You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Soothsinger

Last Visited: 12:15
14th Dec 2020
Snowsports Social Scene
Date Posted: 11.49hrs on Thu 6 Dec 12
Does a social scene exsist within the snowsports community?

I know that it exsists within the university clubs, but what about outside?

I hear of very few snowsports enthuasists social gatherings.

If it exsists, is only for the people who work within the industry?

www.DavidAJack.co.uk
Soothsinger

14th Dec 2020
Re: Snowsports Social Scene
Date Posted: 11.50hrs on Thu 6 Dec 12
Also I apologise for using the word "scene".

"Community" could also be used.

www.DavidAJack.co.uk
Peter Thorn

Last Visited: 09:17
16th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 10.44hrs on Fri 7 Dec 12
At its peak of membership, back in the 60's-70's Snowsport Scotland had over 90 member clubs representing 14,000 skiers. Added to this there was also university, youth groups etc which had associate membership which brought up the total number of skiers involved with Snowsport Scotland to over 24,000 in Scotland. Currently SnSc has 35 member clubs representing 6300 skier + 700 coaching members. I understand there was a far livelier social scene.

The decline in numbers are probably mostly due to the increase in car ownership over the years. Back in the 60's a lot of clubs laid on coaches to the ski centres which was a major reason for joining a club back then. I suspect coach journeys were jolly affairs with pub stops on the way home. Supposedly there was also a TV programme that bussed groups of skiers to a venue for a bit of televised apres ski - Scottish style. I got all this from Ed Rattray's book "Scottish Skiing. The Golden Years 1950-1990".

Doesn't really answer your question about the current social scene. I belong to a ski club but we don't many social activities away from skiing but other clubs might be different. Anyway in these days of the internet & Facebook why do we need to meet people!!
Soothsinger

14th Dec 2020
Date Posted: 11.20hrs on Fri 7 Dec 12
I always try and find some apres ski when I come of the mountain. Closest thing I've found was the Bridge of Cally Hotel next to Glenshee, and it's not exactly party central.

The pubs around the slopes don't really try to organise any apres ski events, which is a shame to be honest.

www.DavidAJack.co.uk
Mike_w

Last Visited: 06:19
12th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 22.00hrs on Sun 9 Dec 12
A few years ago "older alan" organised an informal weekend at cairngorm. Had a good night at glenmore lodge.

Mike in Edinburgh
Assorted scottish pics - www.prog99.com
johnDUB

Last Visited: 12:29
28th Feb 2013
Date Posted: 00.32hrs on Sun 13 Jan 13
I remember the old club being quite throng once bitd.

I was at Tamworth wed morning and the Derby and Joan ski club were in. 45 mins to get ready and they only did 4 runs. Purple rinses everywhere lol.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 00.34hrs Sun 13 Jan 13 by johnDUB.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: