred by these now, every bit as obtrusive to my eyes as the relatively elegant lines of a turbine.
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: