You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous1234567Next
Current Page:5 of 7
Mattun


Guest
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 15.05hrs on Tue 30 Jan 07
If a petition was to be launched, what would it be asking for? What do we want politicians to do?

In reality, I think it would be extremely difficult to get any "subsidies", The pressure on providing for healthcare etc. would see it struggle to get on the agenda - especially if we were having to "fund" Glasgow on our own smiling smiley

Would it be possible to make a rational business case for public financial support for lift investment? i.e. the investment would bring in more revenue and be paid back? Unfortunaltely, many politicains seem to be convinved that climate change has already seen the end of the Scottish ski industry as a going concern.

It sounds to me like there would be some mileage in trying to get VAT reduced - but legal challenges are expensive.

For its long-term health, I think Scottish snow sports has to preume that public money is unlikely, so perhaps needs to concentrate on getting more revenue. One thing I've noticed is just how many people from Northern England have been on the slopes over the two days I've been up so far. Is this a market with potential (and added benefit of accomodation money coming in. i.e. less likely to be day trippers).

If there was to be centralised public support, perhaps it could come through marketing support to places such as NW and NE England, The Scottish Executives route developemnt fund for airlines has been kaboshed by Brussels - perhaps the money could go towards another way of attracting inward tourism.

I think the message would be something like; "Come to the Highlands for skiing ........ or mountain biking. And just in case, you've got whisky distilleries nearby."

Hope this isn't too much of a ramble!








Snowplough


Guest
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 15.12hrs on Tue 30 Jan 07
William Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> my point, was that in Britain, a passport makes
> you not only a citizen, but British. It's become
> almost embarrasing to say that there is such a
> thing as an indiginous people here. Mention of it,
> and there are immediate howls of racism.
>
> In Japan, the situation is different in that
> foreigners with Japenese passports are not
>
Snowplough


Guest
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 15.33hrs on Tue 30 Jan 07
I wonder how this thorough bred vision you have is going to work in Scotland William. Iíve never lived anywhere but Scotland and neither have my parents or their grandparents but I have an Irish surname. So contrary to what Iíve always thought Iím not Scottish. I better put away my kilt and saltire then! So who are these people that are Scottish?

As for your Japan ďmodelĒ - People whoís great grandparents were born in Japan and have lived there all there life are still legally distinguished from their next door neighbour on the basis that they are not Japanese. That situation in Scotland, the United Kingdom and Europe is unacceptable to the vast majority. It is also racism and illegal.

The Japanese idea of nationality is about as relevant to Scotland as this post is to snowsports!

William


Guest
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 15.55hrs on Tue 30 Jan 07
Therefore, by definition, Japan is racist? (Maybe you will use this judgement whenever you next buy a Japanese appliance or a car etc)

Maybe you should visit it. You will see that Japan is not racist. The example was held as a way in which a modern successful nation can be independent, absorb foreign influence, yet still hold vigoursouly onto it's indigenous culture. If you think that is racist then that is a sad point of view.

Whether this is relevant is up to you. I think it is. Especially in the context of a promised vote on Scottish independence from England. I don't particularly want to see a world in which everything is vanilla flavoured. I think it is pathetic to consider this viewpoint racist.
William


Guest
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 15.59hrs on Tue 30 Jan 07
Snowplough Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That
> situation in Scotland, the United Kingdom and
> Europe is unacceptable to the vast majority. It
> is also racism and illegal.
>

do you have figures to show this?
growwild


Guest
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 16.04hrs on Tue 30 Jan 07
A petition on the VAT issue would be a start maybe, its shocking how Scotland is treated different to other nations, I'm sure the resorts could do with the extra cash...
Mattun


Guest
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 16.05hrs on Tue 30 Jan 07
Agree - putting pressure on the VAT issue would probably be the most productive way forward.
alan


Posts: 10750
Joined: Nov 1994
Last Visited: 23:28
2nd Dec 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 16.06hrs on Tue 30 Jan 07
Quote:
yet still hold vigoursouly onto it's indigenous culture. If you think that is racist then that is a sad point of view.

Whether this is relevant is up to you. I think it is. Especially in the context of a promised vote on Scottish independence from England.


There is no British indigenous culture - your argument fails because there is not a single easily defined indigenous race/people/culture that is British.

Your second point is flawed - Independence would be a dissolution of the Act of Union, not a breakaway from England. Contrary to what many in the UK think, Scotland is not part of England, far to many people can't grasp the difference between the UK and England!
William


Guest
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 16.21hrs on Tue 30 Jan 07
alan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is no British indigenous culture - your
> argument fails because there is not a single
> easily defined indigenous race/people/culture that
> is British.

oh dear!


William


Guest
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 16.23hrs on Tue 30 Jan 07
alan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Your second point is flawed - Independence would
> be a dissolution of the Act of Union, not a
> breakaway from England. Contrary to what many in
> the UK think, Scotland is not part of England, far
> to many people can't grasp the difference between
> the UK and England!


England read Westminister. Independence would be a break from Westminister.


alan


Posts: 10750
Joined: Nov 1994
Last Visited: 23:28
2nd Dec 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 16.25hrs on Tue 30 Jan 07
William Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> alan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > There is no British indigenous culture -
> your
> > argument fails because there is not a single
> > easily defined indigenous race/people/culture
> that
> > is British.
>
> oh dear!
>
>

There is indigenous culture in Britain - but there is not an indigenous British Culture.



Edited 2 times. Last edit at 16.25hrs Tue 30 Jan 07 by alan.
William


Guest
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 16.30hrs on Tue 30 Jan 07
huh?
HTH


Guest
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 16.36hrs on Tue 30 Jan 07
If this link works..I think it belongs here, if anywhere..?

[uk.movies.yahoo.com]

If necessary, select the Trailer clip.

On the VAT question, it would produce 17.5% more income to each centre, for the same ticket sales value, and could be the difference between survival or closure in a bad season. - It is an area of EU inconsistency, which is exactly where our MP/MSP/MEP's can help us.
Snowplough


Guest
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 16.42hrs on Tue 30 Jan 07
I have been to Japan William. I am related to a
Snowplough


Guest
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 16.44hrs on Tue 30 Jan 07
I have been to Japan William. I am related to a
Goto Page:  Previous1234567Next
Current Page:5 of 7
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: