You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Jo-Jo

advice
Date Posted: 13.06hrs on Wed 19 Jan 05
I'm new to snowboarding and need some advice from all you board veterans! I'm in Scotland so can anyone suggest the best place for new starts up here?

Also, can anyone suggest a good quality beginners board (a girlie one) that won't break the bank? I'd need about a 145cm.

Cheers

boarder

Last Visited: 05:25
29th Dec 2018
Re: advice
Date Posted: 14.04hrs on Wed 19 Jan 05
Not too sure about a girls Board but Lecht is quite good area for beginners. Although all of the Centres have good snowsports schools for lessons, so head anywhere with decent snow and get some lessons if you can.

If you have a Craigdon mountain shop near you, then go to that for advice about a snowboard. If not then go to a local snowsports shop with a good variety of boards for advice. Look around before buying your board, you can often get it cheaper on the internet, although alot of the snowboard shops will match the price if you can find gear cheaper elsewhere.

Another thing to remember is that since your just a begginner, don't let any shop try and persuade you to buy an expensive board , as the you probably wont be able to control it and will break a bone or two!

Oh and have lots of fun!
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 21.36hrs on Wed 19 Jan 05
For beginners watch the snowreports and the forecasts and make your pick between CairnGorm and the Lecht, though if the snow is good lower down the Lecht is the best bet for the first couple of days as you can get to grips with and get on the handle tows much sooner than the T-bars up top at CairnGorm. If the snow is good and the wind strong go to the Lecht, if the otherway about head up CairnGorm as the beginner slopes are up top.
Aimz

Last Visited: 14:07
18th May 2010
Date Posted: 16.00hrs on Fri 21 Jan 05
Hey Jo-Jo

I am new to boarding as well and I like the Lecht (unless its swarming with kids who insist on tearing down the beginner slopes at frightening speeds!), been to Nevis once and used the dry ski slope but found it really difficult as there was bits of wire sticking up all over the place. Small dry ski slope at Loch Insh Watersports is good though!

I got my board (also girlie) from North 57 in Inverness, boots bindings and board package for £300. Seems to be about the average price, but you might want to try looking at Amazon.com (the US site) as they sell snowboards etc for VERY good prices, even including shipping to the UK it works out cheaper, so if you know what board you want then I would try that.

Might be heading up the 'Gorm on Sunday so I let you know how I get on up there as a fellow 'newbie' !

Determined not to fall on my backside with quite so much regularity this time eye popping smiley)
oranwave

Last Visited: 21:00
24th Feb 2005
Date Posted: 16.18hrs on Mon 24 Jan 05
Id say give up on dry slopes, they're useless but i might just be used to snow?

Rory
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: