You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
daveski

Last Visited: 10:01
28th Apr 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: Please don't go
Date Posted: 14.30hrs on Wed 20 Aug 14
doofdoofdoof - seesm that you have been doing a bit of research - mind if I re-use some of it?

growwild

Date Posted: 00.12hrs on Tue 26 Aug 14
If Scotland could sing - [www.youtube.com]
MartinT

Last Visited: 22:51
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 22.48hrs on Sat 13 Sep 14
I agree with the original poster, but won't ask you to vote Yes/No as it's not my decision it's yours (if you're in Scotland).

I think the official Yes campaign have let you down, especially on the currency debate. They should have proposed outright a new currency at least 6 months ago anything else means compromise economically which means no true independence. To me this belies the poor economic sense of the SNP. Using the UK pound is just a non-starter for a truly independent, new foreign country.

[coppolacomment.blogspot.co.uk]

So the choice at the moment is 'Yes' = partial independence(due to currency issues) or 'No' = partial independence (through increased devolution). Not much of a choice really is it?

As for complaints about the Tories not being representative to Scottish voting, this is temporary. It wasn't long ago that the cabinet was full of Labour & Scots (Gordon Brown et al). And there is already Holyrood.

1 Million Scots below the poverty line, is that real poverty or relative poverty? Go to a real third world country to see real poverty (I have, in Egypt). The Uk is really not that bad.. try being gay in Russia, a woman driver in Saudi or poor and ill in the US! Already Scots have unfair advantages over English: free prescriptions, free university education, it's not all bad is it?!

In summary I think an artificial schism has been created between England and Scotland by folk who want to grab power for themselves stoking resentment with constant calls of 'Bullying by Westminster'. If Scots want independence then it could work like Norway, but that is not what is being proposed (they have their own currency). Current predictions are at 50/50 or thereabouts, hardly a great mandate for irreversible change is it? Perhaps referendums like this should request 60% in favour to ratify to cover the 10% (at least) of voters that are just completely misinformed and vote with heart only?

Disclosure: I'm from the North of England, but live in the South. I studied in Scotland for 4 yrs (it was a really nice place, though got some anti-english stick whilst Braveheart was out in the cinema) and skied every year from age 8 to 22 (sporadically since) in the highlands..

growwild

Date Posted: 22.09hrs on Mon 15 Sep 14
The more informed are more likely to vote yes....

MartinT

16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 18.36hrs on Tue 16 Sep 14
"The more informed are more likely to vote yes.... "

Of the people you know you mean. I have the opposite experience! That's the beauty of democracy I suppose. Not long to go now, either way like I said there's going to be a lot of cheesed off people.
growwild

Date Posted: 21.55hrs on Tue 16 Sep 14
Naw, that little bit of 'fact' came fae the state comics, even ones catering tae the furthest of all right fundamental flag waving brits like the 'Scotsman' and turned tae the right Guardian..

There is no Democracy in the UK, the house of lords see to that.

The media are twisting this thing tae fook,as usual they want a fight between the public, I've seen what 2 Scottish guys can dae to 11+ scallies...

Disclosure: I was built on the Clyde then became a 'Sweaty Sock' among other Scotch-Jock related names for a number of years, lived in Manchester and 'worked' in the pub-club game.. Stayed just outside Bath for year or 2 = yawnnnnnn.... Still go doon south the odd time for a flying visit and will after the vote, claymored up and wearing a helmet tongue sticking out smiley

It goes both ways, but the media don't help (the public)

[www.youtube.com]

MartinT

16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 22.29hrs on Wed 17 Sep 14
Even Obama says don't go!

[www.telegraph.co.uk]
growwild

Date Posted: 01.39hrs on Thu 18 Sep 14
Aye, but he's a dober!

What would 'Jesus' do?

[www.youtube.com] I'll puff another fatty tae that....

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 01.39hrs Thu 18 Sep 14 by growwild.
Pippin

Last Visited: 14:23
3rd Mar 2019
Date Posted: 17.06hrs on Fri 19 Sep 14
daveski Wrote:
doofdoofdoof - seesm that you have been doing a bit of research - mind if I re-use some of it?

Yeah, great song, amazing talent and, of course, she actually knew what it was like to be part of a subjugated race, which you clearly don't.

If you don't feel 'free' then you can blame the other 55% who voted for the Union in, what was after all, a free and fair election.

I know, I know, if only you could have it all your own way!
growwild

Date Posted: 21.51hrs on Fri 19 Sep 14
Witnessed a few direct debits being cancelled the night for the BBC tax and had one mair pledge...

Our day will come......

Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: