You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Doug_Bryce

Anyone driven up the A9 recently ? Beauly-Denny super plyons
Date Posted: 13.04hrs on Mon 22 Jul 13
Anyone driven up the A9 / Lagan road recently? Sadly the new 60m 'super plylons' are a real eye sore sad smiley Not to mention the miles of access roads constructed as part of the project....

I am no tree hugging hippy and understand the benefits / requirement of the new Beauly-Denny power line. However surely the most sensitive sections could have been put underground? Was really shocked when I saw the size of the newly erected pylons - sadly the landscape around Drumochter will never be the same again.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Edited 6 times. Last edit at 13.29hrs Mon 22 Jul 13 by Doug_Bryce.
Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Re: Anyone driven up the A9 recently ? Beauly-Denny super plyons
Date Posted: 09.01hrs on Thu 25 Jul 13
Aye Doug. It appears the whole pylon thing was a bit of a con. When I was using the train a lot last year I could see that the groundworks created for the route were akin to a new road in most places.

Drumochter Pass area has basically been ripped apart. There has also been a lot of estate tracks being built in that area.

When dualling the A9 eventually gets going (yawn) there will be more large groundworks. Would it have been too sensible to have combined the two. Or am I just being my usual cynical self !
oldagedpredator

Last Visited: 18:17
19th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 14.02hrs on Sat 3 Aug 13
I was really surprised by the amount of work done just to get to the point of putting the pylons in. If everything had to be pulled apart and dug up then there doesn't seem to be a case for pylons on less disturbance. Seem to remember reading something about it being the cooling of the cables underground.

Some of the places it looked like new pylons were going to be placed along the A9 seem a little too close not to need moving when dualing occurs.
Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 20.38hrs on Mon 5 Aug 13
If Dualling ever happens !
DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 10.11hrs on Thu 26 Sep 13
I am presuming the track between the pylons will be landscaped once construction is complete?
tupp

Date Posted: 19.55hrs on Mon 7 Oct 13
I've heard that the nuts and bolts on these super pylons were poorly coated. My "source" says that each and every one already fitted, will have to be changed!

Ha,ha, that's an awful lot of lefty loosey, righty tighty!
Nude_Model

Last Visited: 09:39
26th Jan 2014
Date Posted: 15.59hrs on Tue 31 Dec 13
I'm an engineer for Balfour Beatty

The access roads are going to be dug out and the material sold back to Breedon Aggregates for £10 per ton, SSE actually bought the original aggregates from Breed on for £25 per ton. Total farce in my view. All the aggregate is going back to Meadowside quarry at Kincraig

Each leg of an inline tower has 30 cubic metres of concrete, the bigger towers that are on a bend have 40 cubic metres per leg.

The line is now going out west from beauly to mossford, they are smaller pylons, needing less concrete.
Nude_Model

Last Visited: 09:39
26th Jan 2014
Date Posted: 16.01hrs on Tue 31 Dec 13
tupp Wrote:
I've heard that the nuts and bolts on these super pylons were poorly coated. My "source" says that each and every one already fitted, will have to be changed!

Ha,ha, that's an awful lot of lefty loosey, righty tighty!

Total nonsense
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: