You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Gartcoshyy

Last Visited: 12:16
19th Feb 2018
When to use snow chains
Date Posted: 11.08hrs on Sun 2 Dec 12
Hi guys,

I know this may sound pretty trivial but I thought I'd ask anyway... I've been driving to the resorts (Mainly Glenshee and Nevis) for the past 3 years...
I've just bought some chains and I'm wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on when and where it's appropriate to use them. Obviously a lot of common sense and judgment is involved but rough guide to the minimum snow depth before I'd start churning up the road? As far as I'm aware your looking to have a fair depth of fresh snow or compact snow and do no more than what 30mph?
Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Re: When to use snow chains
Date Posted: 22.48hrs on Sun 2 Dec 12
I'm not trying to be smart, but you should have put your dosh towards Winter tyres mate.
cmorrison

Last Visited: 10:36
21st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 09.16hrs on Mon 3 Dec 12
Times to use snow chains:

1. Driving on top of snow not tarmac.
2. You're stuck (normally on a hill) and you can't get going. Pop on the snow chains till you are on flat ground and then take them off.

Agree with gorminator. Unless you plan on going a long way off the beaten track or taking your car to the alps winter tyres are a much better investment (although significantly dearer).
Gartcoshyy

Last Visited: 12:16
19th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 13.13hrs on Mon 3 Dec 12
Winter tyres were on my list for this year however after moving to London it's not really financially viable to put winter tyres on whilst doing 90% of my driving in and around London. Also with the commute from London to Glasgow once a month I was strongly advised by a friend and local garage not to get winter tyres unless I wanted to spend more money on fuel and replace them more often. Chains offered a cheaper alternative for the rare occasions I may encounter heavy snowfall.
Pyranha

Last Visited: 16:01
17th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 18.42hrs on Mon 3 Dec 12
I suspect that any time chains might be useful on most UK roads, the road is likely to be closed, largely because so few people have them. And if the road is open, you'll soon be stuck behind someone who has no grip.
daveski

Last Visited: 10:01
28th Apr 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 18.47hrs on Mon 3 Dec 12
Pyranha Wrote:
I suspect that any time chains might be useful on most UK roads, the road is likely to be closed, largely because so few people have them. And if the road is open, you'll soon be stuck behind someone who has no grip.

Or you can drive past them with a smug smile smiling smiley

oldagedpredator

Last Visited: 18:17
19th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 19.12hrs on Mon 3 Dec 12
Not as much as I used to since getting winter tyres. Chains - now mainly where its steep / covered with snow. Mostly getting about the North Pennines and the Weardale tow road (because its in the rules). None of the Scotish ski centre roads look as bad. Tend to alwasy carry chains in winter but suspect I'll be putting them on to get upto Glenshee. Not been to Lecht but looking at the road on the map possibly there as well.

I've only got budget snow tyres, they're going on for the third season. If you can store them they are worth having.
Peter Thorn

Last Visited: 09:17
16th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 10.53hrs on Fri 7 Dec 12
Gartcoshyy Wrote:
I was strongly advised by a friend and local garage not to get winter tyres unless I wanted to spend more money on fuel and replace them more often.

I've not found my snow tyres wear any more quickly than ordinary summer tyres. Also I've not noticed any huge difference in fuel useage.

On the use of snow chains. I rarely use mine & then only for short distances: to get started on a hill or get out of a car park or along the track to my house. You definately shouldn't use them on tarmac or very thin snow cover. You haven't wasted your money as they could get you out of trouble. Just make sure you know how to put them on in a blizzard in the dark.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 10.56hrs Fri 7 Dec 12 by Peter Thorn.
Peter Thorn

Last Visited: 09:17
16th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 10.57hrs on Fri 7 Dec 12
One other tip with snow chains is not to drive too far before checking they are on properly.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 10.58hrs Fri 7 Dec 12 by Peter Thorn.
brian-hall

Last Visited: 08:20
17th Mar 2018
Date Posted: 20.18hrs on Sun 9 Dec 12
Forget the chains and buy snow socks.
paisleyboarder

Last Visited: 19:44
15th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 21.36hrs on Tue 11 Dec 12
I bought a set of these last year, still to try them out but reckon they will be much better than snow socks, and they won't get soaking wet once they have been used on snow. Although I have Alpin tyres on my car got them just in case.

[m.youtube.com]
seocan

Last Visited: 12:35
12th Jun 2016
Date Posted: 17.08hrs on Fri 28 Dec 12
Gartcoshy, some negative nonsense like the opinionated tripe you get in UKC in some of those replies. Anyway, judging by the question I think you know the answer already. Common sense, and when you are just about to stick, or have stuck. When the snow is thin just take your time as not only will you rip the road up but you'll rattle your vehicle to bits. I've only ever used mine for short distances to get me through or up or out of stuff. As for whether your purchase is sound, over the years I have had a number of days at glenshee when the carpark is near empty because of numbnuts skittering around on devils elbow side, winter tyred or not. Chain up and trundle past. Like all other precautions you may never use them but when you need them and they're in the boot then you'll be glad you bought them. There is some sound advice above as well, check them after you you move 50yds or so, know how to put themm on in the dark, and have a spare pair of gloves handy.
veletron

Last Visited: 14:46
1st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 09.17hrs on Mon 7 Jan 13
I've twice gotten stuck heading up the spittal side of Glenshee, and twice gotten going after having fitted snow socks. This is in a 3.5T FWD loaded van. I have since bought winter Tyres so it will be interesting to see if I need the socks next time. (If Glenshee ever gets enough snow to to make it worth a visit)

I also carry full on chains, a spade, a rough old curtain!, a bag of cat litter and a tow rope. On one occasion I towed a car up the spittal side (with the socks), past all the stuck cars. Socks are great!

Nigel

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 09.20hrs Mon 7 Jan 13 by veletron.
veletron

Last Visited: 14:46
1st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 09.22hrs on Mon 7 Jan 13
Tip: At the start of each season go have a practice fitting your chains. It makes it much quicker when you need to do it for real in the freezing cold.
daveski

Last Visited: 10:01
28th Apr 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 12.06hrs on Mon 7 Jan 13
veletron Wrote:
a bag of cat litterEdited 1 times. Last edit at 09.20hrs Mon 7 Jan 13 by veletron.

Is that to keep in the van in case you do get stuck for a long time? very environemtnally friendly smiling smiley

Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: